Organic, animal-testing free and natural beauty products

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by lizzief79 • Oct 7, 2014.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    My daughter and I were talking the other day about the different types of beauty products available on the market these days. She has been studying animal rights and animal cruelty at school. This led to us talking about beauty products, natural products and organic products. When you buy makeup and health products, do you check whether or not they have been tested on animals and whether the ingredients are organic, or do you just pick the cheapest or the one with the best-known label?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I always check if the makeup has the cruelty-free logo. Sometimes, when I am really in a tight budget, I no longer consider this.

cruelty_2D00_free_2D00_bunny.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only ever buy beauty products that are organic and free of toxic preservatives and additives. Needless to say, that I would never support any company that tests their products on animals. I buy everything that I need for my body, including herbal supplements, form iherb. I absolutely love that company and have been one of their faithful customers for many years now. They have a great selection of pure, organic, cruelty-free products, and the good thing is that they list every single ingredient of each product.

4. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    Good for your daughter. She should be proud of herself for being concerned about these issues. :) I am all for buying products that are cruelty free and products that are not tested on animals. I think it is horrific to think that people use animals for our benefit!! So we can have a certain eye shadow? I just don't see the point in all of it and I think it's mean.

Just my opinion :)

Danyel :)

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I always check to see. I don't mind paying a little extra to know that it was not tested on animals who have no say. I'm not a hardcore animal rights activist or vegan or anything, but I do feel like I can make a little difference by supporting companies who don't. Hopefully other companies will follow suit.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always check whether a product is cruelty free and free of animal by products and the EU has banned them anyhow. No company wants to admit on testing on animals, however I draw the line at organic as it is costly and never guaranteed. Products need some preservatives in them to stabilize them or they go off and cause more reactions. I find organic products not as effective and if they don't work, then I would rather not use them.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't bother. As long as there's not an issue of the products being harmful. I don't think at all of animal cruelty. I don't think that when you kill an animal for a purpose that will benefit the humankind is being cruel. What I think cruelty in the animals is hitting, or physically hurting them. People or companies who produce products out of animals take care of the animals that they feed them, breed and rear them right and properly. That's not cruelty. After all, animals are going to die. Let their death have some use and let them have the life where they would be taken care and be provided with food.

8. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    I don't do a lot of beauty products shopping, I suppose, so I don't think of this stuff that often. I suppose I should remember to choose the ones with cruelty-free labels, since I don't think it's good to restrain bunnies and put mascara on them or whatever. Though I wonder what the "cruelty-free" label really means.

"Natural" is purely a marketing term so I don't buy products based off of that label alone. I tend to buy things with simpler ingredients lists. I'm not scared of chemical terms; I generally know which are the nasty preservatives to avoid and which ingredients are alright.

"Organic", when it comes to beauty products, is another silly marketing term in my opinion. It's not comparable to buying an organic apple vs a conventional apple. These products are going on your skin, not inside your body, and they are using much, much tinier quantities of the plant than what you would eat. Say this shampoo uses organic rosemary extract and that shampoo uses regular rosemary extract. In each bottle there's probably about a drop or two of the extract. Any pesticide residue in the rosemary extract is probably not detectable at all, so it's not going to affect you in any way. It's really apparent when you see a mainstream beauty company start to market something as being organic, like "this shampoo features organic argan oil" or whatever, and then you read the ingredients list and see the organic argan oil surrounded by a paragraph of sulfates and gnarly preservatives and alcohols, making the "organic" label entirely meaningless.

9. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I buy in terms of makeup especially ( foundation) what will match my skin tone decently but I do need to become more aware of that when looking at labels. I have looked a few times at certain products and it seems to be difficult to find products that have it. But maybe I need to start buying them online so I know that they are cruelty free.