Part time job for discounts

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Jessi • Jun 16, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:

I never would've considered doing something like this, but it makes sense. Especially if it's really, really parttime like suggested here with just a few times a month, then your discount may actually be a huge deal compared to the pocket change you're making here or there.

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to work part-time at my favorite department store for the employee discount. It's not just the discount, you'll find out about the sales and markdowns early.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That's a good point, too, Parker. And if you're there weekly or a few times a week instead of per month, you're going to end up having more access to the changes of product than you would if you only thought to shop there once every few months otherwise.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I worked a couple nights per week and on Sunday. I was a floater and worked wherever they needed me. So I knew about markdowns from all over the store. It was wonderful!

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a different way to look at a job. You get a few dollars for your time and discounts on the items you want to spend your money on a real benefit.

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    That's a different way to look at part time work. I wouldn't have even thought about getting discounts as a reason to work somewhere before. It would be good if you were able to only work a few days a month to supplement other part time work. I would probably consider doing this if I was not already working full time.

7. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I've never thought of it this way. This is actually really smart if you're looking for discounts on something you buy incredibly often. Man, would I love to work at Barnes and Nobles once a week for some extra cash and employee discounts. Not to mention stacking that discount with their membership card! I'd get books for everyone on Christmas! Or I could work at Best Buy or something. I'd consider doing this in the summer with all my free time at hand.

8. TabithaW

TabithaWNew Member

Threads:
    Oh wow, the discount is like money in the bank too. I will have to keep this in mind. My daughter will be old enought o get a job in a couple of years & I bet we could save big if she went to work at her favorite clothing store. Brilliant!

9. kristyleann

kristyleannMember

Threads:
    If I could get a part time job like that at Victoria's Secret (assuming they give employee discounts) then I'd have it made. :)

10. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    That is actually a really good idea. I would have to figure out though which companies actually give discounts though.

11. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    This also applies to grocery stores and restaurants! I used to get 50% everything when I worked at Pizza Hut. Grocery store employees also get a discount (maybe 20% off) everything, as well. However, I like the idea of only working maybe once a week and getting all the discounts. Imagine if you worked at a different store or restaurant every day of the week. You would get discounts on everything!

12. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Working two days a month, I would forget how to do my job.:D I guess it's pretty good for the discount, but you can't really call that a job. I can make more money online, but the discount is nice. I couldn't work at a job unless it's at least 5 days a week, or 3 days a week minimum. I guess it could work out for some people, but I don't think it will work for me.

13. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    This is actually a really interesting idea!!! Starting August 2013 all three of my children will be in school and after thinking about this I'm really considering trying this out!

14. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I worked at Dillards department store (similar to Macys but nicer in our area) during college. This was more just for a source of income at the time, but I sure did enjoy the employee discount. You'd be amazed some of the prices I found working there, like vases that were originally $160 for $22. I haven't thought about working for a discount after college. It wouldn't be bad if you only worked 2 days a month.

15. meryliz

merylizMember

Threads:
    It's a great idea, but I think a person would need a lot of discipline to make effective use of the employee discount. I've worked my share of part-time retail jobs and have certainly taken advantage of the employee discounts, but because I wanted to take advantage of my perks, I ended up buying things I did not actually need. Though I saved money from the original retail price, I still spent money when I shouldn't have.

I think that to make really good use of an employee discount, a person should only buy things they need, so it is a true savings.

But I guess if someone could afford it, they could get a part-time job at a store where their earnings are used mainly for fun items and not towards necessity, so my comment above wouldn't apply in that case.

16. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    Working simply for the discounts would not be ideal for me. It would end up costing me money, because I have a child that would be in daycare.