People Scamming To Get Free Food

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ACSAPA • Apr 28, 2015.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you guys had any experiences with people scamming to get free food?
    I'm still fuming because this morning a strange man ate my breakfast. I ordered the Taco Bell breakfast burritos and wondered why my food was taking an unusual amount of time.
    As it turns out, a man received the wrong bag, left with my food, ATE ALL OF MY FOOD and then came back with the empty wrappers to say "Hey ,you gave me the wrong food." ,at which point they gave him his food.
    So he got to eat my meal for free and then his own, just by playing dumb.

And I got to wait even longer while they cooked my food all over again.
    While I was waiting, a sketchy looking guy filled a large Big Gulp cup with soda and left without paying.
    Then I left and used a Bank of America ATM machine that someone had splattered with ketchup.

Why are people so dishonest, just to save a few bucks? And who thinks it's okay to spray ketchup at an automated teller machine? Do you think people have become more dishonest and cheap?
    I swear, every time I plug in my tablet to charge it at a restaurant, I catch people trying to steal it.

I'm not feeling positive about people today. I don't think that putting a metaphorical knife in someone's back is a good way to save money.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would never leave a computer or tablet unattended at a restaurant, especially a fast food joint with younger people lurking around - that thing will be good as gone. Even when I used to hit up coffee shops, I hated leaving my computer at a table while I went up to the counter to get another coffee - I would watch it like a hawk the whole time, because you never know who will try to make off with it, even if the people in there don't seem like the type to steal your stuff.

Taco Bell is notorious for screwing up orders and giving you and others the wrong order. They must have a really lousy point of sale system or something that they can't keep the orders in track at the drive thru or something.

Only once, did they make a mistake in my favor - and although I should have gone back and returned it, I was actually totally starving and completely broke that day (I was still in college at the time). I had scraped up enough money from my car seat to get one plain taco, and I still had like three more hours of class to go afterwards after my break. They accidentally gave me one of those large 10 packs of tacos - even after I had only paid them for one taco. Happy accident, but in reality even if I did return the food, they could not give it to another customer because I had handled it first. So it would have either gotten tossed or they would have snacked on it themselves.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn,t leave my tablet unattended. I was standing a couple of feet away but a sketchy looking middle aged dude assumed the owner wasn't around and started swiping at the lock screen right in front of me.

In the case of your mixed up Taco Bell order, I feel sympathy for you because you were a poor student.
    In my situation , I'm the poor one and I ordered off the dollar menu. Meanwhile the douche who ate my food had the pricier steak tacos. So after he ate my poor dollar menu food, he got to eat his more expensive meal as a chaser.

After that and the ketchup splattered ATM machine, I went to return some DVDs to the library and a guy accused me of stealing his DVD of The Interview.
    After accusing me, he found the DVD under his laptop, where he had put it to prop up his laptop for cooling purposes.
    Days like this are why some people say that they hate other people.

My final stop of the day was at Goodwill where a 76 year old man with a daughter older than me asked me out and kept staring at my feet and asking me perverted personal questions. It was an irritating end to a crappy day, but at least I found a huge, framed poster for the video game Alice: Madness Returns by EA Games. It was only $4.

4. BigBigFan

BigBigFanMember

Threads:
    True story about Taco Bell since it was mentioned in the oppening post - There is a guy who eats for free at Taco Bell's all over his state by running the same scam at the drive through, and it works every stinking time which makes me mad. At the window he claims that the store forgot part of his order on a previous day and that he called in about it. He says that he was told he'd get the item for free the next time he came by. They ask his name and, obviously, can't find a record of his call or missed order but they also don't want to keep everyone else in line waiting so they just give him the food to avoid trouble.

So while everyone else pays full price, and has items missing for real(which is another racket) this guy eats for free by running the racket backwards against the store. Source: He posts about it on youtube now.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's disgusting. Do you have a link to his YouTube videos? People on Youtube are not shy about posting comments and I wonder what people are saying about this guy.

Another Taco Bell story, this guy complained that his tacos didn't taste fresh and his party was ruined, so the staff brought him what seemed like bag after bag of free replacement food, and he ordered more food while he was there, which he will likely complain about later to get more replacement food. Everyone that was in line had to wait because all hands were on deck to make up 4 bags of replacement tacos for this guy's party. I wonder how much of the food they ate before they decided to complain.

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know how many of these people are actually in need, or just plane dishonest, but I sure understand your frustration. I know from someone who works at a large grocery store that the number one thing people say when they are caught shoplifting is that they were hungry and didn't have enough money. Maybe it's true sometimes, maybe not. I do know there is help out there for those who are legitimately out of money and need some food, but some people are too embarrassed to go ask for help even when they need it. And then there are quite a few people out there who just don't want to pay.

7. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah...Years ago when I worked at a Burger King it seemed like people were often trying to put one over and most times they were successful. The customer is always right, right? And I can't stand the fact that nearly every fast food chain has opted for putting the drink fountains out in the lobby and offering refills. It makes the price of the meal higher. Especially for people like myself who always drink water. I end up paying for the drink that I don't get because if I don't they'll give me a tiny courtesy cup to put water in as they're afraid that anyone who orders water is going to cheat and get a soft drink instead. Which ,of course, a lot of people do.

8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    There's always going to be people trying to run scams. I think it's pretty tough on the fast food workers because Lord knows it's much easier to give them the food than to deal with the issue so that they stop coming back. They certainly don't get paid enough to do that.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Can't comment on the Taco Bell part since I've been turned off by that place since I got sick that one year and I don't know of any scamming food stories but I can relate about the tablet thing. It was a long while ago but someone stole our bike at our apartment. Granted it was unattended but it was on our patio. I guess you gotta watch everything you value 24/7.

10. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    That must be desperation! I mean, who would knowingly eat someones food, it does not seem right!

There are too many dishonest people in the world, I think it is wrong. That is why wars start, through dishonesty and lies.