Picking Up Flowers

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Sunflogun • May 15, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Women love to receive flowers, but flowers these days are no so cheap as they used to. One thing I do from time to time is that I pick up my own flowers and I make the arrangement myself, believe me, it has another value and it's way more cheaper than buying them at a store! Anyone does this as well?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it would depend on where someone lives. There's a town I lived in once where the only green you'd see is in a park or two. Anyone who lives in a place such as this would find it very hard to find flowers to pick.

However for those who live in places where there are lots of wild flowers growing, I believe that picking flowers instead of buying them would be a great way to save money on flowers.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I knew my husband had gone and picked some flowers from wherever and arranged them himself for me, I'd be really touched by the gesture. I think it's very sweet. I haven't seen any place where we have an abundance of flowers growing around us, though :(

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's a nice old fashioned idea you see in movies, but these days you have to be careful where you pick flowers as often these are private gardens.

Even in parks it may be frowned upon, but as I don't like flowers I would rather not have them. There seem to be fewer places you can pick flowers without getting into trouble these days unless you live in the country.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My OH gets me plants. It's always nice to get flowers but in all honesty, I prefer a plant which can go in my garden and will last a while.

6. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Nice to see so many different opinions! Sure, it depends a lot of where we live, there are places where we simply don't see any. But if there are plants we can pick up, those are great and last way longer. As for plants, these are great if we have a garden, but if we live in a flat many times we simply don't have the space.

7. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I read your original post to mean that you picked your flowers up from the florist and then arranged them yourself at home rather than having them arranged and delivered, which would definitely save you a bit of money and still get you the same flowers you would have purchased if you'd had them arranged and delivered. Seems like an excellent idea to me.
    Others, however, read you post to mean that you went out and picked flowers growing wild or something. That, too, can be nice.
    I'm just wondering which you meant.
    Picking them up from the florist yourself makes so much sense to me. I worked for a florist for years. I know a lot of the cost added to that of the flowers is in the vase and the bows, etc. Plus the delivery. We used to have people come in and get flowers to take out and arrange for themselves fairly often. Makes sense to me. Anyone can make simple arrangements and when you do it that way you still get the same quality blooms you would if you went for the whole expense.

8. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I was meaning your second option, I just pick them in the gardens or woods around where I live, fortunately there are a few, and I can make simple, but beautiful arrangements. Anyone doing this knows that the flowers we pick up that way last well over a week most of the times.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Touche! What makes bouquets so expensive is that you're not only paying for the flowers but you're also paying the florist who exerted effort to wrap and arrange the flowers in an attractive manner. It is more cost-efficient if you pick out your own flowers, buy your own wrapper and ribbons and arrange the flowers yourself. Research online or read lifestyle magazines to get some wrapping and arranging ideas. If the person you're giving to asks where you got it, then proudly declare that you personally made the bouquet for him or her.