Paying More For Organic Beauty Products

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Theo • Nov 8, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With more products using the label organic, it pushes up the price, but often the product isn't totally organic, but uses a percentage of organic ingredients. The laws vary in each country as to what can be labelled organic, because some may state using organic ingredients, but isn't able to be classified as organic.

As much as I like the thought of using more natural products, they are not always better and are more expensive. Check the labels as some items and the percentage of organic ingredients before you buy.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    They are and much as my preference is always for natural - I could never ever justify paying over the odds for so called “ organic “ beauty products - especially as “ organic “ beauty and personal care products are even bigger impostors than so called “ organic “ foods.

In fact I'd be extremely dubious about any beauty or personal care product that claims to be certified organic - particularly as - unlike food and drink which does have some degree of regulation - where at least 90% of a product has to be certified organic in order for it to be labelled as such - no such regulations or certification exists for beauty or personal care products.

Which is why when choosing natural products - I think it always best to check the ingredients rather than rely on the label and choose those with as few ingredients as possible - as not only does that generally ensure a more natural product - but usually saves a whole lot of money too.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If everyone really wants to save some money, check out the ingredients and buy them in bulk. Make your own! There are a billion recipes online and a billion places to buy cheap ingredients. For the price of one of your fave lotions or whatever whatever, you could make a truck load yourself. There is nothing special about most products. Some of your common every day things can do exactly the same.. and you'll know exactly what you're using and where it came from.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    W
    Well maybe if the price were the same I would buy them, but I am not going to pay more for organic products. I would be much more inclined to buy products that say no animal testing or cruelty free. However, many of the organic problems say that. I don't honestly buy make up or beauty products often enough to notice the price differential.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've also noticed this, @Theo@Theo! It's just ridiculous that these companies make all these wild claims, just so they can the drive the prices up. Well, I don't fall for that sort of ploy and always make sure to read the list of ingredients on each item before I commit to a purchase. I'm not easily taken in :)

6. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I would say to do your research. Check the label and what each ingredient is. Lots of cosmetics contain carcinogens and really bad chemicals for your skin. So if the makeup you're trying to buy is cheap it might be for a certain reason. You can always make your own makeup but I don't know anything about that.

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I use Shea Moisture and while I'm not sure about the organic label, they do claim to be natural. If you know the line, there are many different products for many different types. Before they came out, I'd never heard of a co-wash or cleansing conditioner. Tried it and figured that maybe my hair is too dry and coarse for it to be beneficial but then recently I saw a celebrity who claimed to use it and their hair looked dry. They offer so many products that I wonder what's really effective because at $10-12 per container, it can get expensive.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Making your own is fine if you have time and if you can use up all the product before it goes off. It doesn't always work out to be cheaper, and also it's not always as effective. You can't make anti-aging serums for example or eye creams. Plus when you use natural ingredients, they are very unstable and can cause reactions. That's why organic products are rarely 100% natural because they wouldn't last long from being made, to the shop shelf.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me if you are an advocate of organic. I really find it amusing why a product would cost more simply because it was labelled organic. To think that being organic means no chemical so the ingredients are less that should make it cheaper. Even in the market, vegetables bearing the tag organic is more expensive and it appears that ordinary farm produce (non-organic) are the standard when it comes to prices.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Chemicals can be mass produced and cheaper. People who make their own organic products and sell them at fairs do so and it costs more money as the ingredients have to be certified organic too. Then they have to put them in glass containers because it will preserve them for longer, so that costs more.

On the shelf organic items are allowed to be labelled as such with a minimum percentage of certified organic ingredients, and the rest are preservatives to enable a longer shelf life.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do agree with paying more for organic - specially because I'm very allergic. However, I will only do so if I know the product is worth it. Only if I know it's truly organic, really high quality and from a brand I trust.
    We need to beware because nowadays organic products being a trend, mean intended companies will say their products are organic and all natural to sell more and charge more, when in truth they are no different from regular products.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use cosmetics nearly as much as I used to, but I do still use creams and conditioners. I lean toward gentle ones, and the fewer chemicals the better. I have eczema, and have tried different products over the years. I tend to use ones based on shea butter, because that doesn't irritate my skin.

I would use something labeled organic if I believed that to be true, and I thought it was a good product. Unfortunately, cost always factors into every decision I make, and so there are products I'd like to have/try that are simply out of my budget, but there are also many out there that are the same or worse than cheap ones on drugstore shelves. I think the best way to figure out what works is to read the labels, try samples when they're available, and to know what works for you.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Someone bought me herbal soap and I didn't like it. Yes it can clean as well as any of the other soaps but no better. There are the wild claims that herbal soaps were better for the skin but I found out that it is nothing more than hype. I believe that the lotions aren't any better.

This is why I won't pay more for "organic" beauty products. For those of you interested in DYI [herbal soap-making], you could take a look at this article:

14. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What does the word "herbal" really mean anyway? To me, it just means that it contains herbs. This could quite easily mean a handful of rosemary chucked into some regular shower gel. It's important not to get taken in by such labels and instead, check the ingredients list on the packaging. It could be quite surprising.

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now I remember that I had bought an organic oil for cure of warts. Doctors use the cauterizer to burn the warts on the skin. It is a painful process and expensive too. This small bottle of organic wart treatment oil is only $10 although the efficacy is not 100% because sometimes the procedure needs to be repeated. The wart is scraped lightly before applying the oil. And after a week, the wart would dry and fall off.

16. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The use of 'herbal' and 'natural' are just marketing ploys geared to attract the attention of the shopper. It doesn't mean very much if it's an extract and the rest is made up of other ingredients. The use of organic is more tightly regulated though and products are not allowed to state that they are unless they can prove their suppliers are organic and they are certified, which is why organic does cost more.

There maybe be organic products that aren't certified yet too, but they can always label that it is pending, to attract consumers.

17. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately a common misconception - for the simple reason that - unlike “ organic “ food products - which are to some degree regulated and it is a requirement - that at least 90% of the contents of all food and drink products must be certified organic in order for them to be labelled as such - no such regulations or certification exists for beauty or personal care products.

Which is why - as there are absolutely no guarantees that any beauty or personal care product bearing the “organic “ tag - will actually contain mostly organic ingredients and more often than not - they generally only contain as little as 1% organic derived ingredients - its more important to check the ingredients rather than rely on what the label says.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, as long as they don't say their product WILL do this or that, they can pretty much say and do anything. And just like with food, they can omit a lot.. nobody is regulated near enough when it comes to the products sold to the public.