Plastic Or Glass Jars?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Nov 8, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I am buying something like peanut butter, the type of jar it comes in does make a difference. Does a glass jar cost more, or make it look more expensive? A plastic one may be more practical but is it cheaper? I prefer a glass jar because it keeps the peanut butter fresher, but recently I have found my favorite (Sun-Pat) now puts it into plastic jars. I'm not sure if it's to cut costs, or because they think plastic is safer than glass.

Does it influence you choice when buying, as I hate it when the oil separates at the top?

2. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I find that products in glass are usually of a higher quality, and therefore more expensive. We have lots of plastic jars in my house, needless to say.

Aside from the potential for breaking if dropped, I don't think glass is safer than plastic. If nothing else, glass won't release weird chemicals if heated. So I imagine plastic is chosen specifically to save costs.

3. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    I hate it when the oil does that too. It makes me not even want it anymore. I already am not a big fan of peanut butter, but for it to be oily...gross. Anyway, I've never really noticed any glass jars for peanut butter. I've always just gotten the cheaper one. I haven't had much trouble with anything but the store brand stuff.

4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    Of its some organic peanut butter then I guess it should be sold in a glass jar. You wouldn't want the chemicals of the plastic to mix into the product. Though if you don't care about having the world's best high quality peanut butter then go for the ones in the plastic jar. This is also a good idea if you have kids and you allow them to make their own sandwiches. Therefore if one of the kids accidentally drop the peanut butter on the ground there is no worry about shattered glass everywhere.

5. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I love both definitely. It is just I am SUPER clumsy, so nothing lives to tell what happened to itself... I rarely have glass around me, knowing how it will for sure break with me around haha. I think I have had both though. I love both equally; just glass does not live long enough when it is with me. It is still a buy since it is safe elsewhere.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never paid any attention to the cost of an item in plastic or glass jars. I like plastic for the safety issues more than glass. That is the only concern I have when it comes to which I will purchase first.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In general more companies are switching to plastic. I noticed in Lidl, the olive oil is now in plastic bottles rather than glass. Maybe it is lighter and easier to transport as costs in shipping maybe heavier and there are more damages in transit with glass bottles?

I do look at price, but I do think glass protects and stores better than plastic.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As much as possible, we buy food products that are in glass jars or glass bottles. It is our tradition to stay away from plastic containers ever since my grandmother said that plastic is not a good container because it is not natural like glass or ceramics. She banned the use of plastic glasses in our house and other kitchen utensils made of plastic. And although plastic is more durable since it doesn't easily break, we just try to find non-plastic containers.

9. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The funny thing is the same stuff find in plastic can also be found in some glass. So, no I don't take into consideration if it is plastic or glass. What does bother me is if the plastic is very thin or if the glass feels like it can easily break if squeezed.

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just bought some olive oil the other day. Usually I buy it in a glass jar, which is my preference, but this one was cheaper, and was in my budget, so I bought it. I would prefer glass, because I am concerned about chemicals leaching into my food, but it probably won't take me long to use up this bottle, and I'll most likely replace it with a glass bottle. I considered keeping the glass bottle and pouring this olive oil into that, but since I know I'll be buying more soon for the holiday season, I didn't bother. Like @TheLovingLeah@TheLovingLeah I'm very clumsy and break things a lot in my tiny kitchen, so I do have a lot of plastic jars/bottles around, but I will still buy my next batch of olive oil in a glass bottle.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I ride the bus, so I love plastic everything. When you commute on the bus you got to sometimes be aware that things might break like glass jars, so I try to get everything in plastics. Plastics are lighter too and makes it best to buy when you have to carry things for a bit. Plastic works great for everything for it's light and won't break on you when you got to ride the bus.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if it's habit or not, but I almost always opt for the glass jar. I've never even thought to look at the price. The last time I bought peanut butter in a plastic jar, I wasn't impressed with the taste. Although I'm sure the taste had nothing to do with it being in a plastic container. I've noticed that Black Cat has brought out peanut butter in margarine/butter type plastic tubs. I think that's what I'll buy next.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, I do think that is a better way to do things and decant into a glass bottle because then you can store the olive oil away elsewhere. I do get concerned with big heavy bottles and that they can smash and also in transport if they get cracked. Sometimes you don't find out until much later on and it's too much of a risk then in case any fragments have gotten into the food.

14. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As everything now comes in so many different kinds of packaging and my priority when shopping - is generally the quality of the contents rather than the type packaging - I have to be honest and say - that whether there is a price difference between products packaged in glass to those packaged in plastic is not something that I've ever really noticed - mainly because I don't have a comparison - as I haven't as yet - ever come across any identical products that offer a choice of two different kinds of packaging.

That said - although I do much prefer glass and do actually buy quite few glass packaged products - as they are only available that way - I do think that plastic and cardboard carton packaging is probably now more preferable - not just to the consumer but to the manufacturers - as not only is it more durable and less likely to break - but also lighter and in some cases easier to store too.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Glass jars are too fragile for my liking. Any slight accident that sends the jar flying off the counter and . . . it's a loss. Considering the fact that glass jars tend to be heavier the likelihood of such accidents occurring, especially if kids handle them, is quite high. And the glass shards, once [the jars are] broken, can be quite dangerous.

This is why always will prefer plastic jars any time.

16. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I do not usually favor one brand over another in terms of whether it is purchased in glass or plastic jars, jelly or jam as one example. I usually purchase whatever brand is the least expensive, which is usually in a plastic jar. I am not sure that I have ever seen peanut butter in a glass jar, I have only ever purchased it in a plastic jar. Groceries such as tomato sauce and pickles are usually bought in glass jars, due to the acidity, I think.

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tend to buy whatever is less expensive when it comes to things where the brand doesn't really matter. I would still prefer glass jars over plastic. If there is a choice between comparable items at comparable prices, and one is glass and one is plastic, I'll choose the glass one. Glass jars can then be used for a variety of other things.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never considered the container when buying peanut butter or other things before, but for me it really doesn't matter as long as I am satisfied with the product. I think plastic is better though because glass containers can break.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm okay with both. I'm extremely clumsy so I have problems with glass items but thankfully it's not that severe that I have to keep buying only plastic container items. I also favor plastic containers for being lighter too. Personally, I don't think that glass or plastic has any bearing on the quality of the product, as I always buy Japanese mayonnaise that is in a plastic container and it definitely tastes more premium than the local mayonnaise we get in glass jars, albeit it's still above average in quality at that.

20. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    Glass jars because they are more environment friendly and I am comfortable with them being re-used without thinking about the toxic chemicals and other harmful substances that a plastic container may have. Disadvantage is that I cannot place glass containers in the freezer for a longer shelf life of stored food, but still I am all for safety and health. We used plastic ones in the past but the news and media have been warning to avoid over using plastic containers and bottles since they have harmful effects in the long run.