Planning Any 5k's This Year?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by eagletal88 • Feb 28, 2015.

1. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I am preparing to run my first 5K this year and am quite excited. I have always stayed active, and have played soccer for years so I don't have much problem with running, but I never tried to run a 5K before. I am not looking to run an amazing time, but would like a respectable result.

Anyone have any recommendations or tips for running your first 5K?

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I have already done a half marathon and a 5k this year and have several more planned. I am not a pro or an amazing runner by any means. My average time is about 12 minutes per mile; if I push myself to go faster, my knees and hips become very angry with me. I love running 5Ks, they are always so much fun and when they are well-organized you can really get caught up in the fun of it all. That makes the run seem like nothing; it's over before you know it.

Good running shoes are a must of course! I like Brooks the best, but it's definitely a personal preference. I went to my local running store and had them do a gait analysis so I would get the shoe that worked best for my step and stride. Another thing I would recommend is to invest in a good running watch. I have the Garmin Forerunner 220. Keeping an eye on my pace in real-time helps regulate my speed so I don't push too hard and end up losing steam at the end and also helps me maintain my own personal goals.

As far as the actual running, just learn to pace yourself. You don't want to go too fast too soon, or too slow that you end up way behind. And, don't forget to hydrate!!

3. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on your fitness level and mentality going into the 5k. If you are nervous, then just do your best to start out slow and pace yourself, to be sure you've get enough energy to keep going through the whole thing. The time will fly and you'll be so energized by the group spirit, you'll make to the end no problem.

If you are already more energized and exited to run, then what I find fun is to start in the middle of the pack, and then make a game out of slowing catching up on people and passing them. That's how I've gotten my best times which were just slightly under a 10 min/mile.

Otherwise, since I am not a fast runner, I can't give any tips on how to try and win or anything! But they are a lot of fun, so enjoy!