Over the Counter Sleep Aids?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Jake • Aug 19, 2014.

1. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have recently experienced an increase in restless nights and it has taken a toll on my average day. I can not function well and I feel disoriented when I do not get any sleep at night. I know what the cause is - I am going through a little shift in my lifestyle and it is the only thing on my mind. I know that sleep aids are meant to be a temporary relief and I want to know what I can expect from their use. What should I know about sleep aids that the bottle does not tell me? Is it safe?

'

2. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    It's safe if it is a temporary thing, and don't take more than you're supposed to. Personally, I've had weird experiences with over the counter sleep aids such as really vivid dreams and nightmares, and they honestly don't help me in the long run, I've never woke up feeling well rested after using them.

3. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Melatonin is often used by nurses or people who are flying in and out of different timezones. Since it's naturally occurring it isn't too much of a concern, but you're not supposed to use it for I believe more than 3 weeks at a time -- need a bit of a break in there.
    Alternatively, some people use gravol which is actually for nausea, but tends to help people sleep as well. Not sure on prolonged use.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I love over the counter sleep aids and take them on a somewhat regular basis. I tend to take Simply Sleep. The only issue I have ever had with them is that the components of the medication can be somewhat drying but otherwise I am very pleased with them. I generally fall asleep within an hour of taking them, it is important to be winding down for the day though and not up and working, and even if I only get 4 hours of sleep feel like I had a restful night.