Packing / Mailing Tape - Which Is Best?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Diane Lane • Apr 22, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ugh, I have about 5 rolls of packing tape that keeps splitting, and I need to mail a package. I'm going to make do for now, but if anyone has found a good one, I'd love to hear about it. I'm on a budget, of course, so I'd prefer it to be inexpensive, but this is a case of quality being important, too. Which packing tape is your favorite?

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I always buy Scotch brand shipping tape; I have tried others, including Duck and store brands, but Scotch always holds up. I think the price is pretty comparable to the others. I usually ship 3-5 boxes per month and this brand has never let me down. When I've bought store brands I found the money I saved was probably wasted in shredded tape. I usually go for the heavy duty tape just because I want to make sure it holds during transport.

3. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with readwrite... Scotch brand is a good brand to go with. There are some things that I don't like to skimp on when it comes to price, like tape, laundry detergent, dish-washing liquid, things that if you skimp on them, you'll end up buying something else to compensate for the poor quality of the cheap item, and spend more money in the long run. So yeah, I would go with Scotch brand.

4. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Thanks, I'll check it out. I know I've tried several, I'll have to see if I can discern the brands from colors/sizes of whatever packaging they have, I always lose labels. I know for sure the stuff the post office sells shreds easily, so I'll never buy that again.

5. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I recently had to mail a few packages, so I went through my stash of tapes that don't work well, to find one that would suffice. I came up with ReadyPost Clear Mailing Tape, which is the one from the USPS, and now it's working well. I was even able to get the tape in one piece, past the 2 guards, so it doesn't stick to the roll. I don't know why it's suddenly working, but I'm sure happy about it, because I haven't been to the store to pick up the Scotch brand. Here's a link to the one I'm talking about. This price quote is for 2 rolls.

6. jfab

jfabNew Member

Threads:
    I don't trust any brand when it comes to this topic but Scotch. Their double sided tape has made me earned their trust these years. You can't go wrong with this brand.

7. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    Here's one more vote for Scotch! I bought a package of the cheaper tape a few years back hoping to same some money, and I had to put that stuff aside and go back to get the good stuff. The cheaper stuff I bought was always splitting and made the job longer and messy. Now, I make sure I don't run out of Scotch - it really is the best!

8. Diane Lane

Threads:
    It seems Scotch is far superior to any competitor, based on the replies. I'm going to keep and use up this Ready Post tape, now that I've got it to the point where it's behaving, but once that's gone, it will be replaced by Scotch brand.

9. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I've used both at different points. The scotch really is easier to get in one, solid piece. But most importantly, the scotch brand holds A LOT better!l I've always taped the bottom of boxes to pack things in when I moved. The chaper brand can't hack it if you have anything in the box besides paper.

10. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I compared while I was at Walmart yesterday, and ended up getting the Scotch. It really wasn't much more expensive than the other brands. I got the refill, not the one with the dispenser and cutter, because I already have that part from before, so this roll has more than the last one I bought.