People Spend More Money When They Shop Online?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Denis Hard • Oct 5, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's no denying the fact that most of everything you buy online will be a lot cheaper and this is what gets most shoppers to spend more money. Enticed by the low prices they'll buy even things they don't need immediately especially if they are marked down so they won't miss out on the deal but even though they are taking advantage of the deals they actually aren't saving any money because they are spending more than they intended to.

Have any of you ended up spending more money online because of the deals?

2. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Thankfully I always make it a point to have things I want or need before searching any online deals, so this hasn't been an issue for me. I have impulse bought certain things I've seen on sale, but it's always something I planned on buying eventually.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad to say that i'm very disciplined when it comes to shopping, whether it's on the high street or online. I've become even more disciplined since I got married, because I have to consider my husband and all our other commitments too. In as much as I love clothes and would like to spend all my wages on clothes each time I get paid, I always decide on a specific amount to spend before I shop, and I rigidly stick to that amount.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if I have done this. As I have said before, I usually use Amazon and that frequently doesn't cost me any money. I get discouraged with online shopping, as the shipping costs are frequently prohibitive. I find the shipping costs frequently negate the low prices online.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I do spend more at times when I buy online, because I am fond of bidding especially if the bid is still low, so I tend to compete just for the thrill of winning. I don't do that now as much as I used to though.

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m not much of a spender online, but many sites certainly do make it easy to overspend. Free shipping thresholds, good deals… and on top of that, it’s just so easy to keep adding things to the cart. I don’t succumb, though… usually. Haha. I’ve actually found out I’m far more likely to overspend IRL. Instant gratification, I guess.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are always temptations to spend more online, but generally I try to keep spending to the free shipping limit. I know with some beauty companies they offer more gifts and sample sizes when you spend over certain thresholds, but then I think do I really need another cosmetic bag, and even though the shower gel is worth $15, I would never have bough it in the first place. I still look though, but the good thing is the basket gets emptied quickly afterwards!

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a regular online shopper but when I do, I am very careful because my husband would always remind me that online shopping is habit-forming. And worse for him because what I use in paying my purchases is his Paypal account. In fairness to me, I am always discrete (not discreet) in my purchases and I try not to buy on impulse in online shopping because the picture may not be what the item really is.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This happens to me sometimes but honestly it doesn't just happen online. If I'm at a store and I see something I really like, I'll buy it even if I go over budget because I know I'll be able to replace the money but if I miss out on the item I may never be able to find another one like it. As for online sales, I personally tend to be more careful when it comes to that because then I at least have some time to contemplate and do research.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:No I just spend time looking for what I can afford and stick with it. Walmart and amazon has free shipping for orders $35.00 and up! Love the free shipping offer.

11. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately - even though I do of course always enjoy snapping up a bargain - as I generally only ever buy what is needed and can be afforded - I haven't as yet ever been caught out and bought something I didn't plan to - just because items where on sale - either online or when shopping in brick and mortar stores.

However that said - I do appreciate how easy it could be to fall into the trap of buying more than intended - especially as the wording of the majority of both online and offline offers - is always very definitely aimed at enticing people into buying more than they planned to.

12. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    I think it's crazy when people say they save money with online shopping. They must know where the best deals are at. Whenever I shop at Amazon, I have to worry about the shipping costs ON TOP OF the price of the items I want. I don't think I'm saving money at all. This is only in comparison to if you went to a physical store and bought something. You'd just worry about the tax added. The only way I could see people saving more money online is through some trusty coupons. Beware of DontPayFull, ladies and gentlemen.

13. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    They absolutely do. The prices of online products are already higher than in stores. Plus you have to pay shipping and handling 99% of the time, so with all of that everything is more expensive. I rarely shop online. I have to find something I'm in love with and have to own in order to even think about buying something from the web. I do all of my shopping in store and that's it. I might buy some gifts online for birthdays for my kids, but that's about it. And even with that I need to read the reviews, look up videos to see if they're what they claim to be, etc. You can save so much money by finding things the same or similar in store.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This doesn't surprise me, because when people are shopping online the prices are usually cheaper than in-store, and also, sometimes there are monetary limits to get free shipping. So if you spend a certain amount at a certain website, you will get free shipping, so people tend to spend more in that respect too.

15. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    I admit that I tend to spend more money online. Deducting $50 from my PayPal account just doesn't seem as big of a deal as handing $50 worth of physical bills to a cashier. In addition, lots of companies offer free shipping if you surpass a certain threshold so I'll just throw a few extra items in my cart just to get free shipping.

16. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    It's interesting to see the polarized opinions on this, even within this very thread. Some people are saying "Online purchases are always more expensive" and others are saying "It's almost always cheaper online!"

It boils down to shopping smart, regardless of which form. I personally tend to find better deals online, but that's because I put a ton of research into purchases, scout out deal sites/discounts/coupons, and patiently wait for price drops. Try using programs to track certain items - it can alert you when the price drops or reaches it's "lowest ever." Never make a purchase without googling promotional codes for the website, and then use a site like Ebates if you can, to get a % of cash back.

The main thing to be careful of is not to buy useless junk you don't need/didn't intend on buying, simply to meet a free shipping threshold. Spend $100 and get free shipping? Great, but if the item you want is only $20, and then it cost $6.99 to ship, you're better off just paying the shipping.

17. JennyHeart

JennyHeartNew Member

Threads:
    I tend to buy less majority of the time when I shop online. I tend to spend more when I go shopping in stores than online. I tend to want to walk down all the aisles of the stores I have gone shopping in.That allows me to see more things and want to buy them. I spend less shopping online. If I went to buy a pair of shoes at Walmart for instance I would probably end up buying other things besides a pair of shoes. if I shop online for a pair of shoes I tend to only shop for a pair of shoes.

18. kkent

kkentNew Member

Threads:
    I tend to spend more when I go to supermarket. Some supermarket like walmart have attractive offers all the time .I could not resist the temptation to buy something I don't need right now.while shopping online , I only look for something I want. I think it is because the time for delivery reduce my desire.

19. bigsumm22

bigsumm22New Member

Threads:
    Yes, I'm guilty! I do like a good deal, who doesn't? But I can get carried away with online purchases if I'm not careful. I'll usually go online to purchase something for me that's a great price, but then I'll think about other people who may need the item as well, and I'll either buy more as gifts for everyone too. It's easy to get swooped up in buying items online because you can't see the quality or rather know how well you will like it if your not physically looking at it in person before purchasing said item.

20. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought so much about that. I think the shipping costs are the ones that get me. When you shop in public, there are no shipping costs. But online you get charged however much your items are, shipping, and taxes. So yeah I definitely think we are spending a little, or a lot more by shopping online. I just prefer online shopping versus public shopping. At least I will not see someone with my same outfit on haha.