One or two cats?

Discussion in Pets started by Jennifer • Jul 29, 2012.

1. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Its with great sadness that we had to put down our beloved dog due to a genetic disorder about a month ago. We still have a 2 year old Siamese cat left as a pet. She has always been attached to me but even more so now that her doggy sister isn't around any more. Although she sleeps quite a bit during the day (as cats do) when I get home she is at the front door to greet me and wants to play. I have been toying with the idea of getting another kitten to keep her company. Do you think it is fair to just have one cat or do you feel that a cat should have a companion?

2. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I feel for you for the loss of your pooch, it takes me a very long time to 'let go' of my pets, I love them just as much (if a bit differently) as my human family members. As for your cat...I reckon she is missing her companion and will adapt but I feel that having a mate for her would be great. There are ways of introducing a new kitten into the family though, so that she does not get 'jealous' but as they are pretty social and dependent on each other for certain things - I think a companion would be great for her.

We have four cats and it amazes me to watch them play with each other and clean the parts of the other...like on the top of the head...or the bottom of the chin where they themselves cannot reach. Just beautiful and like people, they need companionship so I would encourage you getting another pet (not that it sounds like you need any encouragement (-:).

3. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    LOL Linky you summed me up well! I think I had already made up my mind about what to do when starting this thread, I just needed confirmation. Thanks for your input. I guess we will have a new addition to our family soon. :)

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I recently read an article by a veterinarian, and he said that dogs are definitely pack animals, so it's better to have two than one, so they're commpany for one another. He went on to say that cats are more independent, and can be happy on their own in the household. However, if another household pet has died, and the cat is left alone after having a companion, they may pine and become more clingy around the human members of the family. I guess that's your answer, although it sounds as if you don't really need to be convinced.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If your cats used to play a lot together, then I can understand why you might want another one. In general, though, cats do just fine on their own. I had a single cat for years and she was actually more upset when we brought another one in. She would've been happier had I left her on her own, I think.

6. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Well, we have two cats and I think it would be awful if they were ever separated because even though they do fight, they do love each other a lot. I think it would depend on if the cat was brought up with others. If the cat was taken home without any other fellow pet then it's not that big of a deal. My fiancee's sister has one cat and she is very, very happy getting all of the attention!

7. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    So sorry about your dog!! :( I think having that companionship after the loss would be good for your cat. Oftentimes, cats want to be alone but I think since yours lost her friend it might be a good idea to get another one.

8. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I think your cat is doing fine being a single cat because it actually already has a very good playmate with bunny ears. No kidding. Why does any cat need another cat when there already is one big, two-legged cat (more or less) to provide all its needs, including entertainment, food and security?

9. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion I would think that bringing another in after your recent loss would kind of mess with the vibes of the house. It may be harder for her to accept another pet after just losing her best friend.

I'm not a cat professional, that's just how it would seem to me.

10. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Is possible for you to um... "borrow" a kitten for a few days? If so get it and bring it in the house for a couple of days to see how your current cat deals. If she seems receptive then fine, but if she seems upset - don't do it. It may be that your cat is reacting to your depression as much as the lack of her old companion. So it could be that you are buying a new pet more for you than for it.

11. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    So sorry for the loss of your dog. I have um well four cats of my own. Well three cats and a kitten. My one cat that ran off or something happened to her was mad when I had brought another cat in the house after we moved into a bigger place. Snickers was the only cat for about two years but eventually she adjusted. Cats are funny, they tend to get mad when another animal is evading their territory (home) unless their raised around another animal but they eventually do adjust even though it takes awhile sometimes. Your cat being a female she may adjust ok to a kitten and may try to mother it. Good uck on whatever you decide.

12. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you to everyone that replied to my thread and your kind words with regards to the loss of our much loved dog, Lehla. I have taken note of everyones opinion in the matter and have decided to give myself a month before I decide what decision to make. Ming-Kee, thats our cat, seems to be adapting well to being the 'only child' in the house and is thriving due to the fact that she is now receiving all the attention. So maybe Esperahol, you may be right, the kitten would probably be more of a comfort to me than for Ming-Kee.

13. Devonte

DevonteNew Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry for your dog. I'm a bit late but doesn't matter. I think, it will hard for you to live without
    a family person. Pets are definitely like that. If you intend to have another dogs, just select siberian
    huskiy.

#13Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  14. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I have two cats, they are great company for each other. I would feel a little uneasy leavin a solitary animal alone all day whilst I am work. As I know they take care of each other.

15. Belindafierce

BelindafierceMember

Threads:
    I have two wonderfully fluffy cats. One a boy and the other a girl. I had my girl (Lilly) for a number of years before adopting my boy cat, Jake. They get along well for the most part, but I have seen my Lilly being a bit pushy to Jake at times.

16. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    First off, I have to say that I love all 3 of my cats very much. That being said, and I know this is going to come across as mean, I do wish I had just stayed with my first cat only. I was like you and thought that another cat would keep him company, but that wasn't the case. Nine years and another added cat later, I've come to realize that my oldest would have been fine as an only cat. In fact, I think they all would have been fine as an only cat. Now, I have 3 cats to feed, take to the vet, buy a license for and clean up after. And the amount of cat fur on our clothing and furniture is also quite frustrating to deal with. As I said, I do love them. But when they go to rainbow Heaven, there will be no more cats in my home. I'm looking forward to not having to have a lint brush in every room in the house and in my car.

17. Susie

SusieNew Member

Threads:
    I used to think that cats needed a companion until a few years ago. I brought home my first kitty cat since years prior. He was a very happy, playful cat who would just curle up in your lap at times. I didn't have any issues with the cat until I decided that he needed a little brother or sister. After picking up the new kitten at the shelter, life has not been the same. I am now convinced that there are certain cats that absolutely don't like any other cats. From my previous experience with cats while I was growing up, they all seemed to get along. I now know that is not always the case. I now am forced to keep the two cats separated in order to keep the first cat from attacking the second cat. Even when the first cat goes outside he gets in fights with the other cats in the neighborhood. Yes, he is neutered. From now on I think I will just stick with one cat at a time.

18. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    It really does depend on the personality of the individual animal. Like humans, cats have preferences including whether they are sociable or not. My sister has two cats that absolutely love one another and they rarely make a move without the other close behind. On the other hand I have two cats that can barely stay in the same room together without giving each other dirty looks.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think that it is but right to get another companion for your cat. To be on the safe side, try getting a kitten instead of a cat, because of territorial and hostility issues. I noticed that adult cats warm up to new kittens instead of new cats.

20. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I'd give your current cat a little time alone to adjust, then bring another animal into the house. One of my cats lost it's life-long companion about a year ago and I wanted something like six months to bring another kitten in. I would be careful as to how old and what gender the new animal is, cats can be picky sometimes. Sibyl took a month to adjust to the new kitten, but is happy to have her around now.