Peppermint Tea

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DreekLass • Mar 6, 2015.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always drunk peppermint tea, but not as regularly as I have recently begun to, because of my digestive issues? I heard that it relaxes the stomach, and helps to produce all of the right things to stimulate healthy digestion, and so I have been drinking multiple cups of it a day, no sugar.

I have noticed that after a drink a cup, I feel sort of spaced out and high? Has anyone else experienced this??

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I've never felt that way. Have you looked it up yet, to see if others had similar experiences elsewhere? I'm sorry you're having gut issues, Dreek.. not fun. What sort of problems are you having? Have you talked to your god yet? I mean doctor?

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, don't quote me on this, but I think if I remember correctly that peppermint is also a relaxent in its own right. After all it does help to relax the stomach and to make us feel better then we have stomach distress. I would however check with your doctor. Also, you can do a little more research online. To be honest I have never noticed this myself when I drank peppermint tea. That doesn't mean this isn't possible, perhaps it might have something to do with the brand of tea as well. Have you looked at the tea ingredients to see what else could be in it along with peppermint.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    The emotional issues that are the metaphysical cause of my gut issues are spot on. The God is me, and I have not had a deep enough talk with myself yet, apparently ;)

I think I have IBS. At this point I am partly blaming the doctors who performed my operation when I was ten, and my mother?? I had my appendix burst when I was ten, and the perforation infected a portion of my bowels, and so they had to take a good portion of my bowels out too. I was told that I would always suffer from constipation or diarrhea, which yay me lol.

As a child of ten, I did not realize how important it was for me to eat healthily for then on out, to ensure a healthy gut in adulthood. I've always had a weakened digestive system since them, but I did not know the implications. But I feel that my mother, as my parent, should have been conscious of this. If I had a kid who had gone through the procedure that I had gone through, I would go out of my way to advise them as to the best foods to enhance their life and help them avoid gut problems. Sadly, bloating just seems to be a reality for me regardless of what I do, which sucks because it makes menstruating all the more painful and uncomfortable. In fact when I am on my period, I don't eat at all??? If there is nothing to digest, I won't get any more pain or discomfort than menstruation normally gives me. So I only drink water, not that that helps.

I'm sure there are bodies lying around somewhere - maybe I'll get me a new one lol.

Pafjlh, I looked at the package and did not see anything that would alarm me, as far as ingredients. I mean, I'm aware that it is supposed to relax, and it certainly does. The problem is that I feel relaxed to the point that it is almost like I have just smoked a joint lol. It's like free legal weed. Lol

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow.. that's so sad and unfair. Like this was just forced on you :( <--- omg, he's so sweet, I need to hug him! Annnyway, I don't know how things are there, but IBS is a catch all here, you would totally get that diagnoses and a lot of very unhelpful advice and meds to go with it.. you'd get worse. I know SO SO many people with "IBS" and not one of them have the same symptoms. Doctors seriously need to get their acts together. I know they don't have a lot of time, but that's the biggest part of the problem.

So you eat nothing.. there are seriously no foods that agree with you around that time??? Not even fruits? lol (I'm a fruit nut if you haven't figured it out lol). I find upping fruits has made being a woman consiiiiiiiderably more comfortable. Like HUGE change. I used to get migraines and it was heavy and uncomfortable and now it's so easy breezey, I could do commercials LOL. veggies can be iffy.. depends on the veggie. Both fruits and veggies have fibre, but I find fruit fibre much easier on the system. Gawd, I feel so sorry for you and I agree with what you said about your mum. No offence to her, many people just really never grasp the food/health connection as long as weight isn't an issue.. she should have been informed by the doctors and she should have informed herself. You were too young to make that connection yourself. aaaaw, I feel bad. I would still get the doctors opinion, just to rule other things out (gut issues are beyond serious and can get out of control with one little infection or bacterial overgrowth), but go from there yourself if it's nothing seriously serious. Which I know you likely would anyway, but meh.. it's worth getting their opinion and a good look at your insides to be more sure of what you're dealing with xo

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    Thanks for your input, JosieP :) :) :) I have looked into eating more fruit and have been more recently. It's usually apples, orange, and bananas. But I find that the fiber stimulates bowel movements and releases the gasses that come from that chemical reaction, which starts off the bloating all over again?? So I just eat nothing, and I find that that reduces the pain, though I still get pain. Just not as much as I would had I been eating.

I do feel like I should get a doctor's input, to make sure that I am not dealing with anything more serious. But I feel like the cure is a complete and utter re hauling of my diet. I don't want to get leaky gut syndrome or anything like that, which would make treating the IBS ever more difficult, due to the allergies to every day foods that my body would fall under. I don't want medication though, as you well know lol. I want a natural treatment, typically dietary. I find that my case is different, because I do not have a good portion of my bowels to help with all that digestion entails. I do suffer with terrible constipation, and have for years. Sometimes it seems like it does not matter how much water I drink - I just cannot get a bowel movement going. I stay away from milk, even though it would help with bowel movements. Often, it sets me off into diarrhea mode though. I eat fruit when not menstruating, and within thirty minutes or so I can usually get a bowel movement going. But when I'm on my period, the inner movements of my gut irritate the bloating, and results in pain. If there is nothing to move through my gut, or digestive system, that cuts out a large portion of the pain, which I realize is not healthy to not be eating during that time. But I'm used to it now.

The only time that I have an easy period is when I am in a really healthy and happy emotional state. But of course, with life, that is not always so easy. I really wish that after my operations, they'd informed my mother of what an improper diet could lead to in my adulthood. Not surprisingly though, my grandmother was always telling me to eat well because I only have 'half a stomach left' as she used to say lol. But all adults say that, and when you are a child, you still don't really get it, you know?? Don't even get me started on doctors though. I was only supposed to have one operation, but they left some of the infection in my stomach, and I almost died. They sent me home with infection still left in my stomach. But I always felt that something was still wrong. I had to be rushed to a children's hospital, where they knew what they were actually doing. When they got a look at the incision that the first hospital made, they were disgusted, and could not believe that they had made such an ugly and clumsy incision on my stomach.

I can't wear bikinis - well I can. But I feel rather self conscious with this huge scar running down my stomach, and knowing that I did not have to have such a huge 'ugly' scar blemishing my stomach, does not help with my anger over the situation. I'm thinking of getting a tattoo over it ;) We all know how much you love tats lmao :) :) :)

#6Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  7. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    No, I drink mint tea but didn't have or feel the way you do. In the summer I make my own mint tea since we have them growing in the yard, and in the winter I bought tea bags to drink. They relax my stomach when I feel like I have too much acidity.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LMAO!! I DO love tats, I DON'T like them for the sake of having them lol... the fad, in other words. I think it's a great idea if it would make you feel more secure about the scarring. I would too and in fact, I do have a scar I was thinking of covering with a tat, but I'm horribly easy to bore and worry about what to put there lol.

I feel really bad for your situation.. it's things like this that make it so hard for everyone to put their lives in these people's hands. and they wonder why everyone is turning to the internet! It's scary.. you just NEVER know how you'll turn out either way, when they are there to make us well and secure in our health. They just seem to endanger us more often then not.

As for the fruit, I personally don't do well with apples. They really upset my stomach when I eat them, especially if they're cold. And bananas are great, but they're bulk doesn't feel so great when you're bloaty as it is. I think oranges are awesome though, but that's just me and my bod. Maybe try one at a time to figure out which your body digs more and go from there? It's bugging me that you don't eat at certain times lol, but it's not going to kill you either. Those with certain gut issues could do well to give it a rest from time to time to give the body less focus on digestion and more on healing. So whatever feels comfortable, that's what you do! Milk is inflammatory, I'm not surprised by your reaction to it.. I would never suggest it for anything but the trash lol. But if you want to try eating, I'd say the higher the water content, the better. Not just plain water.. although that's good too, but the reason the oranges work is because you're getting the awesome, natural fibres along with their super high water content. I prefer them anyway, but I agree.. sometimes fibres just irritate the issue and it's best to keep the bulk and gasses down. Everyone has a food that works for them, it's just a matter of trial and error.

Aaaw, I wanna hug your guts! lol poor you

#8Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  9. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I love peppermint tea so much that I started growing my own. It is so much better than what you buy. You can use it fresh when it's in season and easily dry it for the winter months. I can't say I've ever noticed feeling a particular "high" after drinking it, but I do find ot to be relaxing and quite satisfying on more than one level.

10. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I love peppermint tea and brewed my own all summer from fresh peppermint from my back porch. I was pregnant and found it wonderfully settling for all the issues that come with pregnancy.

The "high" feeling you are getting might have something to do with the removal of toxins from your body. I mean, don't quote me on that, but I know I get lightheaded every time I go to the chiropractor and very often after a bath in epsom salt, because of the redirected (and open) blood flow, and the toxins cleaning out.

As far as your stomach issues go - have you ever considered bone broth? It is WONDERFUL. You should look up the GAPS diet (which highly encourages a bone broth regimen). I've read awesome things about it for those who need it.

Also - do you take probiotics? Another great thing for just about everyone, but possibly even more beneficial for you.

11. DreekLass

Threads:

Hey. Thank you so much for your advice :)

I have Googled this high feeling that I have been getting, and nothing worth noting seems to come up, which is strange. I have had peppermint tea in the past, and not experienced this feeling - not that I can recall anyway.

I will definitely look into bone broth!!! And the GAPS diet. I do not take probiotics. What would be the best ones to take??

12. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe you've just been in so much discomfort that you've forgotten what it feels like to be well? If your stomach is finally beginning to relax, it's bound to feel good and it must be a real relief for you.

13. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, whatever is on sale is typically what I buy - but look for lactobacillus (as opposed to acidophilus) as the main ingredient. I've used Culturelle and Ultimate Flora and like both equally. Once in a while the CVS brand will have a 100% back in extra care bucks, so I'll get those too. I store mine in the fridge.

My sister in law recently has been dealing with some undiagnosed gastro intestinal issues. She's seen several doctors and was finally told to go on a low FODMAP diet, which she says is next to impossible to keep up with. Anyway, after being on it pretty strictly for 6 weeks, she reports that the only thing that has made a noticeable improvement in how she feels is taking probiotics. (Score.) So there you go. My thing is that they can't hurt, so the worst they can do is cost money and do nothing.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Oh, ok. Again, thank you for the information. I have heard of lactobacillus before, but I was not aware of what it did. I am not a fan of these extreme diets. I'd rather get to the root of the problem, and if that is a lack of something, then I'd like to give it what it needs. I hope probiotics will help with the bloating and pelvic pains too.

15. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    The menthol in the peppermint tea relaxes your stomach and gut muscles, if you were feeling indigestion or constipation the relief that the tea brings might give you that "high".

Overall I think it's a good drink to take after the end of a heavy meal, but drinking it daily might present some health problems. Best to check with your doctor.

16. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have experienced the same tea, but not with a peppermint tea. Generally teas give me the same effect. Whichever tea, they just make me high, but not really spaced out. They, in fact, allow me to focus more and have greater attention span. Also they make me feel relaxed, one thing that I really like on teas.

17. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    I grow both peppermint and spearmint in my flower beds to use for tea. When my first child was a baby, I had a hispanic neighbor who put diluted peppermint tea in her little one's bottle when he had an upset tummy and it always helped to sooth him I started doing the same with my daughter and it was great. My forth child had colic for the first 6 months, and diluted tea in her bottle really helped