Online Purchase of Eye Glasses

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Pat • Feb 19, 2013.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My daughter needs to purchase eye glasses for herself and two children. We shopped at all the usual places, Lenscrafters, Hour Eyes and the like. A friend had suggested to her to check out Zennioptical.com. We were blown away by the price difference between a local provider and the online provider.

Zennioptical has 17,000 positive reviews. Their selection of glasses for the whole family is excellent. The site has all the information needed to make the process of purchasing your new glasses a complete money saving experience.

The local provider quoted a price of $750 and that was a sale price. The complete purchase from Zennioptical.com was $150 for 3 pairs of glasses.

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    That's what you call a bargain, Pat. Not many people realise that you don't have to buy your spectacles from the place where you have your eye test. You are entitled to take the prescription away and get it filled wherever you wish. Obviously, it needs to be a trusted source, as you can't mess around with your eyes, so check on the credentials of your chosen site before placing the order.

This site looks pretty good, and the prices are unbelievable. When I next get my eyes tested, I'll go with them, as they ship worldwide. Even the shipping costs are low. Thanks for the share.

3. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    You can also try Firmoo.com. They also sell very cheap but quality glasses. I got free glasses from them too if you're buying for the first time. You just need to shoulder the shipping fee which isn't much. You should go and check it out. :) They have wide variety which you can choose from. :)

4. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I have terrible vision in my right eye. My lenses always need to be filed down. A quote from an eyeglass store or shop puts me at about $900 plus for my particular specs. But a quote from Warby Parker online, for my 1.74 or 1.80 lenses put me at about $130. I will shop there for my next pair of glasses, which as of now are about due. Considering my last script was 3 years ago.

5. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I recently just started purchasing my contacts online and saved like $70.00. The site I used was contactsexpress.ca because they had the absolute cheapest prices for what I personally needed. But I looked at sites like clearlycontacts and all those and they still have better prices than the in-store chains. Glasses are a little more tricky to buy, but most of these sites have free return policies if you aren't happy the frames. I will definitely buy these items online now though. I just never realized they existed prior.

6. harryca

harrycaNew Member

Threads:
    I am a bit concerned about buying sunglasses online. How can you be sure the lens has the right uv protection and will not harm you eyes? The high price you might pay for a pair of glasses is most of the times the cost of the lens and not the frame so is it safe to buy it online? After all your eyesight is worth more than a couple of bucks...

7. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I would be interested to check this website out in the future. I am way past due having my eyeglasses changed. Mainly because I can't afford the expense of having them changed. Although, I must admit I am bit apprehensive about using such a website. I actually had an eye doctor give me the wrong prescription in the past, which caused me more eye problems. How can you be 100% certain that the website will give you the right prescription. This is just a thought, and I guess the best way to ensure this place is a good deal is to do more research on them and to find out what past customers have said about their service before actually buying eye glasses from them.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never considered buying eye glasses online. My last pair cost me $200 out of pocket. The insurance picked up the remaining $450. The cost of eyeglasses are ridiculous. I don't even get the fancy frames. I do want them to look good on me though.

I really need a new pair. I was considering going to Costco because they have great prices. I will definitely be doing some price comparison with Costco and online sties.

9. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I have never bought a pair of glasses online before, but I am thinking about doing it next time I get my eyes checked (since my current prescription is a bit too old). I have never heard of the site that you are referring to, but all of those good reviews can't possibly be a fake. One site that I heard of is Coastal.com. Supposedly, they send you a free pair of glasses if you pay like $20 for shipping. An online friend of mine got glasses, a case for them, a glasses cleaning cloth and cleaning spray for a little over $20, so I'm pretty sure they are legit, although I don't know if they still have the same deal going on. Good luck with your purchase. Saving money on pricey glasses is always a good thing.

10. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    've used Zenni before for both myself and for my daughter. I love the fact that their prices are so much more reasonable than you get at local optician's offices.

However, the thing is that you have to wait a while to get them so if you don't already have a pair of glasses, that can be a hassle.

11. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't have thought to buy glasses on line and to be honest I am a bit sceptical. But that is great value for money and I am glad you are happy with your purchase. I prefer to go to the opticians have my eyes tested and get the relevant prescription. Also I find Specsavers to be quite reasonable in price anyway so have no need to opt for an online service. Plus you are unable to have them fitted by an optician if you buy them online and if you do have a problem you have to send them back and wait for them to receive them and all that malarkey.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    So how does this work then? As in, most times, doctors don't write the prescription on a piece of paper any more, so how do I get my actual prescription? And even if I know what it is that I need, how does the online store fill it? Do they need the doctor signature or just the prescription number?