Plants at home

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Strykstar • Jul 2, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you have many plants at home? And do you have lots of care with them, like using special soil or vitamins?
    I have a couple of them but I don0t really take care of them that much, I just water them when the soil is getting dry and that's it.
    They don't really do bad in The House but I'm wondering if I watered them more and used some kind of fertilizer they would do better.

2. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    If they are doing fine now then you are doing the right thing, so don't worry. It is great to have house plants due to the fact that house plants clean the air withn 100 feet of the plant itself. I thought that was pretty cool, and a great reason to get more plants for the house!

3. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Well to answer this you really need to specify what kind of plants you have to help us better answer your questions. Some plants need less water while others need more. If they are doing fine, I wouldn't worry too much about it. However, you could do research and find out.

But for a little hint, plants like cacti and Aloe Vera need less water and more sun. Plants like vegetables and fruits need a good nutrient rich soil and water. I have plants on my patio, and I use a store bought fertilizer from Walmart and water them twice a day.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Here where I live now, not so many since I have little space. My grandparents however have a big yard full of potted flowers, placed here and there, for decoration. And it's funny because when my grandparents were younger they didn't care about plants, a big contrast with these years when they cannot stop buying more. But what can I say? It's a healthy hobby for both the mind and the body at their age.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mainly grow herbs and small vegetables, such as cherry tomatoes, chillies and cucumbers in my apartment. My herbs don't need any special attention, but my vegetables like a bit of natural fish oil fertilizer and mulch. They are all doing rather well on the balcony and on my window sill, getting plenty of sunshine.

6. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    If you want your indoor plants to do better growing then consider buying some new Miracle Grow soil. I usually use that for basic plants in the house or even if I'm going to plant outside. The feed time on that soil is about 6 months but I change it every four months. You should start seeing a drastic change in the way your plants growing. And don't forget to bring to prune so that way you're dead leaves aren't sucking in nutrients that could help re grow where the dead leaf is.

I hope this helps.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've been trying to grow a couple of ficus, a Peace Lily plant and a Prayer plant.
    Like I said, they haven't been doing bad, but I'm not sure whether they need any specific care of if I need to use some fertilizer on the soil.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, we have a lot of plants in our front and backyard , but my dad takes care of them because he is the only one who is passionate and is interested in taking care of them. They seem to be fine, and all he does is to water them regularly. I think plants can perfectly be healthy with just simple water, and fertilizers are not really necessary.

9. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have quite a few plants, but when I had my kids I needed the space and I got rid of most of them. I did remain with two violets (almost 15 years now with me) and an Aloe Vera, this last one has an utilitarian value because every time I get burnt or have some skin issue I use it, so I guess it's my favorite from the three. :)

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's interesting about the Aloe Vera, I've always heard a lot good things about it's uses in health situations but I never thought about having one in the house.
    Does it take up much room? And isn't it spiky and therefore dangerous to have around kids?
    I guess if the get pricked in the plant you just use the plant to heal the prick though :D