phone camera or digital camera

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by TuRon Davis • Oct 22, 2014.

1. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Nowadays I find myself using my phone camera for just about everything. Since technology had advanced with camera phone megapixels, I really don't see any use for my digital camera. My cell camera is 8 megs and my digital camera is 12 megs. I really can't see any difference between the two in quality. The main advantage is always having my phone in my person. Do any of you only use just your cell to take pictures these days?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Photography is a passion of mine, so I am only ever satisfied with cameras that produce a high quality result. Unfortunately, my phone doesn't measure up to my personal standard, so I only use it for snapshots and documentary purposes. Fore everything else, I have my digital and analog SLR cameras. I am especially fond of my old non-digital camera which I use for art and experimental shots.

#2Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  3. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's really worth it to buy a regular camera unless you have a passion to take photos like the guy above. If you do, you should invest in one as it will allow you to take photos of incredible quality. However, if you just want to remember something and you don't care much about the quality of the photo, you should just stick with your camera on your phone.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not really interested in photography, so I'm quite content with the camera of my cellphone. As long as it takes clear shots, then I don't see the need to upgrade to a digital camera.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I hardly use my digital camera any more. It wasn't a very good one anyway. I use my phone all the time. The only reason why I'd carry around an extra camera is if I had a much nicer one like a dslr. Otherwise my phone is comparable to my digital camera.

6. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of Nokia's 41MP camera phone. Technology has come very far in such a short amount of time. I am not into photography, so my phone camera suits me just fine. I still want to buy a DSLR, but for no real reason. I guess I just want to see the difference for myself.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I beg to disagree, though. When I go to important or iconic places such as historical spots or some hidden paradise, I prefer to take really quality pictures. So I can never do away with digicams. Phone cameras do not take good pictures at night. They're only good when the sun's out. Digicams, on one hand, can be used any time of the day. Also, it's easy to utilize Photoshop when your pictures have high resolution. 8 megapixels is far too small for me. Just zoom in a few times and it'll be blurry already.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Well as someone who has never had a digital (or any separate camera for that matter) I have always used the camera on the phones I have owned over the years to take pictures. Thankfully I have always had the fortune of picking phones with a particularly good camera. The one I have now is a HTC One and the camera is a LOT better and clearer than the 4mp that it is advertised with!

9. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the time, it's my smartphone that I use to take pictures because my phone is always with me everywhere I go. But digital cameras take much better, higher quality photos than smartphones do. Smartphones are getting there but they're not all the way there yet no matter how much megapixels they have. When I do use my digital camera, it's when I remember I have it and that's usually on a day where there's a special celebration or event going on.

10. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Taking Pictures with The Smart Phone

Camera phones are important. I consider the specs of the camera on a smart phone when comparing phone models and when making purchases. I no longer use my phone to do anything too complex.

And when I travel, my mobile phone is sometimes the only reliable friend I have to take pictures. There is always the option of getting a photographer to take pictures, if there is enough budget for the task. But when they don't happen, I tend to just make do with what I have.

When I'm stuck, I take online courses to help me get around the difficult photography tasks that I would need to perform. Taking pictures of the moon and milky water ways, for example, are things you could do on your own, I learned.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pixels don't mean anything. The difference is between the optics, which mobile phones obviously can't incorporate into the small body..

12. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I have a digital camera but I find myself using my phone camera more because I can do more with my phone then a digital camera. Instead of plugging my camera up to a computer to edit or upload pictures, I can easily do it with my phone.

13. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the insight and replies you guys. I think what I got from you all is that cellphones are pretty convenient but despite the more advanced phones, the overall quality doesn't measure up to digital cameras. Me not being into photography makes it not bug deal to me. Just give me a decent shot to where I can at least see everything pretty clear. However, at the rate we're going with smartphones, I see them all being photography standard someday in the near future. As we progress, man is putting every aspect of technology into a single device and improving everyday.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I also just use my smartphone to take pictures since it's more handy as I always have it with me. Carrying another device that's even still fairly bulky is just not practical anymore. That said, I still prefer digital cameras a lot more but I just can't be bothered to bring them and. If I were taking a trip and wanted to have nicer pictures then I will bring it along, but on ordinary days I think I'll just stick with my phone camera.

15. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I never really used a digital camera before. I had one, but I still used my phone's camera because digicams are too bulky. Also, the specs of my phone's cam are much better. :) I can even upload the pictures instantly on social media.

16. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm very passionate about photography, so I wouldn't want to do without my digital camera altogether. The phone camera is great for when you're on the go and just snapping fun, random shots- but there is a definite and indisputable difference in quality, and you can't overlook that if you're serious about photography overall.

17. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's pretty much where I stand. I don't care about photography and I very rarely take any pictures at all, so that one shot per month or less is just fine with cellphone camera. However, cell phones will never be as good as conventional cameras. They just don't have the means to fit good optics in their bodies... At best, they can only be as good as low-mid level personal digital cameras for non-enthusiasts.

18. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    Digital Camera feels a bit bulky and outdated nowadays to be honest. Why not carry a good phone instead. I am planing to buy an iPhone soon enough, so I should have my requirements fulfilled.

19. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    I also use my phone for picture and video related projects and I regularly work with video and picture editing. The quality of a 1080p 14 mp camrea phone is basically the same quality of a high quality professional digital camera. Camera phones are becoming so common and used everyday to the point that digital cameras are losing business. I definately know that I will not purchase a digital camera no time soon and I plan on to continue using my camera phone. The only thing I probably will plan on prchasing is an additional camera phone for use of the camera only.