Opening A New Account

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by Rosyrain • Aug 23, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I was thinking of opening a new checking or savings account that will be reserved for just spending money. This way I can keep the bill and spending money accounts separate. Has anyone tried this before? Did it work?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It can work, as long as you don't have cards or checks. I have savings and a checking account and I am only allowed to transfer three times a month out of savings, so that maybe an idea. At the end it's about control, but as you have a family to look after you may need to dip into funds so it's different for those with no one else to consider.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've done this in the past, and it worked well for me. Actually, back in the days before internet banking, I kept a savings account back in my hometown, and I would mail them checks periodically. I wouldn't have access to the money, except the few times a year that I was up there, although I could have closed the account by mail if I'd chosen to. I liked that I had limited access to it, and that worked for me that the time.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't done this but I am thinking of opening an online savings account, since many times you get cash for opening the account. I don't use my credit union bank account right now either, so it would be good for me to have a back up savings account that I can earn interest on. It is helpful in terms of being able to easily track money deposited as well. I have no problem with online banking or savings.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I was actually thinking of opening an account in my home town and not having a card associated with it. I go home at least once a month and could make deposits when I am up there. My luck, I would be too lazy to go to the bank when I was in town.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Open a savings account and automate your savings.

Each time you get a paycheck send automatically send a percentage of your earnings to your savings account then use the money that's left to pay your bills and buy anything you need.

I do believe that having a savings account will help you save a lot more than you currently do. You'll need to resist the temptation to withdraw money from your savings account though.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, this is definitely a good idea and it does work if you have the discipline. .....and/or if you have no need to keep dipping into your savings account too often. I did this with great success when I was saving to move countries. It was easy enough because I drew a budget and stuck rigidly to it for about 5 years. I was so focused on making the move that I didn't struggle to make it work at all :) I'll be doing the same once I'm fully settled and I feel that my financial situation has stabilised enough.

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I think I will set up a savings account that is not linked to my savings at all. No at card or anything so that if I really did need to pull money out of savings, I would have to go to the bank to do it...we all know how much of a pain that is these days.