Pool or Ocean?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Strykstar • May 19, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I have both available for working out, is there any advantage to signing up for the pool when the ocean if free?
    I have to go for the pool in the Winter since the Ocean is very cold but now I'm thinking of just going for a swim in the ocean for exercising in the Summer and save the money I would use for the pool use.

2. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    It depends how much you are willing to spend financially. There are advantages to using a pool for a workout. The major issues you would have to face using the ocean is the salt water and dealing with possible marine life like jellyfish. I would say using a pool would be better if you can afford it. But you do generally have to deal with crowds in pools. So also keep that in mind when making your decision.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Pools are designed for swilling laps and you usually have a lifeguard if something goes wrong. Swimming in the ocean can have many random hazards from sea life to boats. While I would love to be able to actually swim at our beaches most are too crowded in the summer to get in more than a few strokes before having to avoid someone or something. I am fortunate to have a third option - cool, clear mountain lakes with few hazards.

I would certainly give the ocean a try as it is not only cheaper but you also have better scenery.

4. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I think this really depends. I find for exercise, pools are better because you can do a number of lengths. I love the ocean though when it comes to having a fun day out with friends :). The ocean is a great place to get together with people and have fun. The sound of the ocean is beautiful and taking my children to the ocean for a day out I find relaxing. They all come home tired and I get a peaceful evening.

5. Kevin128672

Kevin128672Member

Threads:
    I prefer pools, because then you can just swim laps or swim back and forth. This is great for exercise and is also relaxing because pools are usually less crowded. Swimming in the ocean can be fun, but it tends to be much more crowded and hectic.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ocean for sure!!!! I enjoy pools, but there is something about the sea that is so powerful!! I love the waves, the salt (which does wonders to little bruises in your skin!), I love the freshess of the waves that come and go, there's always fresh water with each wave. Not to mention I love the beach in itself. I love laying in the sand and getting a tan!!

7. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    I'd choose pool, it's safer and the water is cleaner there. I don't know about your beach, but whenever I go to a nearby beach there is this disguising smell that 'kills' my desire to swim there. Unless money is a huge issue to you, I'd suggest going to pool.

8. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Why choose a pool when you have the ocean available? I'd rather bathe in the great open waters of the Earth than in the bodily fluids of fellow men ;) Now, if it's winter or cold outside, I can see why a pool is the better choice. But if it's sunny and summer, why pay money for something you can get for free?

Granted, you rarely see sharks in the pool hehe ...

9. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, unless you can be absolutely sure that there is nothing to hurt you in your part of the ocean (and you are a good enough swimmer) then I'd opt for a pool. They are not as expensive as you might think these days, as pretty much every gym that has one offers deals to get you in these days.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    No problems of that sort on the beach near me, the water quality is great and there's never any people in he morning when I usually work out...

11. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I think either or is fine. I personally like the pool for out because I can focus mainly on the workout. The ocean is more of somewhere I enjoy going when I am on vacation. This is probably because I do not live close to a beach so I am mainly in the pool.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Swimming in the ocean requires more strength than swimming in the pool. If one can manage quite well swimming in the ocean, then it's better. Since it's harder, the body is required to exert more effort, burning more calories and getting much stronger faster. The only thing that's making me not comfortable swimming in the ocean is that I can't see anything underwater, almost pitch black. I also can't swim without goggles, or else my eyes would surely get hurt.

13. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know, to me I see the ocean as more of a place I go to for relaxing and just having a good time. Pools are much better designed for swimming laps, especially ones that require some sort of membership. Especially if it's an indoor pool, you don't ever have to worry about the outside weather when you want to go workout.

Obviously, if money is a big issue, then the ocean can be a good secondary option for working out. But I prefer to workout in pools over the ocean.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Had someone asked me a long time ago if I'd prefer swimming at the pool or the ocean, I'd have chosen the ocean hands down. But I had a bad experience which changed made me dislike the ocean or any other natural body of water. When swimming once, my friends and I found a rotting corpse in the water. Most of us gave up swimming forever.

Should the urge to swim overwhelm me, a swimming pool would be my only option.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think both could be considered equal when it comes to exercise, since you'd mostly only be limited by your output anyway, but when it comes to leisure, I think the ocean might be a bit better since you could float a bit easier in salt water. I personally still prefer the pool, though, because I'm not a very big fan of the saltwater taste and the overall experience of the beach just doesn't appeal to me. That, and it's way more comfortable for me to just do laps in a pool and even have a good sound system set up beside it with some drinks waiting for me for when I finish.

16. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yikes! I'm sure that would turn most people off to ever swimming in an ocean or lake ever again. Where did you guys find it? Just swimming in the ocean or lake somewhere?

Certainly, I don't think you'd run into this problem swimming in a pool.

17. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Well swimming in the free ocean is fairly dangerous because you'll never know what's in it, you might get stung by something before you even know it. But pools are design specifically for swimming so it's easier to swim there also, you have the benefit of safety since the place is well guarded and there's nothing there that can sting you. But if you're in a budget just go for the open ocean, just be extra careful.

18. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    IF I had the ocean access every day, I'd take advantage of that any day! I have to settle for a pool as the nearest ocean is 13 hours away! Pools limit your ability to do much while the ocean is endless in space. You're best bet is to go take advantage of that free beach you have.