Package or Independent?

Discussion in Travel started by gwydion • Nov 28, 2012.

1. gwydion

gwydionNew Member

Threads:
    Which kind of traveller are you... package or independent?

Have you made a comparison of buying a package or doing everything yourself? Which one came out cheaper?

Personally, I do not like the strictures of a package and prefer to plan everything myself so I have some freedom when I get there. It's my belief that my way ends up being cheaper, but I have no concrete evidence for this, so I would like to hear from anyone whose done the comparison.

This winter I will be going to Ghana, and I'm planning my own flights, sorting an apartment to live there and the rest I will make up when I arrive. I will save hugely on food as I can just go to the markets and I will save on the winter fuel in the UK.

Christmas on the beach is very appealing!

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My way of cheap is i don't travel at all haha. But when i do travel i usually drive there so it's a little easier except for the getting tired other than that i like it.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually go the independent travel route. I do agree it can be cheaper and you aren't tied down to a strict schedule. That's the worse part for me. I hate being on a schedule.

But I will be traveling next year to Brazil with my church. It's definitely a package deal. I really like the idea of traveling with a group. We will also have a lot of "free" time to explore. It will be my first group travel experience.

4. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I plan a trip, I always do it myself. My family planned a trip around me once and it was a group bus tour. Us and a bunch of other people together for a week, all doing the same thing. With how we travel, it would've been cheaper to do it ourselves. I much prefer than, anyway, as I can do whatever I choose to do whenever.

5. vk kapoor

vk kapoorMember

Threads:
    ..just take the package and just do your own thing when you get there...even if you just use the hotel as a big wardrobe its going to make life so easy for you. And if it was me I would pick a hotel in Senegambia...There's so much on offer there and it will save you a load of hassle....Sarges, Mansea, Holiday Beach Club are all on a par.

6. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    Independent travel is much better as compared to other, s but every person has own wish that what they like independent or package. In independent you must go anywhere where you want but in package limited areas for visiting..

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer planning everything myself. Sometimes, structured packages are too strict when it comes to time that you do not really get to enjoy the sites that you are visiting. Also, some packages have hidden charges that you only find out before you leave. I really hate these charges because whenever I add them up to the sum I already paid for, the package end up more expensive.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I arrange all my own travel affairs. By doing it yourself you save quite a bit. I book flights and hotels, and then I will find my own activities. I think that package holidays do have their merits though, they give structure and will make sure you get most of the major attractions. Although you could so this alone too.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends.

I usually go the independent route. Every now and then, though, it's cheaper to go with a package bundle. Even if you don't use all of the things included, it can still end saving you money overall.

10. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used a package. I think the prices are higher for convenience but I do not mind looking up everything myself and saving money that way. Usually I won't use all of the package features anyway. If you have the time and knowledge I'd recommend researching yourself. I'm not opposed to buying an all-in deal though if the price is right.

11. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    We are more independent travelers. I like the ease of having someone else do it for you, but it is much less expensive to plan it yourself. I like the idea of being able to research things and pick between hotels, cruises etc. That's whats fun for us. We love the planning and the excitement that goes along with it. :) We only go one one big trip a years so the little things are important to us, plus who knows our kids better than we do !!

Either way... vacations are awesome!!!

Danyel :)

12. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Independent for me. I did one package holiday once and couldn't stand it. It felt like we were stuck staying in the hotel. It was an all inclusive holiday pakage. OMG! We will never do it again, it was so annoying that we couldn't do our own thing.