Poor Packaging

Discussion in Shipping Services started by Adeal4u • May 22, 2012.

1. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I ordered some hair gel a couple of weeks ago from Amazon. When the package arrived the jar was cracked. I looked inside the box and they packed it with styrofoam. I think for a 5 lb tub of gel, styrofoam isn't enough to keep it from breaking. They should've used the bubble wrap, but I worked at a warehouse before, and they hate to use too much bubble wrap. They told me a roll of that stuff is expensive, and they said to use it sparingly. I got in contact with the seller at Amazon, and I got a partial refund. Have you ever received damaged merchandise because of poor packaging?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have, too, although not quite like that. I've never had issues getting a full refund, though, because hey, if the product is damaged, that's not my fault. Most companies don't want to take the hit to their reputation over something that only costs a tiny amount to them anyway.

3. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Sorry to hear that. I know when you are looking forward to getting something and it arrives damaged its very disappointing. Thats the only problem with Amazon. You get great deals for sure, but they are all a bunch of rinky dink vendors trying to make a buck. They can't afford to refund because they don't do the revenue like the bigger stores...

4. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I have! The last package I got had the worst packaging ever. It was just a T-shirt, but the package was nothing but a black bag with some tape. In customs or the mail itself in my country things get stolen all the time or people just want to have a peek. They should have at least used some bubble wrap or something.

5. adolf

adolfNew Member

Threads:
    Poor packaging can cause time waste and it can also convert off customers. I store consistently from websites. But fortunately I have never got my items or goods in poor packaging. But when you are awaiting getting something and it comes broken its very frustrating.

6. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I have received furniture with scratches due to the box being mishandled and tossed around so it breaks and tears in certain spots and exposes the actual product. I have never ordered anything in a fragile container so I would say I haven't had that experience - yet.

7. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    Fortunately for me, I haven't had to deal with poor packaging before. But that might be due to the fact that I don't really order anything online that has the potential to break. But I can understand how this is frustrating and a lot of a hassle.

8. william22

william22New Member

Threads:
    I have! The last package I got had the worst packaging ever. It was just a T-shirt, but the package was nothing but a black bag with some tape.

9. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I once purchased a space heater that got damaged in transit. The seller promptly sent me another one and asked me to dump the broken one, as it didn't make sense to spend on postage to return a damaged item. Only if all sellers are as understanding, professional and helpful as this!

10. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely have though mine isn't as bad as what many have experienced. I purchase loads of books from online bookstores and the one big issue I have is that I always receive them with little creases, pages bent or even torn and sometimes, the books actually look as if they got wet in transit and eventually dried up on their own. It really is frustrating for me especially since I love to collect my books in their mint condition and especially if that book cost me a bomb! These problems are caused sometimes by poor packaging such as using a small box made of soft card for a paperback. Since the packaging does not absorb shock and isn't waterproof, the book will probably suffer some damage in transit since they go through so much rough handling by the machines and postal workers. If I do receive a damaged book that is properly packaged, I sometimes would just turn a blind eye and accept the good since it really isn't the merchants fault this time around. I guess we all have to give and take if we want to shop online!

11. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you are expecting too much. It's a tub of gel, it's not a fragile item. The chances of a plastic tub of gel being damaged are minimal. I think most companies should use LESS packaging when the product isn't fragile. It's a huge waste of resources.

12. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    I'm sorry to hear that you weren't completely satisfied with your product from Amazon. I somewhat know what you are going through considering the fact that I order from that website a week ago; I was kind of displeased. When the package arrived, it was in the packaging envelope--I ordered a charger for my Acer laptop. I thought that the product would be in a box but it wasn't inside of anything, just the envelope. I loved the product, it hasn't given me any problems thus far and I hope that I won't encounter any issues in the future. I don't know if I will feel comforter order from their again because all of the products seem to be pre-owned.

13. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Why didn't Amazon give you a full refund? You got nothing but a broken jar, it's their fault.

I have received damaged goods a couple of times. I try not to buy any fragile things though, because I know for sure they'll arrive broken thanks to the incredibly clumsy post office workers we have.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fortunately, I haven't bought anything yet that came in poor packaging, but since you bought the item from Amazon which is a big company, then I can understand your disappointment. Maybe you just bought it from one of those smaller stores that sell at Amazon, that's why you only got a partial refund.

15. johan121

johan121Banned

Threads:
    I have, too, although not quite like that. I've never had issues getting a full refund, though, because hey, if the product is damaged, that's not my fault.

16. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I've only gotten poor packaging from eBay sellers. I bought a box of cookies off someone, and when it arrived it was just in a big paper envelope with some tape! The cookies weren't damaged, luckily, but I made sure to say that I was disappointed in the packing when I left her a review. I personally always try to make sure things are packaged well, and the item won't be damaged in transit when I send buyer their items.