PC in the living room?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by mistymi • Mar 29, 2014.

1. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Will using PCs in the living room connected to the TV ever become popular? I realize Valve is advertising their Steam Machines (smaller pre-built computers with SteamOS installed and a controller) as sort of an entertainment system for the living room, but I can't imagine them being very successful and think consoles will still be preferred by most people. Do/would you ever use your PC for the living room or do you stick to typical media players or consoles?

2. bms00

bms00Member

Threads:
    I have a 24" monitor and I really don't feel a need to connect a computer to a larger screen than that. Also I like to have the TV on while I play games, which I couldn't do if the game was using the TV screen.

3. CSomm

CSommMember

Threads:
    Personally I have my tv connected to my desktop computer and I use an wireless keyboard/mouse combo as my remote control. It works really well and it is incredibly versatile! I'd recommend this setup to anyone who is wondering what kind of monitor they should get.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too. I like to listen to the TV while I'm on the computer working so I would be a little annoyed if they were the same machine. I like being at my desk in the living room while my daughter watches TV nearby.
    I wouldn't get much work done if my computer was a family entertainment machine. Even if living room entertainment PCs take off, I wouldn't want one.

5. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    My PC is in the study. I prefer not so many people using my PC because it has some sensitive information that must be kept secret. I think TVs are the more popular that PCs these days. I use the laptop in the living room when am working on something that probably can not wait.

6. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    I don't think it will ever become popular because it's better to buy consoles and other devices like Roku that are media dedicated. They are both small and quiet so you can easily stuff them on a shelf or under the tv. They are also are easier for the average consumer and don't require you to build it like some PC's do if you are building a media center.

7. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    PC in the living room is becoming a must, in my opinion. Especially now, with the widespread usage of HDMI connections and HD televisions you can watch a stream in your 24" television and feel like you are in a cinema! Also i really enjoy playing at my television, because it helps me blow out some steam at another room

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would stick to the typical media players/consoles, because I also don't want a certain device to be mixed with another device. I'm quite content with my present media set-up. I also wouldn't want a very big screen when I'm just surfing the net or playing games, that would sort of strain my eyes.