Opening Week - is it worth it to go?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Esperahol • Jun 12, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I almost never go to see a picture the week it comes out or even the first two weeks it's out. I'd rather catch it at the 1.50 movies, hit a Redbox, or catch a bootleg (not that I support such dastardly events). That said do you feel it worthwhile?

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I never go to the opening night of a movie, because it's so crowded and it's difficult to watch the movie. I would rather wait until it's on Blu-Ray with a clearer picture. That's one thing I don't like about the movies is the picture quality is poor. They need to get HD screens or projectors because it looks so old.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We have pretty much given up on going to a theater to see movies. It is just way too much money to go. We wait for them to be released on DVD and just rent the ones that we want to see.

4. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    Thankfully I live with a computer nerd so I usualy have seen most movies before they ever open in America. Its funny because he downloaded a movie one day and we watched it. Later that evening we saw an add for the movie and is what coming out in 2 weeks. lol I havn't been to a theater in years.

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go to the movies, but my husband does, and he usually prefers to go sometime after the movie has been out for a week or so, because then it will be less crowded.

6. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    No, no, no and no. I do not believe it is worth it to catch it opening week, especially considering the amount of people who go to the cinema. You have to sit next to these people while they text, chew their gum, drink their soda and constantly fidget.

Although I haven't been to a picture since December and I'll prefer to go on a Tuesday, I will catch "The Dark Knight Rises" on the first Tuesday it opens and I will also catch "Prometheus in a couple of weeks on a Tuesday. Looking forward to it!

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    So andrew320 exactly why do you only go on Tuesdays? Is it proven to be less crowded or something? Maybe you get a deal on tickects?

8. Ja'cobeC

Ja'cobeCMember

Threads:
    I rather go to the opening show because it really fun. I love going to the movies, when I use to work there I went yesterday. I watch all the movies lol, I'm a movie person.

9. chelsknits

chelsknitsNew Member

Threads:
    I've only gone to a movie during opening week once or twice in my life and in my opinion, it takes out most of the fun of seeing the movie! You have to deal with way too many people. If I do go to the movies I prefer to go during times when I think there will be less people (like around noon or in the evening during the week) because I feel like I'm able to enjoy it more. I don't like paying to see a movie and then having to deal with people using their phones or talking. Overall, I prefer to wait and get the movie some other way so I can watch it at home. It is nice to go to the movies every once in a while though, just as a treat.

10. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    If it's a movie I've been wanting to see, or a movie that EVERYONE is seeing I try to go early on. I don't want other people to talk about it and ruin it for me. A movie that I think I might want to see but I'm not super excited about is one I'll wait for the cheaper theater for.

11. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I typically don't like going to theaters on opening night/week because there's so many people who also want to see the same movie as you. I remember some of my friends had to wait over 2 hours in line just to watch Avengers. Not worth it in my opinion! I'd much rather wait for it to come out on DVD/Blu-Ray so I can obtain it in less than conventional means. Though I'm by no means movie savvy enough to find a movie and watch it even before it's in theaters. I remember seeing snapshots and clips of Harry Potter 7: Part 2 before it was even out in America! And not poor camera shots either! I'm talking DVD quality rips of the movie.

12. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    There is no point in waiting two hours for anything besides KISS in Concert. Which is why I generally don't bother ever. I just don't care enough to do it.

13. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    The only time I go see a movie on opening week is if it is part of a franchise of a movie that I love. For example The Avengers was one that I had to see. Others from the past that I had to see were the Harry Potter movies and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I also love the Scream series and always have to see it at the theatre. All other movies, I can wait to rent them.

14. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I have only watched a few movies in opening week...and I enjoy it, there is a buzz around that I enjoy. There are often giveaways and all kinds of fun promotions and I thoroughly love it. But it is only something I do seldom, not often. So, yes, for me, it is very much worth it as it is a good experience. But I have many friends who rather wait it out.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not that much into movies so going on opening night is not a choice for me. The cost of movies is so high I only go to the specials on Tuesday, the cost is $5 all day.

16. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    No, I do not think it's worth it because it's to crowded and people are stepping all over you and in the way and you jsut can't relax. I always perfer to go when it has been out for awhile so I can relax and enjoy the movie. I like to take in the complete movie without being bothered by a crowd of people. Give me some breathing space or I'll wait until it comes out on DVD.

17. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    No, I never go when a movie first comes out, no matter how much I want to see it. It's way too crowded that it's a hassle and not as enjoyable. I cannot wait for DVDs though. I rarely rent a movie. Really someone else has to rent it and I will watch it. I just forget about the movie later on. So I will go to the theater a few weeks after the movie I want to see is out.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watch movies on cable or streaming online. If I like a movie enough to rewatch it, I buy the DVD. I'm very picky about which movies and shows I buy on DVD, because it has to be something I love and will repeat watch, in order to get my money's worth.
    I don't go to the movies anymore. I have goals that I'm saving up for, so $10 a ticket isn't worth it.

19. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    It just depends on how anxious I've been to see the movie. I've been to every Twilight movie on opening day and will go on opening day for the last one this November. Other than those, I went to opening day with the first Spiderman movie. What a nightmare that was! I took my two young daughters and my young nephew by myself and we had to wait in the hot sun for over an hour before they let us in. Talk about cranky kids!

20. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    For movies like Silent Hill or The Hobbit, I would think about it. The only theater I know here has dubbed movies...not a fan of those. It's way too crowded on Opening Day to bother with anything else.