Online and in person studies

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Gelsemium • May 19, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was selected for a study about beer in which I need to report my daily activity for a week online, concerning what I eat and drink, and after I go to a 3 hour meeting to discuss it with other people. I will be paid 80€ and I find it great. Have you done something similar?

2. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    I have never done anything similar to this, but I would like to. I was offered to try out a medication and I turned that one down. I don't want to be the person in an experiment that experienced "suicidal thoughts" as a side effect, heh.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Ouch, I would turn that down too, I would not want to be their rat-person, I think that health doesn't have price. Have you tried to sign up for companies that do these studies I am talking about alexis? I've sent maybe 50 e-mails to the companies I thought that might be doing them and now I am called once in a while.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's a great opportunity Gelsemium!
    I've never done anything like that but I wouldn't think twice about it if the opportunity came up.
    I'm actually registered with a couple of market test companies but when they (rarely) call me I can never make it through the questionnaire, they always tell me I don't qualify for the study, do you have any advice to improve my odds?

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I wish I had, but in fact they are very selective and it's a matter of luck, you really need to have the right profile for it or they will not call you. And even when we are willing to say something that just might qualify us, we cannot because they ask us tons of questions and some of them are the ones that matter, we just don't know which ones.

6. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to get that kind of opportunity if I ever get one. Sounds like an easy and fun task to me with a good pay. Unfortunately I haven't tried something like this yet so I'm going to ask you, how did you get this job?

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Check out post #3 that I made on this thread where I explain what I did whnuien. After "registering" in all those sites it's just a matter of waiting to be contacted and to have the luck to match the profile they are looking for. Once that happens it's really easy money into your pocket, I love when I am called to these studies, they are really well paid.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is some deal you got please post the results. I have never had that opportunity to make money and drink beer. I have heard of the services that want you to take something but I am not eager to add more chemicals to my body.

Good luck.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, no results really, I was on an online platform for one week writing about my eating and drinking habits and at the end we had a meeting with six people (including me) plus the interviewer where we continued the discussion in the same line as in the online platform. Unfortunately there was no beer available to drink, just some beers to comment on the shape of the bottle and the label, but I was happy with the 80€. :)

10. Aprax

ApraxMember

Threads:
    It really depends. Some surveys may have an online component but they're usually in-person focused so that they can directly evaluate you. Good job though!

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I don't think that is the case, at least from the ones I am participating in. At least the interviewers always say that they are recording the sessions audio and video (all confidential of course), but that they don't care what each one of us individually says, they just want the global picture, the input the average consumer that we represent have to give, how we respond to their product.

12. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I've never been chosen for something like there. Like another here, I was also chosen to test some medications, but I would never do that. I mean, I don't know what effect it might have on my body and since I'm being tested, neither do they. Though, if I were chosen to do something remotely as similar as this, then I would totally do this! haha.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think that those medication "studies" are more common in the US that has the huge pharmacy laboratories, at least I've never heard of them here in Portugal. Sadly this past week I had to pass on a 35€ study for 2 hours, I agreed on going, but than I had to leave the city and could not make it, I had to cancel, I hope that didn't hurt my "image" near that agency.

14. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    I wish I could get some kind of offer like that. That sounds like a fun way to earn some easy money.

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    It's not exactly fun 7zer0, but it's good money. One thing you can do is go online looking for all those contacts in your area, send them an application and wait for the contact. I have done this with dozens of companies and I go in average once per month to a study, so it's not bad at all, I pick up money from every single place I can and it makes a difference at the end of the month.

16. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I recently got picked for a study similar to this, but it was all online so it wasn't as well paid as yours Gelsemium.
    It was also for a beer company, for 2 weeks they would post a few "challenges" online and I had to answer them within a set time limit, it wasn't too challenging but it became really boring to do.
    It would be things like evaluating upcoming ads, giving new product ideas, general brainstorming, things like that, just for 30€. It would have been great if it wasn't so dull, but I got paid and that's what counts :)

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think that being everything online is a good advantage, but at the same time I think that the payment is the most important aspect because we want to work to get paid right? Even so I consider that easy money, I mean, not easy, but extra money that we can do with a little less effort than the one we do in our regular jobs. I do all of those studies that I can go to, I don't miss one.

18. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Being online is a definite advantage, if you can take care of that side income while you are your actual job, then all the better :)
    But I think that the ideal is how you described your first situation, having an online component and then going for an actual interview, I think those pay a lot better than just online stuff.
    Do you usually get more jobs online or in person?

19. Gelsemium

Threads:
    The jobs that I get online are the ones that I am looking for and can actually do, mostly surveys and micro-tasking, nothing too much and not much money. If I could get translating jobs that would pay better. Those studies happen just once in a while, but surely they are better paid and yes, when we go there in person the pay is always better.

20. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    If you're interested in translation work, instead of searching for that kind of work on the microtasking sites, try going straight for a company, usually the companies that do subtitles for TV and movies are always hiring people to do just that.
    Of course you mind end up with too much work, if you're just looking for a little something on the side and not a serious job.