Plato's Closet

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by mpvb • May 5, 2015.

1. mpvb

mpvbNew Member

Threads:
    As far as selling second-hand juniors clothing, I absolutely hate Plato's Closet with a passion. They claim that they buy trendy clothes with styles within the past year and they give you good money for it, but if you've ever tried, you know that's not quite the truth. The average you'll get for an item is maybe $2 - $1.50 depending on what it is. I honestly feel like sometimes the employees who work there that choose the clothes to buy don't know what real fashion is. They seem to only buy low-end teen clothes that they know will sell, like Forever 21, Wet Seal, Papaya, etc, and will sell a top for maybe $8 and jeans for $10. If you have anything in excellent shape from J.Crew, Banana Republic, Gap, or anything along those lines, it's really not worth it to try and sell to Plato's Closet. They will give you $3 at the most. Don't waste your time!

2. azeemah kaleem

azeemah kaleemMember

Threads:
    Plato's Closet is a rip off to me because a lot of the items are plan garbage. I don't really see any great deals they have for being a resale shop. I feel like its better to just shop at one of the well known retailers and pay full price. I went once and never returned again.

3. missfortune81

missfortune81Member

Threads:
    Ugh, I completely agree! Total rip-off. The one and only time I went in there with a bag of clothes to sell, they refused half of it. They bought a nice pair of boots that I had and some barely worn, expensive designer jeans. Never again.
    I don't even know of a decent place where I could sell my clothes, as I am also not impressed with Ebay, either. I understand why you don't get paid with Ebay right away, but it is frustrating when you need money quickly.

4. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I was going to take some hats and shoes (never worn!) to them in hoops of getting $10 each.
    Sounds like it might just be a big waste.
    Do you guys have any other suggestions?

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unworn stuff usually odes well on eBay as long as it is competitively priced. Do an advanced search for recently ended auctions and find out what the going rate for your item is and price it accordingly.

6. Diana Smith

Diana SmithNew Member

Threads:
    I don't like it either. Platos Closet has some very high prices for used items and I have actually seen some of the items brand new in other shops for less than they are pricing them in Platos Closet.

I also tried selling some of my daughter's clothing to them which were only worn a few times and in excellent condition and they would not buy any of her items. I was very disappointed with them.

7. Liv6

Liv6Member

Threads:
    Normally it is a total rip-off, but I actually had a good experience there while shopping once. I happened to stumble across a seven-dollar Rebel Spirit hoodie that was in decent condition . Sometimes, you can really find a diamond in the rough. However, I agree; overall, my experience at Plato's Closet hasn't been as superb as I'd like it to be. I try to go there only when I'm hard-pressed for extra cash.

8. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, rip-off, BUT for stuff I was just going to donate anyways, why not make a nickel or quarter off of it!? The same goes for Once Upon a Child. They give you pennies for your items, but again it is better than nothing IMO

9. yascaydeki

yascaydekiNew Member

Threads:
    My friends all love going there to sell things because it's easier than listing, but I've always agreed with you. I brought a bunch of brand new Urban Outfitters stuff with tags on them, and they wanted to give me $25 for all of it. The bag of stuff I brought was worth a few hundred dollars. I'm not going to sell for $2 rather than taking the time to go on Vinted or eBay.

10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Plato's Closet is really just for teenagers or people who are desperate for money. That's why they don't give much for most items. It's essentially a pawn shop for clothes. Personally, I don't have a problem with the store. They have some nice items for pretty cheap prices. And selling to them is better than throwing clothes away. At least you come away with a little bit of change.

11. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    Try poshmark. It's an online consignment shop where other people buy your items. Make sure you take good pictures of your items as it will really help your sales. I'd recommend downloading the app and playing around on it first to see if it's something you may use. I've had a lot of success on it.

12. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    I completely agree with you! The employees have no idea what good, quality clothing is. The first and last time I sold clothes there, I had really good brands like Levi's and Eddie Bauer and I also had some brand new clothes from the Dollar General. They passed on the Levi's and Eddie Bauer but took the Dollar General stuff. I couldn't even believe it. The employees are also very snotty.

13. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I couldn't imagine selling to a place like Plato closet. You would think that by now they would lose some business? I mean the commercials make it seem like a "cool" place to shop and sell. This must be like some type of bait and switch. This can't be good for business having bad customer service and having employees that don't know what they are doing.

14. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Hey thank you, I have a bunch of things I want to get rid of but I'm not happy with what I can do with ebay, CL, or Kijiji (Canada's CL.)
    The Kijiji app is actually fantastic for certain things, but for anything you wear it has no activity.

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I went to the Plato's locally here on Oahu and found their things don't fit me. I've never tried to sell there though. For a second hand store they are pricey. I pass by a Jeans West store and they have nice things with very good prices and I'd rather go there to shop.

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a Plato's closet in this area, but I don't own any trendy clothes, well, maybe one. garment...and I think they probably cater to those who wear smaller sizes...which I do not...I just don't think it would be practical for me to shop there. They advertise on the radio...but the store is not close to hear so I think I will forget about going there.