Planning gifts in advance

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Gelsemium • May 6, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have space to save gifts, buying them in advance is a great way to save money because we can take advantage of the existing promotions and buy stuff for Christmas or even birthdays. Is this something you do or do you prefer to buy just a few days before?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually buy gifts for specific people in advance. I do, however, buy little gifts here and there when I find cute stuff on sale, like necklaces, earrings, shower gels, little gift sets on sale... but I usually just buy them as emergency gifts to give away when I didn't expect to need to gift someone, or just find out I was invited to a party one day before!

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tend to re-gift the items that I don't use anymore or the items that I don't like that were given to me, so that's my version of thought out gifts in advance, so unless the person that I intend to give the gift to is special to me, then I won't really bother buying gifts in advance.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I've bought gifts in advance only to find that during the holiday season [could be Christmas, Easter, etc] they offer some crazy discounts that make me regret having bought the gift before the right time. Last year for example when I bought some greeting cards some time in July, when the time for sending the gifts came round and I went looking around for more greeting cards, I discovered that they had [on sale] better greeting cards [the general design was great] retailing at much lower prices.

Maybe I had made the wrong calculations . . .

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    This is something I prefer to do. It is very ideal but because of my lack of time, often I just go buying gifts few days before Christmas. And because I am not good at cramming, I am not able to find the most suitable gift for those whom I am giving, and I hate myself for being like that. I also think that it is more enjoyable to shop gifts if you are not cramming it, if you are not pressuring yourself, and if you are able to save a lot without having to compromise the kind of the item you are giving as a gift.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    As long as you are thinking about it I'd say you are on the right direction. If I had more space I'd buy everything in advance because they make crazy promotions that leave it pretty obvious that nothing better will come. Sadly I live in a small flat and I can't take advantage of that.

7. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I like to buy gifts for Christmas at christmas time as I like the experience of shopping in the stores when they are all Christmassy. For birthdays I'll buy presents whenever I see them. Each christmas there are three people I have to buy presents for but don't like buying them as they don't appreciate them and I can never find a gift, inconveniently all three of their birthdays are within a few weeks either side of christmas so in January this year I went and bought them each a birthday and christmas present with 70 percent off in the January sales. Bargain as they were only £2 or £3 each which would otherwise have been £10 to £20 each next christmas. The only problem is they take up so much space in my cupboard, nevertheless, I think I'll buy next years presents for them in January again.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I see something that reminds me of a person I will pick up and save it until the gift is needed. I try to get a few in advance and then purchase more ideal gifts during the season, I do like to shop during the holidays.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Got to love your Christmas spirit Jrh2, but I have to say I don't have it! For me shopping at Christmas time is something totally insane, shops are crowded, prices are higher, lots of articles are unavailable, it's a nightmare really!! No sales in Christmas... ;)