Photoshop Memory Problems...a Quick Fix?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by jneanz • Jul 15, 2015.

1. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I'm taking this class online for summer school but I have run into some problems. First, how can an image that is cropped off be replaced and when I tried to add lightning effects for an assignment, it said my computer didn't have enough memory. This was the only feature that gave me a hard time. I have 3 more weeks left.

2. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    For the memory, go to Preferences and check your scratch disks. You may need to increase the percentage amount of scratch disks being used. It happens to me a lot because I have a lot of things stored in the laptop so I am constantly increasing the scratch disk space. After I either delete or move to an external hard disk things in my laptop I lower the scratch disk percentage again.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Photoshop is a notorious memory hog. But for some reason, certain forms of malware/viruses will also make Adobe's apps, Photoshop and After Effects in particular, completely slow down and cripple your computer. I ran into this a few months ago, when I noticed I couldn't even have two Adobe apps open at the same time without getting memory error messages. I ran a bunch of antivirus and antimalware scans and none of them could find anything, but I knew there was something unusual going on because these apps ran relatively fine on this computer in the past. So I eventually decided to re-format my computer and reinstall everything, and as expected, I'm seldom getting any error messages about memory any more (unless I try to open some really huge file).

Another thing to keep in mind with Photoshop is that it will hold on to your computer's memory until you close out of it. So if you open a really large file then close out of the file but not the application itself, Photoshop won't give up that memory back to your system until you close out of the program itself.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks, I will give this a try. The good thing is that I explained this to my professor but got full credit anyway. However, I would like to learn more of these tips.