Over The-phone Purchases?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Miaka_M • May 28, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever been called by a telemarketer who is offering a service? Now, have you ever accepted their service and given your card information over the phone? Well, don't! This could very much be a scam. If you get a call from your phone company and they're telling you that you need to pay for something, do some investigating first before you pay. For example, check your payment information online and call in yourself if you have questions. Never trust people over the phone because you just never know.

2. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I've had numerous telemarketers try to call my phone and get my credit card details, saying that I got some discount out of nowhere for some trip to a country. That is a scam guys where they try to get your card details and charge you left and right for as much as they can in total down the line. Don't ever fall for it. I've read stories about this all the time with a simple Google search. Even when credit firms call for me from unknown numbers and want my financial information, I refuse to give it to the caller over the phone and end the call. Got to be smart.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I only received calls from my Internet and landline provider. They are always asking me to join various promos. I consented once, but they did not ask for my credit card information. They just added the bill to my monthly Internet bill. :) It's true that you should always think and confirm before agreeing to different promos or services being offered to you not only over the phone but in different ways as well.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Chiofthenorns is pointing at an important key factor to keep in mind, not just good for the caller, but also for the telemarketer who makes a living from hard-earned commissions depending on your acceptance or declination.

There is a huge difference between real telemarketers and scammers. Whoever calls asking your for credit card and personal information is likely to be a scammer or a poorly trained marketer, not people you should trust in.

But when the bank, the Internet provider and other companies who already have your information are calling, they will not ask for any detail other than your name to know if they are talking to the right person.

They may ask you to confirm some of your information, but won't ask you to tell. They will read out loud what they have in screen to get you confirming it's correct, but if the information they give you is notoriously incorrect, beware, this could be a scamming trick as well.

The bottom end of this is, do not give for granted all of the telemarketers calling are scammers, some of them are legitimate agents, but caution is never too much, and whenever in doubt, make sure to confirm their identity and legitimacy of their offers.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. There was this person that really wanted to get my address over the phone by pretending to be an agent from our landline provider asking if we have already received our bill. My bro said "no" and the person was adamant on "double checking" it by asking our address. My bro said to just say out loud the record that they have on file so that he can verify it. Needless to say, the pretender wasn't able to give any details.