Pet Emergency Fund?

Discussion in Pets started by Denis Hard • Oct 22, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The law of attraction may not work in your favor if you have such a fund. Am I being too 'superstitious'?

You'd ask, "Is there anything wrong with being prepared for the worst?" Would you by doing that be attracting "the worst" your way? I don't know.

But I'd like to hear what your thoughts on this are.

Do you have savings for [pet] emergencies? Ever had to use the cash because of [such] an emergency?

2. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a pet yet but I listen to this practicing vet on a podcast and he says that the smartest thing that he's ever done and one that he suggests to all his clients is that for every paycheck you get, you put in $50 for EVERY PET you have. You set that money aside (physically or in a separate account or whatever) and you use that fund specifically for pet medical emergencies. $50 over a long period of time is a LOT of money!

Also, I would look into pet insurance. It sounds ridiculous now but when your pet needs a major surgery or whatever and the insurance helps cover 90% of your cost, it's not so ridiculous anymore :)

3. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I always make sure I have spare cash stashed away for emergencies. You never know when a disaster will strike. Whether your dishwasher floods, the washing machine suddenly goes on the fritz, or an animal as you mentioned gets injured and requires medical attention. Just recently I had to visit the hospital twice in the same month for sudden ongoing pains that brought me to the point of screaming and flat against the floor. You can never tell when something horrible may happen that requires a huge lump sum. It's always good to be prepared!

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I think that it's giving in to too much superstition if you prevent yourself from making an emergency fund. It's much better to have one for your pet since we all more or less do it for ourselves already anyway, and that doesn't mean that something will happen to us just because we make a backup plan. I also agree with tangelo that insurance might be a better way to go about it especially if the amount you're hoping to save up equals what you would pay the insurance companies.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know whether I should put up an emergency fund for pets because only my family members are entitled to that. We do have lots of medicines on hand in case one of our pets gets sick. We have antibiotics, vitamin C, Betadine solution and Elizabethan collars to ensure our pets get the best immediate treatment possible. My brother used to study Veterinary medicine so he knows a lot about pet care. In addition, we simply ensure there are available funds for various emergencies (pets included but God forbid).

#5Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  6. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't even have savings for general emergencies right now (we had to fix our car and used up the little we had saved) but I don't see the reason to have a separate pet emergency fund. My pets are part of my family. I don't see the difference between a pet emergency and any other emergency. I would just save into 1 account for any emergency.

Tangela what that vet said is a nice recommendation but very idealistic, $50 for every pet we have is almost the same as my partner's full weekly paychek. That would only work for people who earn high enough to cover all their needs and still have a lot of extra.