Pet Pig?

Discussion in Pets started by Mayvin • Sep 13, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Having a pot belly pig as a pet seems to be recent trend and at first it sounded ridiculous to me but when I read that they are highly intelligent animals some even say more so then dogs, it doesn't seem so strange. Yet, my cousin had a one of them and it got really huge as well as aggressive and it had to be put down because of that. I just wonder if he socialized it right and that's why it got that way, or if that's just what can happen with some potbelly pigs.

Has anyone owned or currently own a potbelly pig? What has been your experience?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never liked pigs and don't think I'll ever have one as a pet. However there this one story I heard which I thought I had to share with those who might be interested in having a pig for a pet.

So as far as intelligence goes . . . that proves that they certainly are intelligent.

3. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    If the person has a large enough home or garden to keep the pig happy, I don't see anything wrong with keeping one as a pet. As The other reply said, there are plenty of cases where a pig has saved people. A pet who can save my life seems like a heck of a good choice :p

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am very fond of pigs and used to play with piglets on my grandparents' farm when I was a kid. I also used to look after adult pigs, which would daily be let out into the field behind our house. My grandparents mainly kept the pigs as pets, but in certain emergency situations, such as when one of their big sows got an apple stuck in her throat and it couldn't be removed, they had to kill some of their pigs.
    I would love to have a pet pig one day. :)

5. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    Quiet often people get ripped off because they get sold regular pigs, not pot belly. That is why your friend ended up with a really big pig. Nothing wrong with big pigs but they are hard to keep as pets. Pets pigs in general do need a lot of behaviour training such as teaching not to jump up on guests, basic commands similar to dogs (stay, sit, come, down, etc), toilet training, and also conditioning so that they can be treated by a vet when required. They make fantastic pets if looked after properly, but do your research before buying one. Demand to see the mother pig before buying the baby pig is a good idea.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never owned a potbellied big yet, but reading stories of pigs saving lives inspires me to have a pet pig in the future. It must be better than having a pet cat. I think I might have to research though all about potbellied pigs first, because I know nothing about them, and so that I can't get ripped off.