One or multiple grocery stores?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by andrew320 • Jul 11, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Do you shop at one grocery store or multiple ones?

I usually shop at one because it seems to be the cheapest in the city. However, I will shop at a couple if there is a really good sale on something that I use frequently, such as orange juice or chocolate soy.

What about you?

2. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    The only time I shop at different stores is to purchase meat. We tend to be specific with what we want to cook and our neighborhood specialty meat market has an awesome selection and really great prices so we usually purchase out meats from there.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    We do the same thing. The local meat market has a much better selection of meat at much better prices than the grocery store. Other than that, all of our shopping is done at the nearest/cheapest grocery store.

4. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    Chocolate soy? Is it any good?
    My partner and I shop in various grocery stores. However, we try to go to Pick n' Pay (in SA) because he has the card where accumulated points can be turned into cash. It's a bit further from Spar, so these days, since we don't have a car, we normally go to Spar. Pick n' Pay is more affordable and if we want meat, we will order from his mother who knows a butcher and he usually gives her some good discounts for lamb chops, steaks, mince beef etc :D

5. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    If it is just a matter of getting a few things quickly from the shops I will pop in at the shopping centre nearest to me otherwise I will go to the mall. The shopping centre and the mall have the same store so it all depends what's on my 'to do' list for the day and where I will find myself.

6. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I shop at a number of stores but I do have my favorites. I used to love Tesco above most other grocery stores but where I am now, there is no Tesco so I use another store that is similar. There are basically two that I like a lot, there is another one that is cheaper but I dislike the way they treat their staff...so I avoid them.

I am not loyal to any one store though.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I shop at multiple ones, but for different things. The vast majority of my food is bought at Aldi....all the pantry staples, any produce that is good, etc. I do go to Kroger's for things I can't get at Aldi, and for meat generally. Occasionally I will hit them up for specific sales, too. I will sometimes get food from Walmart, but that's only because I'm likely to be in that area or it's on the way to grab something quick.

8. Mudd04

Mudd04New Member

Threads:
    We split our shopping mostly between a discount grocery store here called 'Food for Less' and the Dollar Store. I usually have a friend pick up some better value items in bulk on her frequent trips to Costco like Ramen Noodles and Trash Bags. Not everything always works out to be cheaper at the dollar stores but a lot does. You can find name brand items that were dented, mispackaged or simply overstocked but otherwise totally okay for use. We have several large dollar store chains around Las Vegas.

9. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, I've always shopped at different grocery stores because there is always a few things that one will carry that the other one doesn't. There is also a slight difference in price for a few things in one store or the other. Then, when stores like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods popped up, there was an even new reason to shop at different stores.

I don't usually go to all of them on one day, but if I can combine one or two in a shopping trip, I will. I would feel like I was getting taken if I only shopped at one store as it's easier for them raise prices on certain items while having equal prices on others and that is where you're getting got.

10. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    We go to Costco and one other store that is just around the corner from our place as the prices there are just as good or better than anywhere else. If there is a major sale on something or we need something specific then we will go there as well.

11. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    We shop at multiple places for different food from each one and depending whether there's a sale on anywhere:) I don't mind getting food from some of the lesser known supermarkets aslong as the quality is good.

12. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I do my main shopping at LIDL or Aldi, and then top up from another store that's close to those and also very cheap. You tend to find that stores close to discount stores have lower prices, even if they're big chain stores, because they have to try to take custom from them. If their prices are too high, that won't happen.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I divide my grocery shopping between my local Publix supermarket and Walmart. Walmart has lower prices overall for most grocery items and I do use coupons. But Publix has "buy one ,get one free" sales that sometimes coincide with coupons I have. So if Publix has "buy one ,get one free" toothpaste for $4 and I have 2 coupons, then the toothpaste ends up being two tubes for $2. I have friends who think that shopping at 2 stores and clipping coupons is a waste of time, but I have been at the checkout counter and seen my total go down quite a bit, so I definitely think the extra effort is worth it.

14. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    I go where the sales are. Where I live, there are three supermarkets, one produce market and a Target that sells groceries almost in walking distance. I usually stick with one market for almost everything but meat. I go to a different market for that. My paper goods and household stuff comes from Target and the fruits and vegetables from the produce market. In these times, it's all about saving money.

15. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    We do not have many options to choose from in our town, but most of our shopping is done at one store. The exceptions are if we forgot to buy something on our list or if the produce at our usual grocery store is awful. It is simply more convenient and affordable than making two or three separate shopping trips. Shopping with a toddler in tow, I need things to be as fast and easy as possible!

16. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    With basic commodities around the house, I just buy in one particular store. It's convenient for me to buy what we need for two weeks with just one go. With meat, I buy in our local market because it's way cheaper and it's more fresh than what you can buy in the grocery.

17. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I go to one supermarket to buy all the household things, including meat. Then I go to a produce market a few times a week to buy fresh fruit and vegetables. I do this because the fruit and produce sold at the fruit and produce market is cheaper than in the supermarket.

18. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    The supermarket I go to has got everything I need from fish to meat to vegetables to all the other things I need in the kitchen. There are also special offers now and then. The last one was 2 1kg packets of oat meal for the price of one. Just 3.50 usd.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I shop at multiple stores because no one store carries all the items I like, and they all have different prices on various items I get. I'l hit up Trader Joe's for frozen items and dried goods, a local store called The Mustard Seed for San Marzano tomatoes because they have the best price on them but everything else is priced sky high. I'll hit the local farmers markets for produce. Giant Eagle for general food items and to earn Fuel Perks. And there's a Ukranian specialty foods store near me that I will go to to get some types of food items I cannot find at the other stores.

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I shop at at least 2. One of them is Aldis for all of the super cheap pantry items and whatnot. They don't have absolutely everything at Aldis and Krogers has a lot of sales that I can cash in on. Sometimes I will go to another beyond that, but I don't do them all on the same day.