One Good Quality Pair Of Shoes Or Lots Of Cheap Pairs?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by SLTE • Dec 12, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I've always been of the opinion that it's wiser to spend a bit more money on a single pair of shoes and then keep them around for several years. They're usually more comfortable than cheaper brands, almost always last longer, and look nicer in general.

My wife, by contrast, often purchases shoes that will only last for three or four months, and they usually suck. They are, however, much cheaper, and every now and then a pair flukes through and lasts a lot longer than expected. I don't know if that's luck or just odds at play.

What's your opinion? One pair of expensive footwear or lots of pairs of cheapies?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe in quality shoes. Poorly made shoes not only cause your feet to hurt but can cause your back to hurt also. I have purchased cheap shoes in the past and had to throw them out because they caused the soles of my feet to burn which was very uncomfortable and painful.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's different as a female, because you need shoes with different heights for different outfits, and ones to go with dresses and others that go with trousers. Men don't have much of a problem with these issues, so that's why women do buy cheap shoes from time to time, because they need it to match an outfit.

Also from a fashion sense, styles go in and out unlike classic male shoes, so you can't afford to always buy quality that will get dated quickly, especially if it's a wild color. Most people have good quality black pumps that go with anything, which are a good investment, and then you can buy cheap sandals which never last more than a couple of seasons.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to spend a little more on quality shoes and have them last longer than have to buy several pairs each because they fall apart, give you blister or don't fit well. With shoes I believe you get what you pay for so I like to buy brand name quality shoes but I go to the outlets. I just bought a beautiful pair of boots at the Bass outlet and they were only $34.99. The fit is great and I know they'll last a few years for sure. I do the same with kids runners, buy brand names and they'll last.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely quality over quantity for me and although these are my main priorities when buying anything - even more so when its comes to shoes.

As not only would I never sacrifice comfort for quantity or looks - but as I value my feet and am not likely to get another pair if I don't look after them - paying that little bit more for quality and comfort is certainly worthwhile - as not only are most quality shoes designed and constructed with foot health in mind - but as they are also extremely durable and stay looking good for an incredibly long time - even with regular wear - they are without doubt excellent value for money too.

6. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    Quality shoes are the way to go for me. I don't like buying a lot of pairs anyways because if I have only one of two I just skip the decision of what to wear and go for the ones that are cleaner.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll prefer quality any time. The work I do dictates so. Buy a cheap pair that gets worn out fast and I'll need to buy so many cheap pairs of shoes that I'll have spent more than triple the amount of money I'd have spent on one or two pairs of quality shoes which will be a little more expensive. So cheap shoes for me aren't an option I'd consider.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also would go for quality over quantity, so I would purchase the expensive ones instead of the cheap ones because I do not want to be buying them quite often because they break easily. I would save more money if I just buy 1 pair of durable and expensive shoes.

9. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you in that I rather a pair of quality shoes compared to a lot of cheaper shoes. I find with the cheaper ones they are never very comfortable so I end up not wearing them as much. I rather spend money on one nice pair of shoes and be able to use them for a few years. I find that an uncomfortable pair of shoes can ruin my night, usually resulting from a cheaper pair.

10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    When it comes to heels or wedges, I will spend the money. I will not risk hurting myself just to be cheap. But when it comes to flats or gym shies I can get away with a cheap pair because I don't have a tendency to wear my shoes out too fast. Although I do have flat feet so if the shoe hurts I'm not wearing it. I also tend to stick with something classic so it can go with multiple outfits.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've worn cheap shoes before and I personally don't like them, and I've been through phases in my life when I've only had one good pair of shoes and even though It was fine I feel as though it wasn't enough since I didn't have variety and the toll on my shoes were too much because it was being used everyday. If it were me I'd much rather just go for having the right amount of averagely priced shoes.

12. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I believe in quality and there are times where cheap isn't good. Though, at the same time a lot of times I may wear something that is cheap. Though, it looks really good and fits my style in the moment. You can say I know that it may not last long but I still will want some cool in the short time. Than something that will last for years but wear sparingly.

13. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Ha! I'm just like your wife, I prefer lots of pairs that are affordable, not exactly cheap. I do have some expensive pairs of shoes, maybe three of them. The rest are affordable, unknown brands and they did hold up well. Some of them are years old already. I think it's because I switch them up and not use them everyday. I am also not that much of an outside person, we only go out on occasion or for very short periods of time. And that has maybe contributed as to why my shoes last long.

14. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Aside from my love for bags, shoes are also my weaknesses. Whenever I would see a beautiful pair of shoes especially stilettos, my eyes would usually glow with admiration. I love having a lot of pairs but quality is also very important for me. I've experienced buying cheap shoes before and the worst pair I bought only lasted for a day. I was attracted to the very cheap price tag but I've learned my lesson after that. The price was cheap but I also paid the price of considering to use something with a very low quality.

15. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    A few years ago I would have said that the more shoes, the better. However, today I would rather have just one good quality pair of shoes. I've been trying to clean out the junk in my house and I've realized that the less you have equals a less stressful life.

16. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a male but I buy a lot of cheap shoes. What I buy are generally knock-offs or also known as Class A's. They look like the original, but they're fake and they cost a lot less. It doesn't matter to me if people say that they get destroyed easily because I haven't gotten a pair yet that didn't last me for less than 2 years. One thing I discovered when it comes to shoes is that they don't wear out fast as long as you prevent them from getting wet. Water is the number one destroyer of shoes in my opinion and not even my original sambas survived once they got wet on the inside.

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would rather have one good quality pair as well. If you ever run into me in person, I'm either wearing some plain black dress shoes or some neutral white sneakers, that's it. Sometimes I will buy both brown and black dress shoes for a little bit of variety, but that's about it. The reason I don't go for quantity over quality is because of both comfort, and if you don't wear a pair of shoes regularly and break them in good, they tend to stiffen up and the leather seems to start to "rot" or go bad on them faster.

18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always say I will buy a pair of black flats that are really good quality but expensive. But I never can! I always cave in and get a bunch of pairs for cheap.
    So I would say I prefer getting many pairs of shoes. But I still do want a good pair to have as a staple on my shoe rack!

19. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    I buy quality shoes, and they've always lasted me at least 2 years per pair, sometimes even longer than that. And actually, I don't pay for them most of the time. My mother works at a high school where most of the kids wear high end clothing, and at the end of the year most of them just leave everything in their lockers. They are given a certain amount of time to come back and get it before the custodians are allowed to take what they want. I get a new pair of shoes that way almost every year.

20. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I think cheap is expensive. I would rather have a good quality shoe
    rather than many cheap shoes. That said and done, you have to be
    careful. Some items have steep price tags attached claiming to be
    original brands but deteriorate quite rapidly on use. So a high
    quality tried and tested second hand shoe is best.