Paypal vs Credit Cards

Discussion in Payment Methods started by devilishomar • Aug 3, 2014.

1. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    Do you think Paypal is a better solution to the traditional credit card approach on buying and selling things? Has it made life easier and secure or does it not make a difference to you whether you use one or the other?

For me, Paypal has made it so much easier to buy things just because of the amount of support so many businesses have with it. I have had no security issue so far, so it's a really elegant solution to online payment processing for me.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't make a difference to me. The main difference is that when I use a credit card, I can pay it off later but with my Paypal debit card, I have to actually have money in my Paypal or bank account.

3. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    You can use your credit card through Paypal. This is my preferred payment method for online, as you have double security. In case things go wrong you are covered by Paypals buyer protection, but also if your credit card has fraud protection you can file a chargeback. For example I once payed for a handmade item and 3 months later still didn't have it. I kept giving the seller an opportunity (because i knew them) so the window of time to use the PayPal buyer protection was gone, but my credit card company still allowed me to do a chargeback. I really like to use PayPal more than using my credit card directly because that way the sellers don't get my card number and I think PayPal is more secure than some random website checkout.

4. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, I love Paypal! I have their debit card, and it's awesome to be able to access money paid to me the very same day it's paid, without having to wait for it to transfer to my bank account. Paypal plus the debit card is an amazing combination.

Then there are a few special features I particularly love...

-- Your debit card comes automatically with a savings account. It is so simple to transfer a little money into that account every time I get paid. I've been putting aside 10 percent of everything I make via Paypal, and it's adding up fast. Transferring the money back to your debit card is simple too. The only thing is you're only allowed to do that three times a month, but that's more than enough for me, the way I use the savings account. Honestly, I'm glad there's a limit -- it's keeps me from taking out money unnecessarily.

-- My Paypal debit card is also hooked to

, a site that allows you to play games for prizes based on your saving and debt paying habits. I haven't got the whole thing figured out yet, and I don't know if I'll ever win anything, but it's fun and it encourages me to save. Anything that will gamify good money habits is okay by me!

--You know those deals where you can have a week or a month free of something but you have to give them your credit card info first? I take advantage of these offers a lot more often now that I have the Paypal debit card, because they allow you to create virtual accounts for these kinds of circumstances. For example, I got a month's trial of Amazon Prime. I got a virtual card first from Paypal with its own numbers and expiration date and put that in when I signed up for the trial. Then I wrote on my calendar for a few days shy of next month, "CANCEL AMAZON PRIME." After I signed up, I closed out that virtual account. Now, if I slip up and don't cancel -- which I try not to do, to be fair -- or if I do cancel but the company tries to charge me anyway, I don't have to worry about getting charged. Those virtual cards are perfect for those kinds of deals!

Anyway, I swear I don't work for Paypal. ;) I just love their product. Now, Amazon Payments, don't get me started. Ughhhh!!!

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Paypal is obviously the better choice for selling things online. You can't really do that as easily with a credit card after all. Credit card companies tend to rank more highly than PayPal for customer service performance, too. Plus, Paypal only gives you 1% cash back if you have their debit card. I'd go with a credit card more often than I'd go with Paypal for the added cash back and the improved customer service. Really though, both options can prove useful for people today. I don't see why you wouldn't want to use both of them.

6. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I've really just started using Pay Pal heavily in the last year as opposed to my bank account directly. Also, I am trying hard to get away from personal purchases on a credit card. It is too easy to overspend. I would much prefer to have Pay Pal broker a transaction than to give any business my bank account number directly...I save that for credit card companies and mortgage only.

7. BoomSchroasted

BoomSchroastedNew Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love PayPal. It makes me feel a lot safer than just throwing my credit card info around. Also, as a freelancer, it allows me to pay people who help me with a job easily when I don't have cash. PayPal is pretty much the best thing for me since sliced bread.

However, I really like using my credit card too. I just quickly check my bank statement and take note of the charges, and check later to make sure I don't get overcharged for something.

8. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    Paypal is great, especially for receiving payment. Obviously the advantage of having a credit card is that you don't have to pay right away. But on the downside, you have to pay an interest rate, which is not cool. I prefer paypal by far. I don't buy things that I can't afford anyway, so I only use credit cards in an emergency.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have the Paypal debit card which I use when I go out to shop and I have money on it. I like to purchase items online using paypal because of the security I receive when someone does not give me the item I purchased. I sell on ebay so that is good when I get paid for something I sold it is in on my card ready for me to use it to purchase another item to resell.

10. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, Paypal has certainly made my purchases feel a lot more secure. Rather than handing out my card everywhere I go, I use my paypal to make quick purchases. My local bike shop accepts payments through paypal and many other smaller shops as well. When I order through grubhub, I generally use paypal and it makes my life a hundred times easier. I rarely ever stress over going to the bank for cash anymore. It's a win win payment method for everyone.

11. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I love PP because it is easier for my clients to pay me. Haven't worked a salaried job in a while and before i got sick, this was so much easier than waiting for a check and then waiting for it to clear. My only complaint is that bank transfers can take a couple of days.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like using Paypal and I'm honestly more comfortable we using it than giving other companies my credit card number directly. The reason I feel this way is that it is their main focus to keep the cards secure whereas other companies have to focus more on their actual business instead of security, which is why I think so many of them still have some holes in their systems.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Paypal is much safer than using a credit card. But credit card trumps paypal because you can spend you don't have.

I don't do debts though so instead of using my debit card and risk having someone steal money from my bank account I use Paypal because no one will know my debit card number or any other info that they might find useful to help them use my dough to buy themselves stuff.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me. Considering I can use my credit card directly through PayPal, too, then sometimes, I'm technically using both. I don't mind using either one when I'm online, so it just depends on whether I want to pay with direct cash (like through my PayPal balance) or if I want to get points on my credit card for cashback.

15. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Right now it hasn't been making any difference for me, I just use my regular debit card although I probably should be using paypal for added security. I can plan on doing that soon since there have been so many issues with internet security now a days.

16. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I've relied heavily upon paypal over the last year or so and use it to make online purchases every chance that I get. It's just nice having an extra layer of protection on my credit card and often times I can purchase things through my paypal account with money I have in my paypal account balance. That's worth it in itself as you're at less of a risk of being a victim of credit card fraud.

It's a great service that makes operating online much easier and safer. No reason not to use it as often as possible.

17. Zikkled

ZikkledNew Member

Threads:
    PayPal allows you to have multiple cards, so even if you already have a debit card under your account, it's really easy to add your credit card to it. Charges usually go to your bank account, which, in my case, pulls money from the debit card automatically, but you can change this. Plus, you're able to change the payment method at checkout.