PC or Mac?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Exsheel • Nov 23, 2013.

1. Exsheel

ExsheelNew Member

Threads:
    Didn't see a thread about this, so if there is one, I apologize. However, it's probably old and I don't feel like being that guy to bump it. Again, apologies.

SO! On topic, what is your personal preference when it comes to using a computer? Personally, I prefer using a PC due to the functionality and the extremely large support from programs, software, and mainly video games. With my PC, I've always been entirely more fond of how things work on Windows as opposed to the MAC OS, simply because it looks better. To be fair, I haven't used a mac in over a year or two, so I don't know how much has changed, but I was never to fond of the whole "Rocket Dock" thing, and just the general UI wasn't for me. However, as I said, my main reasoning is from gaming. While MAC has started accepting more games in the past year or so, it still doesn't have much in terms of support for some of the more recent and higher rated Titles. Also, I'm CONSTANTLY upgrading my computer when I can, and with MAC's that isn't a big priority, plus the over all price has always been a huge turn off.

So, what is your preferred choice? Also, please keep in mind that this isn't a thread based one why one is better then the other, it's solely about why YOU choose one over the other. We're all right here.

2. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    If you have the money and feel the need for something expensive, then sure an apple product might be a good idea. But if you are into functionality, price, variety, range of products, you always go with PC, either desktop or laptop.

3. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I have always been a PC fan. I understand to a degree what users "feel" that they get with a Mac, but overall it doesn't seem to make life any easier especially at the price points they usually tend to sell at. I applaud Steve Jobs on the brilliancy of his brand but it's just not for me

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I absolutely loathe Apple's products, OS, services and politics, so, PC for me, Mac was never even an option. Plus, a lot of the software I use every day deosn't work on Mac and I'm not the kind who's happy about having to use alternatives. :)

5. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    I honestly don't see any valid reason to buy a Mac. Even if you want Mac OS you can build your own hackintosh and it will have better specs.
    I'll always love PC and all the things it offers.

6. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    yea if youre gonna be gaming, id definitely go with a pc. You dont have to worry about voiding any warranty when you decide to upgrade the graphics card or ram on your pc

7. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    I'll try to make this as brief as possible, since there are already encyclopaedias written on the subject.

"Macintosh" is a line of personal computers designed and marketed by Apple since the late 80s, which includes both workstation/desktop computers, as well as a line of portable laptops.

"PC" is an abbreviation meaning personal computer, a term which refers to any device that is owned by an individual and used for everyday tasks, in contrast to a server cluster, a render farm, or a supercomputer.

"OS X" is the tenth version of the operating system developed and used by Apple on their computers, which builds on a Unix foundation and involves certain toolkits and APIs that make operation and application development easier/more convenient. You can install OS X on just about any computer using an Intel processor, or on AMDs with a couple adjustments.

You won't get mathematically "better" hardware simply by buying a computer from Apple. A processor is still a processor, and it's going to do the exact same thing if you put it in a different case. You also won't have a computer that magically "works better" simply because it uses a different operating system than the one you're used to. You can buy an Intel laptop and slap OS X on it if you want to, it won't cost you a cent. They also won't magically make you an "artist" or a "creative professional". Every major publishing suite, office application, DAW, or editing software is released on both Windows and OS X. In fact there are more Windows exclusives than otherwise. They also don't "work better" on OS X, anyone who has ever used an Adobe application on OS X and dares to say that with a straight face deserves to be slapped. You won't get an "artistic" computer or a creativity machine that works better for an arbitrary reason.

What you WILL get, however, is a package. A package selected and assorted by Apple, for the sole purpose of making it easier to sell. Which isn't a bad thing, I might add. Apple's computers, be it Macbooks or iMacs are famous for what they do because they do one thing really well. Everything is carefully selected and built so that it works in perfect unison, and since there's not much variation, it's also harder to break. In comparison to Linux distros or Windows, which have to support a myriad of different configurations ranging from embedded devices to tablets and server workstations, it "just works" because everything is essentially the same. The MacBook Air, for example has a battery that lasts that exact time because of the optimisations and adjustments made in OS X specifically for that purpose. The trackpad works so well because it was designed to be used only in that context. The finger gestures work so well with the window management functions because that's what they were designed for. Applications run like that because there isn't much to support, every Macbook variation has essentially the same processor family and extremely similar hardware. There's also the benefit of support, and Apple's rather generous replacement policy. If something breaks, you might not be able to fix it yourself, but it's pretty likely that you can get it repaired for free at a nearby Apple store.

Price, however, is still a pretty huge issue. If you want an Apple computer that's "competitively" priced, your best option would probably the Macbook Air. The others are just plain not worth it for that pricetag. Or you could get a refurbished model, which still comes with warranty and the benefits of buying new, with the addition of generous price cuts. Or, if you're a student or a teacher, there are also educational discounts worth looking into.

tldr: Buy a MBA or buy used.

I myself prefer Windows, although I'm on OS X at the moment.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd prefer a Mac, even though I don't really like the OS that much. I feel like Windows computers are prone to slowing down after a while, not to mention a bit buggy at times, but my old Mac laptop is still super fast after years of heavy use and I rarely have to Google search on anything about fixing it.

9. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    If you are a big gamer, or if you rely on a PC for a lot of technical applications, then you don't really have a choice and should stick with PC.

If not, I would go with Apple. I feel like the hardware has much better construction and they actually last a long, long time. I've never had a PC last half as long as my Mac has. Even playing around with my friends' PC laptops they just feel so much cheaper and less durable.

10. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I am not a Mac fan because I like to stick with what works. I've always used pcs and I'm fine with them, so there's really no reason for me to change and have to learn how to get around with a new technology, that would be a waste of time for me.

11. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    Every version of Apple's OS's are based off a modified version of linux (which is free). Apple couldn't be bigger daylight robbers if they tried to sell air. I'll give them that their Macbooks looks pretty and thin, but at the end of the day, it's what's inside that counts. You could buy a $500 laptop running any OS other than Apple's and it would be able to do twice as much. Why do some people prefer a Mac? Because Apple pay schools to have their products in them. If the first computers you use are Apple then you're going to want to continue using Apple- brand loyalty from a very young age.

12. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I would prefer Mac because it's easy to navigate and is very user-friendly. I like how it is virus-free because PC happens to have a blue screen sometimes, which is the reason I have switched to Mac. I like how Mac OS is more stable comparing to Windows OS, which I think I will stick with it for a long time to come.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Apart from the forbidding price, most software developers don't bother creating software that's can be run on OS X [the Mac OS] which can be very inconveniencing for people who don't have enough dough to buy commercial software designed specifically for Mac users while on the other side you can get lots of free open-source software. So, for me, I'd go for a PC with a windows OS any time.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never had a MAC, so I wouldn't even know which one I prefer. I was told MACs are better quality, don't get viruses and never need maintenance... but I think that is very subjective to who is using the computer.... Windows always worked for me and specially the new Windows 8 to me is great. Of course, again, I wouldn't know how to compare them, but I'm happy with my ASUS Windows laptop...

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a PC user, and I think that owning a MAC is just a luxury or a status symbol, especially when a PC can do everything that a MAC does, plus it's more compatible with a lot of games and software.

16. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    Neither OS is necessarily more easy to navigate than the other, that just comes down to personal preference and how familiar you are with each one. Macs are most certainly not virus free, and a PC only get that badly infected if you are careless enough to not take care of it. As a computer scientist, who knows the value of software and its hardware, I get offended by Apple's products being used as status symbols. there needs to be more awareness of the fact that apple is simply conning people.

17. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I see it like this.....A mac is really for those serious bits of work and you need a computer that will really handle things and give you the results that you want. If not that and you want something personal for everyday use, then a pc is the way to go. They are friendly and easy to use and i think that they are much better as an all round device.

18. suncoast15

suncoast15New Member

Threads:
    It comes down to personal preference. Many people who work with graphic design and other art related things tend to favor Mac. In addtion, Macs may appeal to less tech-savvy crowds because of their simplicity and seamlessness. That being said, software compatibility is always an issue with Mac, and PC may be a better choice if you are running some type of complex software.

Commonly thrown around statements referring to viruses have little to no validity and should not really be taken into account. Use both, try both, go with one that matches your budget and that is comfortable using. If you are a gamer, I'd definitely go with PC.

19. qaximor

qaximorNew Member

Threads:
    I first had a Macbook pro which I used to use in School all the time and I loved it! After It got really old I decided to sell it and when I moved to Germany and started Uni I decided to buy a PC. There are no big differences between PC or Mac it depends on what you want to use it for. Mac for school, internet browsing, designing etc. PC I use it for mostly gaming. I love both <3

20. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I have always been a fan of PC, but there are tons of things that the Mac has that the PC does not, so I could understand why someone would prefer Mac over PC. One of the main reasons I have loved the PC was because of how cheap PCs are compared to the Mac Book. However I like Mac's software more than Windows which is always on the PC.