Organizing sporting events

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Gelsemium • Jun 5, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you ever organized sporting events, let's say a football tournament or a tennis tournament? We know that this can cost, because we need to pay the host club the rent for many hours of gaming grounds. One alternative to make this cheaper is to make these events in times of the year where people are usually on vacation, that way the clubs are usually empty and can charge you lower. Give it a try. ;)

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I have not single handedly organized a sporting even but I have helped in the organization of conventions held in sporting even stadiums. It is a lot of work and set up but well worth the effort. Having a large function with a group of people who have a similar passion about something can really lift your spirits. Departments for things should be set up: cleaning, administration, sound, press, emergency care, volunteer desk, and other tables depending on if certain things will be on sale. Most stadiums that you might rent have their own security and things like bins for garbage are provided. We have been to several privately organized functions like this and everything went off as planned and was very enjoyable.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've never organized any sporting event, but it does seem complicated, especially after reading Heartland's post, I had no idea you'd need that many departments, but I guess it depends on the size of the event.
    What kind of events do you do Gelsemium? I think the most fun part must be going shopping for the trophies :D

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I've helped to organize tennis tournaments, but really small budget ones. Usually we do 32 participants at 16€ each, what gives us 512€ to pay for the club, trophies and other expenses like waters, bananas and general gifts. We are there not to make money, but to have fun as you can see from the income and the expenses and this part is fully achieved, it's great entertainment for a weekend.

5. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a lot of fun, I imagine the largest part of your expenses are from renting the courts from the clubs, it can't be cheap to rent out the whole place for the day.
    Then whatever is left goes for the gifts you mentioned I guess, it's awesome when organizers do things like that and not take a profit for themselves.

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I once had to organize a charity basketball tournament for my local Rotarct club. And while it was for a good cause and fun at times, it's A LOT of work to put together. Getting sponsorships, making sure we have a facility to play in, getting teams to come and sign up for the games. It was a lot of work and it's pretty crazy how many problems can arise from what's supposed to be a fun charity event. But it's well worth it and I recommend anyone trying to do at least once.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You can actually organize a sports event and have people who will participate pay a fee to cover all the expenses. In that way, you could generate more money that you can probably use to build a foundation for your sporting event and for it to be held is fixed frequency. Also, the more the people who will participate, then the more successful the event could be.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Sometimes it's not easy to attract many people to the event 003, not even to cover the expenses with the club, trophies and other expenses, so there's nothing left really to generate more money. People are willing to pay a reasonable amount of money, but for example if they lose on round one and they pat 16€, it's expensive to them you know.