Perhaps buy gifts for next year now?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by andrew320 • Dec 19, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not talking about purchasing Christmas gifts, but presents for a close one's birthday or anniversary. I finished my Christmas shopping and was only a few bucks over my budget (shipping and taxes). However, I noticed that there was a discount or reduction at Lands' End of an item that my wife wanted. Her birthday is in March so it's not too far and I got it now. That way, I won't have to spend money in three months again (only dinner).

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of it that way. During these weeks are very important discounts in some shops and certainly is an interesting opportunity to take advantage of these offers. Anyway, it all depends on our budget and the gift we have in mind. The ideal is think in the birthdays that we have near in the calendar and plan the gifts we can buy. Maybe this is something anticipated but is an alternative that can benefit our pocket, our time and in particular is an option that ensures a higher quality gift for that person. :p

3. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    My mom's birthday is in March as is my husbands and our Godson's. I almost always buy part of their birthday gifts right after Christmas. I fill in what they didnt' get on their list and take advantage of post Christmas sales.

4. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I've done this with my kids, and my husband's birthday is in January, so I always pick up his birthday gift at before or after Christmas sales. I only do a few things. I could easily get carried away and buy way too much.

5. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    Before Christmas discounts on shipping for online stores is a great thing to take advantage of. I ordered some labrets for my piercing earlier today and they were greatly discounted for this reason. They weren't for a gift, but I took advantage of the savings! I also like to check post-Christmas sales for birthday gifts. This is the best time of the year to get deals, so why not?!

6. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I think it's a great idea! Buying year round during sales is a great way to "stock" up on gifts - no matter the occasion. There will always be sales going on - for instance, when the weather gets nicer, winter items will go on sale. A great time to get a lovely scarf and glove set, or a pair of nice earmuffs, or winter-scented candles. These would make great gifts for winter birthdays or holidays.

Back-to-school sales are a great time to stock up on purchases for young ones - your children, nephews, nieces, grandchildren, etc. - who like certain shows or characters. Many of these can be found on backpacks, folders, school supplies, etc. A great time to snatch those on sale when everyone's in a back-to-school frenzy.

After major holidays, like Mother's Day, Christmas, or Valentine's Day, you should check out the chocolate boxes! Some are very obviously for certain holidays, but you can get lucky and get a nice, plain box of wonderful chocolates - on major discount, especially the day after. Chocolates stay good for at least a full year and are a great gift for any occasion (someone's birthday at work, a housewarming gift for a friend, a visit to a family member, etc.)!

#6Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  7. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    That's a good idea because that's what I do. I write a list of who I am to give a gift to every year. Then I start shopping for the perfect gift for them. That way you can probably find whatever it is that you want to buy for them on sale. If you are going to make it for them perhaps the material may be on sale and you will save money like that and have some left over for the next gift for someone else.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    That's generally a good idea if the gift occassion is coming up relatively soon. For example, I have a friend whose birthday is in January, so I always buy her birthday present just after Christmas. This does not work as well if the gift occassion is, say, September, unless you're absolutely certain that between now and then, the person won't buy it for himself or change his mind about it.

9. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I do this all the time. I have a gift box in the spare room, and every time I see something that will come in for a birthday or Christmas gift, I buy it and stow it. Sometimes, if an online order falls short of free shipping, I'll choose a gift for someone to make up the order, rather than buying something I don't really need. If I know who the gift is destined for, I'll wrap it and label it when it arrives, to save time later.

10. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    The problem with buying too far in advance is what if the persons' interests/wants/needs changes. I did it once for a kiddo I know and by the time his birthday rolled around he was completely over spiderman and had moved on to the incrdible hulk or something else.

11. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

That's what i'm doing my daughters birthday is next month so i'm buying everything i need including gifts now instead of waiting because a store near me that sells mainly kids stuff is having a blow out sale from Christmas a lot of the things that were out for Christmas are still there and they are 50 percent off so i'm jumping on it lol

12. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I normally purchase gifts on sale when one of my family members have an upcoming birthday. Its a great way to save money, but I never purchase the gift more than two months in advance.

13. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    That is very smart! It's a good idea to plan ahead, but you have Valentine's Day coming up before her birthday. Maybe there's an end of season clearance sale you can hit! Women keep a gift trunk of stuff they find on sale, why not you too?

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I normally would have hit the after Christmas sales this year to prepare for next year, but I'm on a fiscal fast this month so I had to disregard all those tempting sales and markdowns.

A fiscal fast means I'm only paying bills this month, using up the food I already have in the house, and using up all the product samples I've accumulated. I'm usually broke after Christmas because of all the after Christmas sales, so to start 2013 with some money in my savings, I'm doing the opposite of what I normally do and spending little to no money.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, as long as you have the money, then it's advisable to buy gifts as soon as they are on sale, to be able to take advantage of the discount. There really is no "correct" season to buy gifts in general, so as long you have the money, then go ahead and buy it!

16. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    You have a very valid point here and a good idea. After Christmas sales are very prominent. Yet when looking at them we tend to think why bother the holidays are over. But there are other occasions that these items can be given for as well. Such as birthday's, and anniversary's so this is a great time of year to look for such presents, even if the event is still months away. For that matter why not also plan for the next Christmas holiday when you stop to think it will probably be here before we know it.

17. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I usually pick up on decor items on the after holiday sales and had not thought of trying to get gifts from them before. It is a good idea in some situations but not so much in others. I could see gifts for adults working out much better than gifts for kids would. Kids change what they like on a weekly basis!

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If you have the funds, I think it's a great way to get ahead. It's so nice to be able to buy things on sale, even if you don't use them immediately. It means you don't have to pay full price later or rush around last minute to find the perfect gift.

19. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I usually pick up gifts here and there as I go. It's even better if the item is on sale. I used to wait until the last minute to buy all my gifts and it was really draining on my budget. So, for the last few years I've been spacing things out. By the time I get close to Christmas I only have to buy a few gifts which is really great on my wallet.

20. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have limited space. I usually buy gifts close to the actual date. I could save money buying stuff early, but I don't like clutter. Clutter gives me a headache.