Online Video Games

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Zyni • Sep 27, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to PC games online, do you prefer to "buy the box," or do you usually just purchase a digital copy? I remember waiting for the release of World of Warcraft expansions back in the day, hoping the store wouldn't run out of copies. Now you can just get a simple download and be ready to go on launch. Some gaming companies offer extras when you buy the box, or offer a separate collector's edition. Is it worth paying extra for an in game prize or other cool stuff? Do you just like having the physical package for sentimental reasons? I don't really do much collecting, and since time is money, I usually just grab a digital copy and jump in when ready.

2. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty much exclusively buy digital copies of the games now. There's just no reason not to as it's just a waste of time going to the store. Especially if you're switching computers all the time, it's nice not to have to bring the disks and install it everywhere.

I was never one to be interested in the collector items either. I mean, they are kind of cool items, but not really worth the extra price and it's not something I'd really appreciate all that much past the time I made the purchase.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    It depends really. Some physical copies are more cheaper. I once bought the whole Hitman collection for $20 and that includes all the games. But for the most part I tend to stick with digital purchase. They're far more cheaper especially when they're on sale on Steam. You can get games for as low as $2.

4. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    I prefer to purchase a digital copy because usually digital copies can be found heavily discounted through sales, including through Origin sales as well as Steam Sales (most notably the Summer Steam Sale). I don't really need to have a physical copy as you can lose track of it, but digital copies are always accessible. The only downside is that you can't lend your friends the digital games but I guess it's worth it.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I go for digital as well, especially if it's cheaper. I'm not very sentimental about my purchases and nor do I really try and collect them, so I just get whatever is more convenient or cheap at the time. Maybe someday I might want to start a collection and regret these days when I could have started early, but I don't think I'll regret it that much anyway so I just choose digital which is a lot easier to store and organize and doesn't cause clutter.

6. Nevi

NeviNew Member

Threads:
    I would always prefer digital purchase, it's more convenient than going to game store. I do reformatting of computer every year If I'm going for a physical copy, It will be a tedious process to install using the game disc and more hassle versus the digital copy.

7. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    For the most part I do the digital purchase. Exceptions would be if there were a cool in game item I really wanted, or if it were cheaper than the digital one. I'm trying to reduce the amount of stuff I have and to me it is incredibly convenient to have the digital version and not have a ton of software lying around. Also with the digital version I don't have to drive somewhere or wait for it to come in the mail. Instant gratification - who doesn't like that???
    !

8. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be a major advocate of buying the box, but since most game companies now allow you to keep your entire game library online for re-download at any time, it's definitely all about digital for me. Steam and it's like have really changed the game, and even companies like Blizzard that use to make you keep the boxes if you want to reinstall will now allow you to download at will.

9. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I get most of my games from steam so I just buy the downloadable version. The last game I bough the box for was a star craft game . I wanted to get it for my husband for Christmas. I thought it would be better to wrap a box up and put it under the tree then to be like look on the computer I got you a Christmas gift. So if I need a gift I might buy the box otherwise its downloads for me.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a PC gamer, so I don't really know how it works, but I think I'd buy the disk. I'd feel insecure about having only a digital copy. What if it gets corrupted? What if it gets deleted somehow. I'd have to buy it again and waste more money. Having a digital game copy seems more risky.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Digital. I don't even own an optical drive anymore, so there is no reason for me to buy a boxed copy. Not to mention I really don't have a place to put the box, and the disc is gonna get lost eventually anyway. With digital, I just have to double click, wait a few minutes, and I'm playing..

But yes, it will be interesting to see what happens when the inevitable shutting down of PSN/Steam/Desura happens.