PayPal, eBay split

Discussion in Misc & Others started by ExpertAdvice • Oct 5, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    The companies have been intertwined since eBay bought Paypal 12 years ago for US $1.3 billion. eBay connects buyers and sellers, and both can use PayPal to make or accept payments. Besides online payments, PayPal users can also pay for items in some physical stores. The split comes as competition in the mobile payment industry heats up. Apple Inc. announced a new digital wallet service, called Apple Pay, last month. PayPal and eBay said that the two companies will be led by the new CEOs when the deal closes in the second half of 2015.
    Ebay made profits of US$ 9.9 billion in the past year while PayPal made US$7.2 billion, however, PayPal has more users with a total of 152 million active users, while eBay has 149 million active users.
    What are your thoughts on the split guys? and will PayPal hike it's fees up after the split? lol

2. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think they are splitting up in the sense that both will still be owned by basically the same people and doing business together. I see it more as a way to make more money and protect each other. Basically they are following that saying of "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Marie is right. It's not like one company is being sold off. Ebay will still own Paypal.
    It's all about business. How can they make more money? Lure in investors and so on? It's a smart move on their part imo.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I had been reading about this and never thought it would happen. Even though it isn't an official split per se I just didn't think either company would go for it. This really has little to no impact on my life and I will continue to use Paypal to get paid and for online purchases. The only thing that I hope doesn't happen is that Paypal raises their fees AGAIN! I occasionally sell on Ebay and the fees for sellers are astronomical and I really don't feel like I get anything in return.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that this is just a marketing thing to attract more people - people who are hoping for changes! LOL. Anyway, I am still a loyal PayPal user. I can't say the same for eBay though. I bought something there, and I still haven't received it.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Us ebay sellers have been talking about the split and supposedly it's just a business decision that won't really affect the little people. Supposedly, the two companies are more attractive to stockholders when they are separate. Maybe people want to invest in Paypal but not eBay or vice versa.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are from the Philippines right? I have had 3 similar items stolen by the post office employees last 2013, and I think now they took a peak in my parcel again and liked it so they stole it. It's common knowledge that the post office employees are thieves. So if your parcel wasn't lost, it was stolen for sure.

Anyway, I think the split just allows them to make more money by partnering with other investors, it's not like Paypal and Ebay are now aren't affiliated with each other.