Online Recipes Or Cookbooks?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Nov 14, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With so many free online recipes available are cookbooks worth it? Most people buy books from celebrity chefs because they look good on the bookcase or as coffee table books, but are people buying them less? I actually prefer to look online for a recipe and then to compare them for the easiest one.

It's cheaper and quicker, and many sites have a Scrapbook feature so you can keep all the recipes together.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to purchase cookbooks before the internet really blew up, and my mother already had a handful of thick ones that she used to use. But with the internet and the ability to literally find anything on the internet, I don't see any need or use for cookbooks anymore. You can find anything online as long as you have the internet connection and ingredients lol.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy them at all anymore unless I want to support the new author. I buy recipe books from those trying to get started and make a living sharing their ideas and love of healthful eating etc. We need more of that in a world that's literally dying because of their need of certain textures and flavours lol. So strange to me now.. I'd rather die a more honourable or romantic death lol, not because of my "need" for creamy or fried haha.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I really like cookbooks. I like reading them and flipping through the pages and looking at recipes. I have a good collection of recipes books that people have given me over the past while. That being said I now love the convenience of looking for recipes online. I find I can search recipes so quickly and easily when I search online. It's easy to compare recipes and ingredients while looking online. Once I find a recipe I like I either print it out or I have my ipad in the kitchen to follow the recipe. I like that it is a clutterless way of using new recipes. I am thinking of getting rid of the cookbooks I don't use to make more space in my kitchen.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do have cookbooks, and I still browse them in shops, but then I think I can find the recipe online anyhow and I don't buy it. I may buy them as gifts for people that need encouragement with cooking, but for myself I haven't bought a cookbook for a long time. A lot stems form the fact, that there are only a handful of recipes I would make. I would buy one if it was a charity cookbook, other than that, I'm not sure what other reasons there are.

6. lookatalthea

lookataltheaMember

Threads:
    I realized that I never use cookbooks. I was given a cookbook as a gift a few years ago, and I think I only opened it once! It's disappointing because cookbooks sometimes have really unique recipes, as does the one I have. I have thought about using it, but having the availability to search the internet for a recipe is so much easier. It's kind of similar to phonebooks, people still have them but I don't know anyone who uses one.

7. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I use both cookbooks and recipes I have found online. I have a collection of family recipes in a bound recipe book which has sentimental value, as well as as a couple of cookbooks with tried and true recipes for the basics, such as the Betty Crocker Cookbook as well as the Fix it and Forget It Slow Cooker cookbook. Online, I collect new recipes on Pinterest for just about everything: desserts, slow cooker recipes, appetizers, baked goods, main entrees and side dishes. I also enjoy checking out new cookbooks from the local library to find new recipes to try. Why buy cookbooks when you can find what you are looking for for free online or at the library?

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I never liked cookbooks, to be honest, aside from the nice pictures of food they had in there. I find that the most helpful way for me to figure out how to cook certain dishes was to watch cooking shows instead, so I usually just watched them on tv back when there wasn't internet and now I just watch the videos on youtube. The biggest problem I have with this is that most of the time shows are from a different country so I'll have a bit of a hard time hunting for the ingredients but for the most part I can still find them here at least.

9. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like online recipes so that I can quickly pull them up when I only have a few things in the pantry. It is hard to have everything on hand when you are flipping through a cookbook. I do love a great cookbook though. They are nice to have in my library.

10. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I really enjoy having cook books in the house. Not only for decoration but I feel like they are easier to read and follow the recipes then following a recipe online. I also like having a hard copy so I can quickly pull it out for reference if I want to make the recipe again.

I also think that having a physically recipe book also makes a great coffee table book. I don’t buy many cook books but I do have a few classic ones.

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I can't remember the last time I bought a cookbook, and to tell you the truth I don't think that I will be buying one for a long time. You can get such amazing recipes from the internet that I don't really think the cost of buying a book is at all worth it, so it would be a complete waste of money. I do like using recipes, but I don't think I would ever want to buy a book.

12. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    yeah, I make almost all of my recipes now from online recipes. I like to look at my old cookbooks though, they often have neat pictures in them. I have one cookbook that is super old fashioned...I am not too sure you could find the recipes online. But yes, it is fun to look online and get recipes...and it is really nice you can read reviews from other users, and ways they adapted the recipes ot make it better.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think there are some people who still buy cookbooks because they don't have options. Maybe for some reason they can't get online while some simply have to get a cookbook because they don't trust anything they see on the net.

However for someone who is regularly on the net I think buying cookbooks would be a waste of money because you can find virtually any recipe on the net and it won't cost you a penny.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Well you got to remember that all do not own computers or have smartphones. I borrow netbooks and internet computers from the library. Time is not a luxury, so borrowing a cookbook is more feasible for us. We need cookbooks to explore new things that we don't have time to do on timed computers. When I get to borrow a netbook that's about every 2 - 3 months between I do look up recipes.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a few cookbooks that I've collected or been gifted over the years, but no, I never buy any now. Like you said, there are too many free options.

I was just having this discussion on an earnings site where people were talking about cooking shows and cookbooks. I just don't think that creating a cookbook to sell would be as lucrative these days with all the (free) competition out there now. I know I don't spend money on them, so I guess I figure that not too many other people will either. Some might, especially as gifts, but I don't see the sales going through the roof or anything.

I love getting free recipes online. So many great sites. You can find anything and everything.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The idea of cookbooks is so adorable, my mom has several and I think it's so nice to have your own cookbooks, specially if you have notebooks with your own handwritting on them and your own special recipes. However nowadays it's way easier and more practical to just look everything up online!

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also won't buy cookbooks anymore if I can find it online because of the convenience and to be able to save money as well. My mom also had a bunch of assorted cookbooks of varied recipes, from viands to baking, and they are just gathering dust in the shelves. One day I might just check them out.

18. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    My cooking story is very funny when it comes to recipes and cookbooks.

I used to collect enthusiastically tons of recipes from newspapers and magazines that I collected in a scrapbook. Later I began to buy cookbooks insanely because cooking is my passion.

Overtime you found me writing down those recipes into cooking-related software that I found to be the best way to keep my recipe collection. Finally, I came online one fine day and began to discover how great is to having countless recipes on the web.

However, if you ask me today what my choice is, recipes or cookbooks, I would say none of them.

Time just taught me what most chefs know; recipes are kind of magic in which you put a little of this, a lot of that other, and something else into a playful mix that makes a great dish.

I may sometime look for an online recipe, but mainly as reference because I don't longer stick to the instructions, and I don't longer have my old cookbooks/recipes either, but I feel tempted to write a book about the magic behind cooking without cookbooks, recipes, or celebrity chefs' advice ;)

19. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to collect scads of recipes, with the intention of trying each and every one of them, then life got in the way. Years later, I am going through my belongings these days, in an attempt to downsize. I threw out a bunch of hand written recipes the other day, because I know I'll never use them, and I doubt anyone else could even read my writing, so they're basically of no use. I do love cookbooks, and have no intention of getting rid of all of the ones I have, but I am going through the whittling down the ones I want to keep. I bought one earlier this year, and it's an antique cookbook, so that attracted me, but I am going to be very discerning in the future about which ones I buy, mainly because I do tend to obtain many of the recipes I use these days online.

20. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy those cookbooks as well before I realized that they are taking a lot of spaces and it is annoying to browse through them if I want to find a specific recipe. Finding recipes online is the better way for me because not only it is free and simple, but also because I can find what I want to find in a relatively short amount of time. These days, the qualities of those online recipes also manage to keep up with the qualities of cookbooks so I think its a better deal for me.