Pet Insurance

Discussion in Pets started by Waynefire • Jun 26, 2012.

1. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I have recently looked at getting pet insurance for my dogs, but have decided against it. Now the reason for this is I have found they are full of hidden talk. For example, one plan would only cover my dog after they had been on the plan for six months, then it would only cover what it deemed to be necessary, not what the vet wanted. Not only that any type of cancer treatment would not be allowed, which I hope to never need, but still is something I want to have. So buyer beware!

2. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I got ShelterCare for my dog for the first few months after I adopted him. But I did cancel my subscription.

I did it for two main reasons: I was paying too much money and I felt like I wouldn't get my money's worth in the long run. In the end, I am happy to have cancelled.

I'm also lucky to have a good vet who charges reasonably.

3. sandees

sandeesMember

Threads:
    I have pet insurance for my two dogs! It is expensive, and sometimes I wonder if I should cancel altogether. My dogs have both needed surgery for minor things - and to be honest, if I didn't have insurance I wouldn't have gone through with it. But my insurance covered any dental work, surgeries, medication they need. Since my older dog is 10 - the blood work prior to surgery is covered; however a 'wellness' test at his annual checkup is not. So, when I found a small bump on his eyelid, i opted for surgery to get the blood work done to make sure his 10 yr old body is still young and healthy.

4. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I asked about pet insurance also. It seemed really high. I know they have more problems when they are older, but it seemed like you would pay a lot more with insurance than you would without. My dog has always been healthy so far with just a few extra visits here and there. I so far would be wasting my money. Plus my sister's dog had to have surgery and it was only about $1200. I don't think that's unreasonable and it's a worse case scenario. I don't see that it's worth paying all the time for a what if situation that turns out not being that expensive.

5. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    I have two cats. One is 13 1/2 years old and one is two. I have insurance for the two year old through Trupanion. I feel that the premiums are high, but not extremely unreasonable. I shopped and shopped, and found that Trupanion is the best value overall.

However, since they just jacked up the premiums, I may jack up the deductible.

I do not have insurance for the older cat, because I already know that they will not cover anything for her because it would all be pre-existing.