Ordering Meat Online

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Aurelia • Apr 18, 2015.

1. Aurelia

AureliaNew Member

Threads:
    I've been reading a lot lately about eating healthy and paying attention to the kinds of food that I put into my body. I already avoid most processed foods, and I'll usually buy organic produce but I always run into trouble with purchasing animal products. Organic meat, eggs and dairy are so expensive!

I know that buying pasture raised, grass fed and organic animal products is just better for everyone. It means happier animals, it's better for the environment and I don't have to worry about the effects that all of the hormones and antibiotics that go into factory farmed animal products will have on my body. A lot of people who want to eat healthier have started purchasing their meat online from websites like

where you can purchase organic meat in bulk so it is much cheaper than buying it in the store.

Has anyone here tried this? What were your experiences?

2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I've ordered meat online. Well, to be more realistic, I've gotten meat online. Usually as a gift. It was decent. It was frozen. I wasn't so impressed that I invested my own money in the process but I appreciate the sentiment. I like to find a farm I can get to without going through a ton of changes. If I can make a relationship with a farmer at a market I have no issue going directly there to see how things truly are being dealt with.

3. Aurelia

AureliaNew Member

Threads:
    This is probably the best option if you really want to be sure that you're getting organic, grass fed meat from happy animals. I've gone to the farmers market in my city and gotten to know some of the farmers where I get my fruits and veggies, so that way I can know if they're really organic. I guess anyone can make a website and make claims that what they're selling is worth the high price that this meat sells for.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I never purchase meat online actually. I usually buy it from a butcher, but I'm not a massive meat eater anyway. I'll generally prefer to buy the highest quality organic products, but corned beef is something I'm not too fussy over.

5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I wasn't very much aware that you can now easily purchase meat online. Wow! :eek:

Anyway, obviously, I haven't tried doing it yet and I don't think that's available here in my country. But yeah, organic meat sounds more ideal than buying processed (meat) food in groceries.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I lived in the UK, I'd tell my husband that I didn't like the taste of the local beef, and he couldn't understand what I meant. There's a distinct difference between Botswana and UK beef, you'd have to taste it to know exactly what I mean. Luckily, we were able to find a few reputable South African online stores from which we could order meat. It was vacuum sealed and the closest thing to Botswana meat I could find in the UK. My husband finally got my point. The only problem? It was very pricey, so we only bought it as a treat every so often.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you looked into companies such as Zaycon Foods? They don't ship the meat to you, but instead, schedule pick up dates where you can pick up your orders from one of their trucks at a local location. They bypass all the middlemen and do business directly with the farmers raising the chickens or cattle, then you order in advance in bulk, and that way the farmer knows how much meat they need to produce. When it's ready, they schedule dates and locations in your area where you and other locals can pick up your orders.

I haven't tried them personally, but the cooking blog "One Hundred Dollars A Month" has been raving about them for some time now.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to buy fresh meat at the grocery or deli stores than order online. I can buy clothes and gadgets online but when it comes to fresh produces and meat, it's better to confirm their freshness with your eyes, nose and hands. Even if online shops follow strict ethics and have a policy against deceiving customers for profit, I feel more relieved when I personally buy the meat I'd be cooking.

9. MackDesuza

MackDesuzaNew Member

Threads:
    I got some really awesome cuts of meat, the beef were ideal and consistent no disagreeing over who gets the larger one :) I did get some sausages which i was not really interested in but that's individual choice i think.

I would suggest them, part observe the delivery bins are excellent little eskies and are well value the $9.95 suits exactly a 6pack :)

"I mostly usually buy the various meats from woolies though personally"
    Don't take this individually but Ive resided right around Sydney and woolies/coles various meats is a laugh, yes i buy it every now and then but seriously evaluating them, you just have to look where the various meats is arriving from and for me that's the offer, I know when I buy I'm assisting actual farm owners compared with coles/woolies who are purpose on operating them into the floor while trying to enhance business.

10. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's always a smarter idea to purchase organic meats from a local farmer or butcher shop. There are plenty of ways to save money on these purchases, and you won't have to spend a fortune for organic options. I've seen organic beef prices similar to regular beef prices during sales and promotions from certain suppliers, so that's always nice to come across.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Slapping an "organic" label on farm products is quite easy. So while "wild" claims might be made, I wouldn't believe all that I read online. While even buying local may not guarantee that what you are getting is organic, at least [you can ascertain that] the animals aren't pumped with too many chemicals.

12. Matthew Malka

Matthew MalkaNew Member

Threads:
    Ive ordered from seamless.com but the only reason i ordered was because if the price is so low you cant say no to, then you should take it. they have promotions usually where the first ten or 12 bucks of an order is free so im basically eating at all the local boutiques here and paying only the taxes on them.

13. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I'm learning from my green living group at school how much goes into turning animals into meals. The numbers are sad but at the same time, there are no farms where I live. The only alternates in my area are Whole Paycheck, Sprouts and Trader Joes, the latter being the least expensive. The farmers market prices are expensive.