Paypal or Credit Card?

Discussion in Payment Methods started by Athena02 • Oct 27, 2014.

1. Athena02

Athena02Member

Threads:
    Which one do you use for your payments.

I've given it some thought before and ended up choosing Paypal as my main payment method. It just seems safer than having my Credit Card information all over the internet.

I do however use my Credit Card when Paypal isn't an option, or when I am making a big purchase (in the hundreds) since its usually easier to get a refund.

And you?

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually reach for my credit card when making payments because I only use my PayPal account as a bridge to my bank account, I don't like to leave a lot of money there because I am uncertain of how safe it is, I've heard a lot of stories.

3. stagsonline

stagsonlineNew Member

Threads:
    Considering that I have used PayPal over five years processing payments and purchasing items online, I would say I have trusted them enough to be my number one option. I personally feel that it's much safer using PayPal than my credit card. I work online so most of my payments are done through PayPal. I only use my credit card when other online payment options are not offered.

4. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have had them both for years and used both on different occasions. The risk are the same either way. Paypal is either linked to a bank account or credit card so if someone gets either information they can still get your money. I think the bigger question is what can you do to protect yourself either way? Protecting your payment systems is more important then what you use. Payment systems (Paypal, credit cards, banks) all have security systems to help protect you, but notice the key word...HELP. You as an individual have to find other means of your own to assist those systems in protecting you. S

5. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I think if I had to choose between the two, I'd stick to the credit card. Those companies have had years and years of experience in getting money back from fraudulent charges and even with the risk to my credit, when it really comes down to it, it's their money on the line, not mine. I think that's why they are so vigilant in clearing up fraud.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Paypal is much better than paying with your credit card because it's easier to reverse a transaction. I remember paying 1&1 for a domain name. Then right after when they started asking for more [unnecessary information] I got mad at them, went back to my paypal account and canceled the transaction. With credit cards you'd have to go through some lengthy processes, making phone call and so on. I hate that kind of stuff.

7. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to use Paypal online since my bank info doesn't go to the retailer. Some sites don't offer it though. In that case, I have a debit card from paypal that is linked to my account so I use that card. I don't keep that much money in my paypal account so if someone where to steal the number they wouldn't be able to spend much on the card.

8. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer using PayPal since most of my money is on there anyway. There are some stores that do not let you use paypal though which can be a pain if you do not own any cards. I wish there where more stores that would accept it. I tried to buy something on Amazon one day and I did not see a PayPal option.

9. polski691

polski691New Member

Threads:
    Paypal does seem to be the most user-friendly payment system that I have ever used. The ease at which you can transfer money around or make payments gives it a huge edge over other money transaction methods, and the fact that the money on your account could easily be spilled over into your bank account also seems like a fair indicator of how much better Paypal is. That being said, there are a fair amount of dealers who have chosen not to use Paypal, and it is only then I feel necessary to dig out my credit card.

10. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    I totally disagree with the people that say PayPal is good. PayPal, especially as a seller, can be so devastating because people can chargeback whenever they want. Usually, those people will win the chargeback claim regardless, basically scamming the seller out of their money. This is the sole reason I don use PayPal because it can be really sketchy at times. However, when I am the buyer, I will use PayPal, especially when there is a really sketchy site that asks you to enter your credit card info.

11. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer Paypal but it is hooked up to my credit card so I guess its the same thing. Only Paypal has a secured way to make sure that you are not having identity theft. Just this week I was blocked for 72 hours while they investigated whether or not it was really me. I was trying to transfer some money to a friend and it was an amount I had not previously done so it alerted Paypal and they blocked me from being able to send or receive money. I thought this was pretty impressive since it was such a simple transaction. For this reason, I always try to use Paypal but if it is not accepted, then I make sure the website I am using is secured (https and not just http) before putting any of my information on it.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've long since chucked my credit card because not only is this equipment financially distracting, it also encourages overspending. I don't want to be saddled with hidden charges and crazy annual fees. What I like about PayPal is that it's not so different from your own ATM savings account except that you don't need a card as far as online purchases are concerned.

13. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    For the most part, I use PayPal for my online transactions. Very rarely do I use my credit card when I shop online. I don't even buy things online that often. But when I do, I usually use the money on my PayPal which comes from my various online income streams.

14. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I've only used PayPal a couple of times to purchase something online, and that was years ago. Usually I use my credit card, but I think that I will look into using PayPal because just the other day I made a purchase over the phone and felt funny giving out my credit card info. I'll have to do my due diligence and research what is being said about PayPal's reliability.

I've read through a lot of the comments on this thread, and the general consensus from what I've read here is that people trust paypal. But, I'm going to look into things a bit more and then maybe start making my transactions with paypal.

15. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I've used both before, and I have not experienced any great and grave problem with using them for purposes of a payment method. Both options are pretty safe, what I want to ask about is what I have now come to know, Payza? I want some honest reviews on this site, I can tell that it is a growing site, and more online jobs pay using them, so what are your opinions on Payza? of course for those who have been using Payza long enough to tell. Thanks

16. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have Paypal and also the Paypal debit card, so I use Paypal where it is accepted, and my Paypal debit card foranywhere else. Since there is never very much money in my paypal account; even if somehow it accidentally got hacked, no one would get much from that.
    Besides, when I use the debit card; Paypal gives little rebates back into my Paypal account, and that (while not very much, admittedly) is also nice also.

17. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will always prefer using paypal to my credit card. As a matter of fact, I actually shy away from deals where there is no paypal option. I am anxious every time I have to use my credit card since I experienced an unfortunate incidence where I nearly lost $2000. It was a very lucky escape for me.

18. johots

johotsNew Member

Threads:
    Exactly, I agree!

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a credit card, but I have a debit card that is linked to my Paypal account. With that said, I'm more comfortable using my Paypal balance to pay for stuff. I will only use my debit card if Paypal isn't accepted, like in Amazon for example.