Over The Counter Sleep Medicine

Discussion in Product Reviews started by kana_marie • Apr 9, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I am desperately in need of sleep. I haven't had a full nights sleep in what feels likes years. I'm exhausted all the time. All I want to do is lay in bed hoping I'll doze off. Since that isn't actually an option, can anyone help me? I don't want to be so knocked out I would sleep through the alarm clock, but I really need more than 5 minutes at a time. The usual home remedies are completely ineffective. Does any have any suggestions?

2. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    While there's quite a few over the counter drugs that are supposed to help you sleep, and I'm sure a lot of them are effective, I think if it's an issue that's been affecting you over a long period of time I'd suggest a trip to your doctor might be for the best.

The trouble with over the counter products is that you tend to self medicate and maybe take more than what is recommended on the packs

3. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I think you need to see a doctor. I do have insomia attacks before and what cures me is the help and guidance of my physician. This includes drinking unsweetened milk an hour or 2 before sleeping, relaxation and yoga and taking some prescribe medicine. I am quite afraid of taking over the counter sleep medicine because I am afraid of overdose and dependence to the medicine.

4. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I really am bad about taking more run I should. I swear, I do almost everything in excess. I know the doctorncouldngive me Ambien, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about that stuff. There's bound o be other options, right? There's not much answer in spending the money to go if that is the only option.

5. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I am the same way and feel like a zombie on most day! However, I don't want to depend on medicine as it will work for the first few times, and then your body got used to it and it becomes ineffective.

I drink Sleep Time and Chamomile herbal tea in the late afternoon, and eat a handful of cherries (dried one is good too) and it seems to help unless I am really really stressed out or depressed. Best of all, I don't get addicted to medicine. Melatonin is the one I took before, and after a while, it stops working all together.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would stay away from all pharmaceuticals and take some mild relaxant such as valerian or hypericum. Also, I would practice some simple breathing exercises that will lead to a state of deeper relaxation. By concentrating on your breathing you will soon find that you can doze off in less than 10 minutes.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been on an insomnia journey for 2 months now, ever since my boyfriend traveled and I had the most terrible anxiety crisis. Ever since I've been to the doctor twice. First time he gave me some medicine (not over the counter but not one of those harsh ones either). That did not work so well so now I'm taking another one.
    But I say if you are not sleeping well most nights, go see a doctor. It's better than trying out a bunch of over the counter stuff.

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never had much success with over the counter sleep aids and I have to admit that Ambien doesn't do a lot for me either. I'ts better to try all the natural alternatives before trying the Z-drugs though - they can be habit forming.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also have trouble sleeping when I have alot of things on my mind. It is not a good thing to take alot of over the counter sleeping aids. It maybe to your benefit to see a doctor to determine why you are not sleeping.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Might I suggest an alternative to using medicine at all? That is assuming that you have not already ventured down this path. But meditation can be a very good way of getting to sleep. In fact, the sleep that I get after having meditated first is always the best and I always wake up the most well-rested afterwards. Whether it be the sounds of nature that get you to sleep, or a calm voice guiding your meditation, you can find many of them on Youtube. Just a suggestion.

11. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    OTC sleeping pills are mildly dosed. Over a period of time, your body accustoms to the pill strength and want you to take more. This would eventually lead to substance dependence and abuse. I'm sorry if I'm serving you sermons, but the approach is simply wrong! You haven't described your situation better in what you do, your profession and your work schedule and so on.

Exercise regularly, more often than not tired bones induce sleep and drink warm milk, the tryptophan in milk induces sleep. Eat a balanced diet and drink plenty of water to detox and I'm sure, you'll sleep like a baby!

12. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I have had problems with sleeping since I started working nights and I know exactly how you feel, it sucks!

I was told about an aid which is simply called Sleepaid, it is fantastic. Although it is not for long term use, it helps you get your body into a routine so you can sleep properly. It is cheap compared to some of the over the counter medications available, and costs around £3, so just under $5. I usually take one or two about an hour before I go to bed, and it works like a charm, it sends me straight to sleep, but I can feel groggy in the morning, or in my case afternoon, if I so not get enough sleep, so make sure you have at least seven hours sleep to avoid this and have a coffee when you wake up.

You could also try nightol, this also works but tends to be much more expensive for less tablets!

13. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    I would try the sleep aid pills that you can get from the dollar store. They have more natural ingredients, and less side effects.

14. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I know what you mean about working nights. When I worked mid nights a long time ago I couldn't fall asleep after work, regardless of how tired I was. The only way for me to be worth anything the next night would be to pass out drunk that morning. That isn't really an option anymore, thankfully lol. I'll have to try the sleepaid. At this point I'll try anything. I just have to know its out there.