Please don't greet my dog when he is excited.

Discussion in Pets started by Jacek • Oct 17, 2012.

1. Jacek

JacekNew Member

Threads:
    I have a 1 yr old Tornjak that is 100 pounds and still growing. He is a guardian dog, and very good at his job already. He is a happy boy and gets very excited when people he knows come and visit. The problem I am having is the people get him too excited when arriving. Instead of waiting for him to calm down they start talking, playing, or petting when he isn't in a calm state. My dog then nips, pokes his big head in the person's belly, or jumps up. I have told them no touch, no talk, no eye contact until my pup calms down, Ceasar's rules.
    I am tired of correcting my pup when it is the visitor causing the problem. How can I get it across without causing a problem?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    That's a really big dog!
    You can try explaining to them that you are trying to train him using Ceasar's methods and will really need their help in doing it or it simply will not work. Then explain to them what exactly it is that they need to do in order to help you. I would also explain to them that if you don't get him trained soon, he will be much larger and harder for you AND them to handle when he is full grown. If they know that they are helping you and that they will get time to interact with him eventually, they may be more willing to lend you a hand. Good luck!

3. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have the same trouble with my dog when she was a pup . She was so cuddly and adorable ( she still is by the way) that people would pet her and carry her.. that she started to insist that everyone did it..she would get so excited that she would dribble pee over them.. I had a tough time training her..I took the help pf my neighbor to train her.. My neighbor would only pet her after she calmed down.. She mellowed down a lot after 8 months now she is the most well behaved dog I know of.

#3Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    My opinion is that if people can't contain themselves and help you teach your dog the behavior you feel is appropriate for him, then they deserve the nipping, poking and jumping. When I see someone's dog who likes to stand on their hind legs and put their front paws on you, depending on the size of the dog I may catch their paws in my hands and talk to the dog. Pets are a bit like kids in their enthusiasm, but it's not their fault that some of their behaviors are inconvenient for the rest of us.

5. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Boy you have one very big dog there. I would estimate that one of my dogs Oso is about 100 pounds, but he is now full grown. To think that your dog is still growing at that size. Anyway about your problem, I take it this is a dog you like to have in the house. The reason I am asking is because Oso is only allowed in the house at certain times. The rest of the time he is pinned in the backyard with our other dog. This keeps him from jumping on or even attacking visitors. One option maybe to consider pinning your dog in the back yard or to place him in another room when you know company is coming. Yes, this doesn't solve the problem of unexpected company, but I have to agree with those who told you that if you warn people about trying to pet your dog while he's excited and they don't listen then its no longer your problem is something happens. You gave them the warning and they chose not to listen to you.

6. copper

copperMember

Threads:
    Well, this is a very common matters with such a pet actually it is their nature. Hence nothing to do in case of unknown people but tie up it.

7. catilla

catillaNew Member

Threads:
    My suggestion is before opening the door to your visitor tie the dog to your hand, open the door together and once there explain to your visitors the rules. Puppies at that age are very very active and you have a big dog which is sometimes difficult to control, but basically at this dog's age is very important to make them clear who puts the rules.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like to tell my visitors beforehand of any pet behavior that needs addressing. That way they know not to try to excite my animals. I usually don't have people who just drop in, but if the drop ins try to rile your dog up, then they deserve the pouncing. Scolding your dog isn't going to help. Try informing your guests beforehand.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had the same problem with one of my dogs. It's basically rewarding the dog for inappropriate behavior. I agree with the others and the methods you're trying to use, so I guess I have nothing to add. It does take time, so tell any visits BEFORE they come that you really need this to work and not to even acknowledge the dog until after it's calmed down. That's all you really can do. If they can't cooperate, then meet them somewhere else? lol.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with the member that said that you should just tie your dog. It's more convenient, and it spares you from having to explain the problem to your visitors.

11. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

Just tell them in a nice way you don't appreciate it and they need to respect your rules. I have the same problem with my dog and I just tell them hey wait till he comes down than I tell them okay you can pet him lol.

12. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I have a similar problem. My dog does not like when people hover over his head and talk baby talk to him. When this happens, the dog growls. I do not tolerate growling at humans so if this happens I correct him. However, as many times as I've told our family NOT to do that to him, they do. And at some point I feel I should let him growl because he has the right to say "knock it off!" doesnt' he?

13. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I guess you need to explain to your visitors about your dog. I can't blame them, you have a adorable dog. I love dogs. Sometimes it is hard to restrain yourself in giving attention to them. But as I said you need to tell them what you are doing with your dog. They will surely understand and willing to help you.

14. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I would suggest trying some of the above posts and seeing if they work. Does Ceasar address this issue in any of his books? I would check there for suggestions. Also, does he have a website where you can ask this question to him? Good luck!