Pepper Spray - Which Is The Best?

Discussion in Travel started by Patryk9595 • Apr 19, 2015.

1. Patryk9595

Patryk9595New Member

Threads:
    Hey! Recently my friend and I were hitchiking, and as we left the bus to go to the highway, on the station we encountered a group of, let's say not too friendly people. We had a lot of luck, and not got robbed, but this made me think of buying a Pepper Spray. From your experience which one is the best, and what should I focus on while bying one?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not one to use pepper sprays. Although I had my earrings snatched up in the past, I try to employ other mechanisms to avoid the same incident from happening again. According to reviews, though, Mace Pepper Spray is one of the most competitive brands. Perhaps you should try it for yourself.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you don't know that much about pepper spray, then you shouldn't be using it, period. The fact is that I guarantee you don't realize that pepper spray when fired spreads across the immediate area, and the slightest amount of wind sends it back into your own face. Most pepper sprays are relatively the same, and they're all going to burn the heck out of someone's face, if you know how to properly deploy the spray.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's terrible, I'm glad you're ok and nothing serious happened. I wish I could help you.. we're not allowed to defend ourselves here unless you get all crafty about it. The above poster makes a good point.. I never would have thought of the dangers to myself; make sure you know what you're doing :)

5. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I carry pepper spray with me every day, I have it attached to my key ring. I don't know what brand is best though. I bought a bottle of pepper spray at a gun show years ago, and I'm thinking it must have been a good brand simply because of where it was being sold from, but I don't remember the brand. These days I carry a brand that I bought from Rite Aid.

6. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I both carry the Kimber Pepper Blaster II. I have, fortunately, never had to use it, so I can't tell you on a personal level how effective it is, but it is lightweight, ergonomic, and easy to use but still has safety features that prevent you from accidentally discharging it. There are several videos on both YouTube and the company's website showing how it works; it has a long range and the potential to keep an attacker down for nearly 45 minutes...plenty of time to get away and call the police.

7. jfab

jfabNew Member

Threads:
    I'm a man and I don't really use it. Although I tell my girlfriend to always be armed with it. So far, I think it's the safest that you could use without killing the adversary. Other weapons that are too deadly are just for life and death situations only.

8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I think pepper spray is a good tool/weapon for self-defense. I am actually considering purchasing one. It's also much better if you have a cutter with you, just in case the situation gets violent.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it depends on where it is that you live - which country. In the UK, it is illegal to carry pepper spray if you are not authorized to carry it. Of course, people still manage to get their hands on it, and carry it as a weapon in any event. But I think that there is a punishment if you get caught with it, and you are not authorized to be carrying it.

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with @troutski@troutski, all it takes is a tiny breeze to carry it back into your face, and you could be disabled, and left more vulnerable than you were originally. If you do get some, be sure you test it out, so you know exactly how to hold it and how it responds to the atmosphere. I think it's a good idea to be prepared, and as others have said, definitely check to make sure you're complying with the law, as it's illegal in some places. I usually have some sort of weapon on me, whether it's pepper spray, my (recently demised) stun gun, a blade, etc., because you never know what or whom you will encounter. Around here, I'm more likely to encounter a dog, coyote, bobcat, or alligator, but there are thugs everywhere.

11. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    I have pepper spray that I keep on my key ring and feel safer having it with me on walks or when I'm out and about doing errands and shopping. If you decide to purchase a pepper spray, be sure to make note of the expiration date on the device. They really do expire, and you will need to replace it before the expiration date if you rely on it for your peace of mind.

12. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    If you feel insecure you should definetely get one just in case you need it, doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman. As for the brand, you won't have any problem finding a good one since there are so many to chose from.