People make a difference?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Gelsemium • Jul 2, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go to several sport clubs, mainly to play tennis, and I choose the clubs according to price and location mostly. I do end up sometimes in a relatively far club, because the people there (staff) are really nice and I enjoy being with them. So what do you say, when choosing a club to go, does the staff make any difference in your choice or you just look at the price and location?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Both the staff and the people attending the gym/sports club make a difference. I remember that in my younger days I chose a certain gym just because the membership was cheap, and as I soon found out, that attracted all kinds of undesirables that made the experience less appealing. These days I exercise at home, but if I'd start to go at a gym again I'd choose a more select one, even if I end up paying more.

3. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    When I go to a gym/sports club, I usually pay no attention to the people around me, unless something drastic happens. Thus, price and location become the main determining factors for me, as these will dictate whether I will be able to go as often as I intend to.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's right prettycolors, not only the staff makes a difference, but also the people attending. My kid was taking tennis lessons last year and the environment there was really cool, a lot of friendly families and the teacher was good too, so it wasn't the cheaper or the one closer to my place, but it was just the better one overall.

5. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I'm fairly focus on the price and location. I'm not all concern with the staff because my concentration is getting in a good workout session. Thankfully the staff at the location I go to workout are friendly and I never had a problem. I don't have a lot of money to do multiple memberships, so I have to stick to a club nearby my home. I guess you can say I am lucky the people there are professional and courteous.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that in many instances people make or break a place. When I was searching for a gym in my city that also had a swimming pool, I had to call up several places to make inquiries. Some of the people who answered were so rude that I couldn't even be bothered to finish the conversation, so I just hung up. In the end there was one gym that sounded right for me, and the girl on the phone was really nice. When I went there to check it out, a trainer came and took me on a personal tour. I joined that same day.

7. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    Clubs.

When I go to clubs I always look for the appearance of the outside of the club. I like it when there is nice hedges and nice grass. Especially a clean sidewalk and entrance. Everything should look clean.

When I go inside hopefully there's a greeter. I like it when their extra helpful and smile a lot. But give them a good tip if you feel they truly care about serving you. The inside decorations should have a good fashion to it. Hopefully there is wooden floors or marble floors. The smell of the place should be really fresh.

That's my input.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think that most people focus on price and location, I do that do, unless the people are really great. I've noticed, speaking in general terms, that usually women are more sensitive to people being nice to them, they worry more about the staff and so on, while men are more directed to the products or the services, at least that's how I see it. If they are not being nice to me, but that place is convenient, I just ignore them.

9. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    Yes, the staff and the people who go to sporting clubs make a lot of difference. I go to a gym 5 kilometers away from my home, because of the staff, and I have a gym next to my building. If the people who go to these places are rude and impolite, then I am losing my motivation. I think it's worth it.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I know exactly what you mean. There is this club relatively close to my place and I really like everything about it, except for the prices and the way they handle people. Some clubs are somewhat elitists, they consider some people better than other and I really can't stand that, is their money better than mine? I guess so, so I'll take mine elsewhere.

11. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I can't relate to the club situation but people definitely make a difference for me.
    The staff of a place helps me pick restaurants, supermarkets, bars, etc. I can go to a supermarket further away or go to a restaurant that's a bit more expensive if the staff is nice and pleasant.
    On the other hand, if some place has bad staff, which is rude or uninterested, I'll never go back to that place, no matter how cheap it might be.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I am not exactly like that, the staff has to be really bad for me not to return to a place, if I live the food or the service, or even the price or the location. There are such places though, one of them is a restaurant called Portugália where the servers are simply scary and rude, so I never go there again, they just make my meal unpleasant.

13. IrishLad

IrishLadNew Member

Threads:
    The staff don't matter as much as the location and price, they're the two important factors. However I could see myself considering the people working there if either 1) They're extremely helpful, friendly and cheerful and make me want to come back or 2) They're awful and make me want to never come back again. In either of those two cases I would take it into consideration, however if the workers are just average then I won't think about it.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    If it's a coach, it makes all the difference, more than the location and price. For example, I am considering doing tennis lessons and I have a lot of clubs near to where I live, but I do have confidence with one specific coach a little further away and he will be my choice if I finally decide to take the classes regardless of the price (prices are similar though :)) and location.

15. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The first thing that I consider is the location. It has to be close to where I live because time is really important. Second that I am looking at to is the price. Even if the place is close to the place where I live, if it costs high, then I would rather look for something else far cheaper. I don't care at all about the staff, but in all the places, I manage to maintain nice relationship with them.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Those are all valid arguments 003, but just now I am starting to have tennis classes and I will go off my way to get the coach I want, I mean, I have a good relation with him, I trust his skills, so I prefer to use the car, pay for parking and gas just to be trained by someone I trust instead of giving a shot in the dark not knowing if the person is qualified or not.

17. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    Even though it's not a deal breaker, I do prefer going somewhere where the staff is friendly. If there is just an average staff, not overly friendly, but not unfriendly, than I don't have a problem with that either, because then I can just mind own business and get a good workout. But if the staff is particularly unfriendly than that might deter me a bit, and I end up not really looking forward to going. If I'm spending a lot of money on a facility, than I want to enjoy going there.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This is definitely true for me. I don't even like going to restaurants where the servers don't smile, but that's not to say that I consider it a requirement. I just would be much more encouraged to go back if the people are friendly, since I know I can get food or sports at any similar venue anyway, so the staff's friendliness does make for a major difference when comparing them all with each other. I wouldn't say I value it more than the facilities, though, since I'd much rather go to a place with good facilities even if their staff is a little less friendly.

19. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly do not care about the people around me too much. I just go to a gym though. However, if the people who work there are rude and not nice like ever, that would be a deal breaker. I am paying money to be here and I don't want to be treated badly. I think it is fair enough.

20. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To me it does make a difference depending on the people, however I would say it mostly depends on the people that workout in the place, not so much the staff. I don't usually have that much contact with the staff aside from the usual greetings, but I do like it when the people who go to my gym are young, around my age, and nice looking, because I feel self-conscious about my own look and that serves me as an inspiration to look and be my best!