Organizing the play room - help!

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by sunshine31 • Sep 2, 2013.

1. sunshine31

sunshine31New Member

Threads:
    I am at my wit's end. I have 2 boys (and a daughter, but she's an infant so is not yet an issue) who love to play with their toys, but when it comes to cleaning up, they just throw everything into the toy box with no rhyme or reason - pieces to toys are all over the place. I'll be the first to admit that organizing is not my strong suit so I openly admit that I need help. I am in desperate need of finding a better way to organize their toys. The one big toy box is not working for us.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Their play room is really small so space is an issue. Thanks!

2. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:
    You have got to get some bins like these:

They are the best thing for organizing all the little toys. You just have to teach them how to keep the same type of toys together, and not just throw them all into one bin (as my husband does!). My girls are pretty good at putting toys into the different bins, but still once every month or two I go through them all and make sure everything is where it should be.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a bookcase to put most of the toys on. Things like lego etc would have their own basket that fit perfectly on the shelf. That way, they could just throw them in the basket with no worries of mixing it in with a bunch of other toys. The baskets on the shelf thing is also attractive, so it adds to the room instead of clutters. When it comes to clean up, the more you do it WITH them, the more they learn and the more they realize the need. I used to also make a game of it. Time them picking up all the blue items, or anything fuzzy etc. Lot's of ways to make them do it that doesn't make it feel like work to them. But stay consistent.. no matter how it's done, it must be done regardless, and eventually it will be just a part of their day.

4. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Kids have to be taught how to do things, and repetition is key. As someone said, making clean up a part of their everyday routine will help, but you have to show them how. You say organizing is not your strong suit, but you have to really try to make it your strong suit so that your children will learn by your daily example. They will only learn if you teach them. Make it a priority to do more organizing yourself and your kids will naturally catch on in due time.

I like the suggestion about the bins, I also like the suggestion about the baskets. Cleanup can be done in a flash if one is not concerned about organizing, but to organize toys at clean up is going to take more time and effort. Perhaps you can get a few small sized bins for the smaller pieces, and label each bin ie Lego's, action figures, cards... then, when it comes to clean up time, help your boys clean up and show them how to do it. They will catch on, but it takes time.

I work at a daycare, and I clean up the same toys all day long. Eventually the kids learn, "that doesn't go there, that goes over here." Some kids learn faster than others, but they all learn.

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I would oneself try to get a different colored bag for each child.
    After that separate all the toys such as the ones that they play with the least go in the big box and you have to teach them that the ones they loves and play with the most go in their bag and after they are done they have to go inside the bag.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    You could get multistorage of different colour/theme and have each child stick to that...or you could make a game of the organizing. My son liked to make a game out of it and see who was "best" at putting all the trains/planes/cars together and legos together, etc. It quelled some of the chaos.

7. danealegana

danealeganaActive Member

Threads:
    Very well said, thats what my brother has done to my niece and I see the improvement. Now she is 9 years old and I see how responsible she is.

Teaching and training your kids how to put things where they were after use is a good thing, and manners is another one.