Picky About Bleach

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • May 6, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to clean with bleach, and of course it has its other assorted uses. I usually buy a scented one, since the smell of bleach is really harsh for me. It makes me sick, in fact, but I like how everything feels so clean when I use it. So, scented for me but I still buy whatever scented kind happens to be on sale.

A friend of mine swears by Clorox. Clorox is the only brand of bleach she trusts.

What do you think? Is there a big difference between brands of bleach? Do you buy whatever or only certain name brands?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not that picky about which brand I buy, it all depends how much money I have to spare. In general though, I prefer a brand called Domestos. I have no idea whether it is sold outside the UK but it does seem to be the most efficient and fast acting bleach available. We don't get Clorox here but I've heard it's good stuff.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yes, actually, there is a difference between brands. I didn't know this until we had a pool actually.

The different brands of bleach have different concentrations of chlorine. So even though a cheap offbrand might only cost a dollar or two, it was also only a fraction of the concentration, too.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on what you use it for. I like strong bleach, but I will use cheaper bleach for daily tasks. I use the generic brands and in the dollar stores they have branded ones at a lower price.

I buy what's available and the best value. I don't buy scented ones as I always air wherever I use bleach. I care more about the action than the smell.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only ever use natural bleaches, such as white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. I can't tolerate the smell of any kind of chemical bleach. It makes my throat ache and my eyes water. Also, I am very paranoid about getting it into my eyes or onto my skin. When I stayed with my boyfriend's family last summer, I used bleach because his mother prefers it. It was a major operation for me, with gloves, face mask and safety goggles. Everyone was laughing, but I got a headache after being exposed to it for only 10 minutes.

6. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    This is good to know. I always thought all bleaches were the same but preferred Clorox because well just because of the name. I'll do my detective work on my next shopping trip.:D