Pet insurance

Discussion in Other Insurance Type started by dissn_it • Apr 20, 2012.

1. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone bought insurance on their pet? I heard that Progressive offers this but I am not sure if it is worth getting. If you have bought it, what exactly does it cover? If you haven't, is it something you would consider getting?

2. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I've been thinking about getting pet insurance because going to the vet can be a bit expensive. Plus, one of my chihuahuas is injury prone and it's expensive every time I take her in. The animal hospital does offer a pet insurance I want to do some research first before committing to anything.

3. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    I have pet insurance for my cat. It has saved me a lot of money over the past couple of years, as she needs regular medication, which would cost me £40 per month if I didn't have the insurance cover. Plus, I have the peace of mind of knowing that if she needs medical attention, I only have to pay the policy excess of £125.00.

I personally think it's is worth every penny. If your pet was involved in a serious accident, what would you do if you couldn't afford the vet bills, which could run into many thousands of ££?

4. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    My younger brother has a pet himself, and he does have pet insurance too. He only pays a small ridiculous rate for his pet insurance, and it's saved him some big bills in the past, which is good for him really since he probably wouldn't be able to pay for the bills himself.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for all of the replies! It sounds like it can be a really good thing to have. I am guessing that it works like any other type of insurance. Shop around, comparing prices and coverages and then deciding what works best for you and your pet.

6. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    I have not only because I don't have that much money.
    If we have a roof over our head and food for everyone to eat than we are
    doing good enough. Lets not go crazy with the additional add ons.

7. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    Around how much does pet insurance cost? If I get a puppy would his shots be covered under it? If so I would probably be willing to get it.

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I could do it. It's one thing having insurance when it's for you or the family and you can justify spending the money even if nothing is wrong, but for a pet? I couldn't begin to talk myself into it.

9. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think I could ever get pet insurance. I would rather pay out of pocket for emergencies. I can't even get insurance for myself right now so there is no way that my cat is going to get insured before I do!

10. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't insure my pet unless it won't cost me a lot of money. A normal pet from the pound or from a neighbor I wouldn't waste my money. If I had an expensive dog then I might look into the idea. I know all about this subject, I've written a blog post about it if anyone wants more information about pet insurance.

#10Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  11. crowan

crowanNew Member

Threads:
    I got my cats within three months of each other and they were babies and I looked into getting insurance for both of them. However I decided against it because they're inside cats and well taken care of. I don't see the need for many emergencies, so if something happens, I'll pay out of pocket.

12. eslucky

esluckyNew Member

Threads:
    I recently bought pet insurance for my puppy. I did a lot of research and finally settled on Pets Best. One thing to look out for is if they do not insure for certain hereditary things. I have a Golden Retriever and the only hereditary items they do not cover is epilepsy.

I also purchased a Wellness Plan that covers shots, blood work, and having her spayed. With all those things coming up the horizon I thought it was well worth it to include the Wellness Plan.

This is the first time I have bought pet insurance but after spending a small fortune on our older dog I thought it was the smart thing to do.

I chose to pay quarterly for the insurance. I have a $100 deductible and it covers 90% of the cost. Total for a quarter was $164.

13. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't have the insurance on my kitty. My female has not cost me much over her 12 years (and hopefully she remains healthy.) There was only one visit to the vet that was not a routine check-up and that was years ago. My male who passed away last year lived a healthy 17 years and only went to the vet for a check-up and for his shots.

14. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    The only per insurance I am familiar with doesn't really help. It will reimburse you for costs they feel should be covered but you still have to pay up front and then file a claim and get it back. Doesn't seem worth it to put up all my money in hopes I get it back; I might as well invest in something else for a rainy day.

15. ohheyguys

ohheyguysNew Member

Threads:
    Pet insurance is actually a great investment. I insured my pets right when I get them at a young age. When you start off young, the rates tend to be very low. Right now I pay about $10/month for my dog. Most of my vet bills are covered right off the bat with about a $20 copay. You really can't beat that for $120/year. Last year alone that investment saved me over $600 - I consider that money well spent!

16. shane002

shane002Banned

Threads:
    Comprehensive Pet Insurance programs for your dog or cat. Flexible and Affordable Pet Health Insurance.

17. sunny0012

sunny0012New Member

Threads:
    Pet health insurance pays the veterinary costs if one's pet becomes ill or is injured in an accident.

18. saver

saverNew Member

Threads:
    No I dont have pet insurance. I personally think that you dont need one unless you know when you buy you pet they have issues. Aside from that I dont really see a reason to buy insurance for a pet. I think that it might just be a money pit, unless you could find an insurance that doesn't charge a lot of money. I know a $500 surgery is expensive but that really isn't that bad for a pet.. But I dont know, I dont buy one and I dont see a reason too.

19. johan121

johan121Banned

Threads:
    Buy pet insurance and collect one of six exclusive meerkat toys! Fill in one quick form, compare the best pet insurance quotes and find the best deals.