Opinions on GMOs?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by ami560 • Jun 2, 2014.

1. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    I just acquired some Monsanto seeds that are said to be a lot hardier than heirloom or organic species. I was just wondering what other peoples' experiences were with GMO seeds in general and how produce from them compares to non-GMOs.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From what I've heard GMO plants are more resistant to diseases and so on and so on. I've seen some GMO tomatoes which mature fast and produce gigantic tomatoes so if you that's your concern then have no doubts about GMOs outperforming their organic cousins. But because of my principles and general distrust [as far as my health is concerned] for anything that has been genetically modified I don't eat GMO foodstuff.

Go ahead, plant the seeds. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to growing my own food, I see no need for GMOs as I get enough from the regular plans anyhow. Years of selective breeding have produced plants with good healthy crops and haven't needed extra perks from modifying the DNA. I can see the need for producers to use these seeds as they need to maximize production and minimize loss due to disease and pests. For some foods the choices are pesticide or GMO, organic is not an option as the food would never last long enough to make it to market.

I have not fallen prey to the anti-GMO mis information campaign. There is a lack of information and the way GMOs have been rolled out is questionable but there isn't a lot of evidence to suggest that they are bad for us. There is just a lot of unknown at this point. We could be creating frankenfoods but we may also be doing exactly as intended and speeding up the natural process in plant evolution - something which would happen naturally. We just don't know.

4. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    I agree completely about all the misinformation regarding GMOs. I was more concerned with whether people had seen any differences in between GMO and non-GMO species. In my garden especially, pests can be a big problem, and because of this many of my plants don't start producing veggies until later then expected.

5. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    You may want to read this article from Harvard. I don't believe Harvard has ever been accused of engaging in mis-information campaign techniques. However, Monsanto definitely does have a history of BS. There are numerous articles and studies published by Universities and other research facilities warning about the hazards of GMOs on health and biodiversity in general.

6. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't read Harvard's take on it, but

... the side against GMOs seem like a bunch of scaredy conjecturers (it could bring-about the Super-Bugs, it could spread an evil plague, it could drive all the natural-food farmers to poverty :eek: ), while the side for GMOs seems more-practical (more available food brings less hunger, and--yes--there is money to be made).

There are all different types of GMOs. The infamous Monsanto-GMOs are given a resistance to RoundUp (a pesticide Monsanto makes). Some look at that as some profiteering scheme, but I haven't seen anything wrong with the pesticide-resistance.

Someone needs to analyze the GMO-foods and make sure they're still 'of nutritional value' (to abate the fears of all these people who are afraid to put 'unknown' compounds in their bodies ... although they never 'knew' the compounds they put in their bodies before!) & this rumor that they might 'patent' GMOs---surely that's ... well, it IS unethical to copyright a natural occurence; so when you sell the seeds, you lose all right to the plant (and to whatever pollenation insects take from one farm to another)---yeah?

And the mutation ... that's gonna happen whether we want it to or not! Of course, it's better just to keep the pests OUT of the field & not have to use pesticide at all; but then how WILL things get pollenated?

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a problem with GMO seeds and food. My problem is that there hasn't been enough testing. Pharmaceuticals and any genetic engineered drugs have to undergo years of testing under very control circumstances. There has been very little testing of GMO products. My concern isn't necessarily about the nutritional value of the GMO food, it's how it will react and interfere with the body's function.

Proponents said that there is very little scientific evidence that GMOs are dangerous. That is true since there has been very little testing on GMOs period. It seems to be that the testing is being done now, on the public. Any evidence of harm caused by GMOs is being marginalized. Corporations have taken over many big name universities. Schools are starved for cash and just live corporations are putting their names on sporting arenas, they are also putting their mark on many renowned universities.

So, I try not to participate. I go out of my way to avoid eating any GMO food. The problem is that GMO products are so well integrated into the American food system that it's very difficult to protect myself.