Opinions on Aldi

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by TNSabrina • Sep 4, 2012.

1. TNSabrina

TNSabrinaMember

Threads:
    We just got an Aldi in my area, and everyone is super excited about it. People were saying that a person could save tons by shopping at Aldi, so I want to see what all the fuss is about. I have never visited an Aldi before, so I was wondering if it is true. This Aldi was built in what we consider an affluent area, so it is a good drive for me, so I’m wondering if the 20 minute drive is worth it. Anyway, I decided before wasting my gas that I should compare the online store ads, and I must say that I was pleased with some of their vegetable prices in the ads. However, other items seemed about the same.

I wanted to get some opinions on Aldi. Do you save a lot shopping at Aldi?

2. Brendan

BrendanMember

Threads:
    We had an Aldi's put in a few years ago about 15 minutes from our house. It is most definitely worth the drive. We have found that the vegetable and fruit prices are unbeatable. They are of good quality, also. I would recommend not getting their poptarts...they are not so great, in my opinion.

3. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    I love this question and so glad you asked it. I will tell you Aldis' is amazing! I love it there. I do most of my shopping for weekly food there. I did an experiment one week. I went and totally shopped at Wal-mart Super Center. I spent around $88 dollars. I went the very next week for the very same things and spent $56 dollars! The savings can be awesome. Here is why the price ends up being so different. You do not have brand choices. Its all mostly Aldis brands. Secondly they have random sales that do NOT get advertised in the flyer! That day I went to shop they had fresh chicken breast with $2 dollars off in store coupons each! They had all sandwich bread that day marked down to $.25 cents and it was fresh bread! I got 2 extra that day & froze it. That day they also had salad mix only .45 cents a bag!!! They do not let you use out side coupons but the over all difference in price totally makes up for it. I used to coupon heavy to try and save that much. Now I do not have to! It saves me so much time now. Now I will say I do occasionally coupon and I use this sites coupon shop for the BEST coupons

But I only use coupons when there is something I need Aldis does not sale and I need it. Give Aldis a try its worth the drive. For a year the eggs ( are hormone free!) the price was only -.49 -. 69 cents a dozen! There milk prices are great and much lower than Wal-mart. There whole butter is lower price. Yogurt lower price. So much in the store is lower priced even the can veggies are 10 cents cheaper right now a can than Wal-marts great value brand! The list of cheaper prices goes on & on. I hope you enjoy it. Try it a few times so you can catch the unadvertised random sales too! One of my favs was the week I went and they had baby carrots buy one get one free and they only cost .69!
    To wrap this up. Aldis Rocks!

4. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    My understanding is that you will save tons of money mostly on produce. I haven't been, but we have a fairly new one in my area, too, and several friends and family members enjoy it. They do not have any brand name items, and I'm picky about what I eat, so I'm not sure if I'll like it, but I can't wait to try.

5. TNSabrina

TNSabrinaMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the comments! I took my first trip today. I went to get a buggy, and I noticed they were locked together. I had to ask someone if there was a trick to get the buggy unlocked. The guy told me I had to stick a quarter in it, and then I get it back when I bring the buggy back. I was slightly embarrassed, especially after pulling and investigating the lock chains…LoL

So, I go on in, and I noticed that they had milk for around $2.50 per gallon, which is over a dollar cheaper than Wal-Mart and Food City in my area. I was not impressed with the meat prices, but I did find a good deal on a big bone-in ham, which I bought. The prices on the apples were $2-$3 cheaper. As someone said above, the produce is way cheaper than other stores. Overall, some prices were about the same, but the prices that were cheaper, were way cheaper than other stores. I’ll go back.

Oh yeah, I knew you had to bag your own groceries, but I didn’t know you needed to bring your own bags. I spent a little over a dollar on a big plastic bag and a few brown bags. I saved them to take with me next time. So, if you have never been there, remember to grab some bags before you go.

Thanks all!

6. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I love Aldi. Everything tastes just like the name brand but it is seriously half the price. I have noticed the produce is a little hit or miss but some stuff like carrots and lettuce are pretty much on point. The produce is really a steal and everything in the freezer section is nice. My biggest gripe is having 8 cash registers but only 1 is open at a time.

7. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    My grandparents shop at Aldi a lot, but they look at the sales ads before going and compare it to other grocery stores. They basically divide their shopping list up and they go to Aldi for the things that will cost less and then they head to the other grocery store for the other items that are priced lower. I've heard that Aldi is able to sale their products cheaper because most of them are imports and what's not brought in from outside countries is mostly from locally owned businesses. It seems to me like it's a good deal when what you want is on sale. But the same can be said of other stores. It really just comes down to shopping ahead in the weekly ads.

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    One thing that makes a big difference to Aldi and LIDL prices is that they're German companies, and their food profits are regulated by law. That's why they can sell quality stuff for so much cheaper than other stores. I love both Aldi and LIDL, and always go there first, then top up from the other supermarkets. Another knock on effect is that if there is another major supermarket near Aldi or LIDL, their prices are likely to be lower than others in the chain, as they compete for custom.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are ALDI's in South Florida, but they're kind of far away so I hope they build a closer location soon. I read the sales circular online and it looks like a pretty good store. Plus, I kind of like the fact that they're a foreign store ,like IKEA. I like international stores.

10. HughIvar

HughIvarBanned

Threads:
    Do you shop at 1800PetMeds or PetFoodDirect? (Or do you have another online pet supply store??)

---------------------------
    Rock Legend For Movie DVDs ---

,No More Hesitation

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Aldi's, the prices are good on most items. There may not be a selection like the big stores but on the basics the prices are good. I usually forget the quarter for the cart so I use a box to carry my few items in. I don't do the large food shopping in our house.

12. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    I liked Aldi a lot when they were present in m town. The prices were waaay under the competition, but I think their strategy was based on creating high rollings of stocks. Unfortunately, although it was cheaper, the location (at the exit of the town) , and the lack of advertising didn't brought a lot of people in, so it closed :(

13. anniep1978

anniep1978New Member

Threads:
    I shop at Aldis occasionaly but I`ve found that not everything is cheaper there. Some things that we`ve purchased there for a great deal are produce, cereal and crackers.