Perfume/body spray/scents

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DancingLady • Nov 22, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Many women like to wear perfume, body spray, or another scented product, but I have seen articles and blogs where men say they do not like this very much and would rather a woman smelled like soap and shampoo than all this fancy stuff.

What is your take on this? Do you wear a scent for yourself, for your man (if applicable) for other women?

I stopped wearing rosewater when I coworker (female) said she hated the smell of roses. Since then I haven't worn anything other than whatever scent might be left from my shampoo, but occasionally I think it would be nice to get a scented product. I am not looking to make myself attractive to men, but I certainly don't want to offend anyone with too strong a scent.

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you should wear what ever makes you happy. You should not stop wearing perfume because a man doesn't like it if you love it... I myself am not a fan of very strong perfume. I prefer lighter floral scents, however, if I liked strong and sweet perfume I would wear it even if someone told me that they didn't like it.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think everyone should wear whatever fragrance and clothes for that matter that they like. All these articles on what men want and what women want are really fabricated using information from a small selection of the population. Why would you not do something you like because the other person doesn't like it? Many of these articles and blogs are created content where the writer gathers a few friends ideas and make up the rest and many don't have a clue. Articles like that set back women's rights, (I'm not a feminist, but the attitude seems Victorian to me!) and don't help women if men read these things.

If someone was allergic to a fragrance then that is a different matter and it does happen, but to not wear it because someone doesn't like it seems silly, but kind of you to oblige. I used to work on a fragrance counter and I had one I hated and it gave me a headache and whenever anyone sprayed it, I had to counter spray it with something else I liked afterwards!

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    If you had known this coworker, you might understand my decision a little better. She was the most judgmental person I have ever met and she didn't like me, so it was not worth it to me to continue something so trivial to me if it was bugging her because it would just be one more way that I was pressing her buttons unintentionally.

5. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Less make-up, well-comb straight hair, simple clothes... and the smell of baby cologne is perfectly fine.

6. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I finally found a body oil that I really loved. I wore it to work one day and then bam....

I shared an office with 'my Supervisor'. I heard her sniffly and sneezing, then she started coughing real bad. I turned around and asked if she was okay. She turned around and her eyes were all red and teary. She said "I think it's what you got on. I had to exit out of the office and wash it off. I'm cracking up right now because I can:eek:

How nice of her to have tolerated that and not say anything.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, that's too bad. There are quite a few people who have allergies. At least she was really polite about it and didn't get mad at your or anything.

8. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I wear whatever makes me happy and not dizzy. If other people don't like my perfume, then they can stay away from me. After all, I did not wear that perfume for other people to smell me. :p

9. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I'm one of those guys who don't really like perfumes or body sprays or whatever. I don't hate it when a girl wears perfume, but there are some who just overdo it. Sometimes, the scent can be overwhelming. And fancy perfumes can only do so much. There are more important things to worry about, like personal hygiene.

10. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I have allergies, but I only have a problem with perfumes when they're too concentrated. Some people wear way too much perfume, and when it's like that my allergies do act up because of them, but if they wear it moderately I have no problem with it and like the smell a lot. I, myself don't wear perfume, but I do enjoy it on girls.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, this is interesting! I have never once stopped to consider people may not like my scents. I and understand someone being that way because they have allergies or perfume causes them headache. I love perfume and wear a few different ones, dependent on the occasion. I think those people around you who don't like perfume or are allergic to them ought to exercise a little tact, too! I wouldn't take very kindly to someone being rude about me wearing perfume. I mean, would they prefer to be assailed by all manner of body odour?! I'm also very lucky as my husband likes perfume and often buys me my favourites. Plus he also likes to smell good and invests in some good brands every so often.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aside from being expensive, perfumes/body sprays tend to have really strong scents so I haven't bought one in ages. I do use cologne just to smell fresh. I live in the tropics and there are times when the sun's so hot that you can't really avoid feeling icky and dried up. Cologne helps put off the sun-exposed scent.

13. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I never buy perfume. I bought the perfume version of Wings fragrance. That was over ten years ago. I still have some.
    There are so many colognes I love. I never buy perfume. I love Armani Gio. I like to use the soap and the fragrance.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like wearing scents and I like smelling it on others. I prefer the lighter or more subtle tones though since I know any strong scent has much more possibility of putting off more people even if they might appeal to some a bit more than a lighter scent. I think the softer perfumes are much more of a safe bet so I usually just go for those whenever I'm shopping for one.

15. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I like fragrant scents, but I hate them to be really too strong. Perfumes and body spray scents should be just right, not too much or not futile. What's the point of putting it if in the first place, no one's gonna smell it and that even you couldn't smell the scent. On the other hand, just imagine how others will react if they find that your scent is too annoying because it's overly applied. You don't want to irritate the people around you, those who are going to smell you, but you don't want to just be nothing. So it's important that the intensity of your scent be just right, to make the most of the pleasure that you intend to have by wearing them.

16. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    The office I work at has a policy restricting the usage of perfumes and colognes due to possible allergies. I'm pretty glad about it to be honest since there are a few offenders who apply far too much product and are quite overpowering for those people with sensitive noses.

I find that this is particularly noticeable when the person is a smoker too, since I guess smoking dulls their sense of smell. That, coupled with the mix of cigarette smell makes for one very potent smell that many people (myself especially) find offensive.

17. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most men that I am acquainted with tell me that they dislike heavy scents on women. They much prefer women who have a natural smell. And vice versa.
    I don't think that there are many women who enjoy to be around men who wear an overbearing aftershave or deodorant. The worst is stale deodorant.
    I think the smell of fresh soap, and perhaps a discrete drop of natural, essential oil, is the way to go. :)